[MyAppleMenu] Dec 19, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Dec 19 18:59:00 EST 2013

*** Cut The Rope 2 Now Available, Exclusive To iPhone And iPad ***
<http://www.imore.com/cut-rope-2-now-available-exclusive-iphone-and-ipad-0>
Richard Devine, iMore

*** How To Turn Old Photos Into New Holiday Calendars ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2080855/how-to-turn-old-photos-into-new-holiday-calendars.html#tk.rss_all>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

*** Making The Most Of iMovie's Lesser-known Features ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2081761/making-the-most-of-imovies-lesser-known-features.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> In past iMovie lessons we’ve talked about the application’s interface, importing media, constructing a basic movie project, creating trailers, and iMovie’s more persnickety editing features. It’s time to put a bow on the series by taking note of a few remaining features that you’ll find helpful in your movie making.

*** Awesome Stocking Stuffers For Your New iPhone ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2080867/awesome-stocking-stuffers-for-your-new-iphone.html#tk.rss_all>
Leah Yamshon, Macworld

*** Final Cut Pro Updated To Version 10.1, 4K Monitoring, Mac Pro Optimisations And More ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/12/19/final-cut-pro-updated-to-version-10-1-4k-monitoring-mac-pro-optimisations-and-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Benjanmin Mayo, 9 To 5 Mac

> Final Cut 10.1 also adds 4K support, including monitoring across Thunderbolt 2 and HDMI displays as well as 4K titles, transition and generators.

*** Rdio App Updated With iOS 7 Keyboard, Redesigned Profiles And Sleep Timer Feature ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/12/rdio-app-updated-with-ios-7-keyboard-redesigned-profiles-and-sleep-timer-feature>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Apple Slapped By Australia Consumer Watchdog ***
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/12/18/apple-slapped-by-australia-consumer-watchdog/>
Robb M. Stewart, Wall Street Journal

> Following an investigation by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, the technology giant agreed to bring the warranty on the goods it sells in line with Australia’s laws.

> The regulator alleged Apple had in some cases wrongly applied a 14-day return policy and a 12-month warranty.

*** Best Alternative Mail Apps For Mac: Airmail, Postbox, Inky, And More! ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-alternative-mail-apps-mac-airmail-postbox-inky-and-more>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** EA Discounts Its Premium Games For The Holidays ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/12/18/ea-discounts-its-premium-games-for-the-holidays/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

*** Second Gear Releases Photos+, A New Way To Look At Photos On Your iPhone ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/12/18/second-gear-releases-photos-a-new-way-to-look-at-photos-on-you/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

*** Apple!! ***
<http://thadenpierce.org/?p=6585>
ThadenPierce

> We were encouraged to give him lots of visual memories before he loses more eyesight, and he made up a wish list. We were amused he asked to go see the Apple Store – we told him we weren’t sure when we could make that happen but we would try someday. One morning we woke them up early to “run an errand” and this is what happened next…

*** Apple To Ship New Mac Pro On Dec. 19 ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2080928/apple-to-ship-new-mac-pro-on-dec-19.html>
Dan Miller, Macworld

> Apple promised that it would ship the new Mac Pro in December, and it appears that it’s kept that promise: The distinctively cylindrical power machine will be available for order on Thursday, December 19, the company announced on Wednesday. Customers can place their orders via the Apple Online Store, at Apple retail stores, or select Apple Authorized Resellers.

*** Research Shows How MacBook Webcams Can Spy On Their Users Without Warning ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/12/18/research-shows-how-macbook-webcams-can-spy-on-their-users-without-warning/>
Ashkan Soltani And Timothy B. Lee, Washington Post

> Marcus Thomas, former assistant director of the FBI’s Operational Technology Division in Quantico, said in a recent story in The Washington Post that the FBI has been able to covertly activate a computer’s camera — without triggering the light that lets users know it is recording — for several years.

> Now research from Johns Hopkins University provides the first public confirmation that it’s possible to do just that, and demonstrates how. While the research focused on MacBook and iMac models released before 2008, the authors say similar techniques could work on more recent computers from a wide variety of vendors. In other words, if a laptop has a built-in camera, it’s possible someone — whether the federal government or a malicious 19 year old — could access it to spy on the user at any time.

Also: <a href="https://jscholarship.library.jhu.edu/handle/1774.2/36569">iSeeYou: Disabling the MacBook Webcam Indicator LED</a> (JScholarship)

*** Here's How To Check Your Apple TV's Netflix Bandwidth Using A Hidden Built-in Tool ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/12/17/heres-how-to-check-your-apple-tvs-netflix-bandwidth-using-a-hi/>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

*** I Baked Them Myself ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/18/booming/i-baked-them-myself.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Joyce Wadler, New York Times

> This was when I encountered my first surprise in Christmas Cookie Land: These things do not hold their shapes when you bake them. You remember “Alien: Resurrection,” when Sigourney Weaver finds a lab with cloned, monstrous versions of herself gone wrong and one of the deformed Sigourneys begs the real, or at least the successfully cloned and beautifully toned, Sigourney to kill it?

> My snow persons were like that.

*** Upon This Burger ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/17/opinion/bruni-upon-this-burger.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Frank Bruni, New York Times

> Its signature was a six-ounce patty of coarsely ground, loosely packed, steak-quality beef that had been seasoned just so and was served on a soft, Portuguese-style roll. It cost $8. You ordered it at a table, and could have booze.

*** Life At The Speed Of Light By J Craig Venter – Review ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/dec/19/life-speed-light-j-craig-venter>
Peter Forbes, The Guardian