[MyAppleMenu] Aug 21, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 21 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Top 5 Mac Racing Games To Get Your Motor Running! ***
<http://www.imore.com/start-your-engines-best-racing-games-mac>
Richard Devine, iMore

*** Apple Updates iBooks With iCloud Fixes ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/21/apple-updates-ibooks-with-icloud-fixes/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

*** When Apps Modify Behavior ***
<http://massivegreatness.com/why-frontback-works>
MG Siegler, Massive Greatness

> The idea is almost laughably straightforward: take a picture of what you’re looking at with the back camera of your phone, then take a photo of yourself with the front camera. The app then automatically stitches those two pictures together, one on top of the other.

*** Apple Updates Logic Pro X With Bug Fixes ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/20/apple-updates-logic-pro-x-with-bug-fixes/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

*** WriteDown 2.0 Features iCloud Syncing, iOS 7-Inspired UI And More Improvements ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/08/writedown-2-0-features-icloud-syncing-ios-7-inspired-ui-and-more-improvements>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> Released just last month, WriteDown is, as noted by Christine in her review of the app here on AppAdvice, “a Markdown text editor for your iPhone with some powerful features.” And now, thanks to the app’s new 2.0 update, those powerful features have just been increased with the addition of several notable enhancements.

*** Apple Release iTunes Festival London 2013 App With Refreshed Design ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/20/apple-release-itunes-festival-london-2013-app-with-refreshed-des/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

*** Hype HTML5 Creation Tool Gets New Features, iOS Previews With 2.0 Update ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/hype-html5-creation-tool-gets-new-features-ios-previews-with-2-0-update/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Tumult Hype, a powerful HTML5 content creation tool for OS X, was updated today to version 2.0. Designed to allow web developers and designers to create rich, animated web content without relying on plugins (like Flash) or other native code, Hype — launched in 2011 by former Apple engineers — has always been at the forefront of HTML5 editing software on the Mac thanks to a polished interface, powerful features, support for Apple’s iBooks Author, and compatibility with several web browsers and technologies.

*** Google Maps For iOS Gets Waze Incident Reports ***
<http://www.imore.com/google-maps-ios-gets-waze-incident-reports>
Joseph Keller, iMore

*** The Final Frontier: 10 iOS Apps For Astronomers, Stargazers And Amateur Space Explorers ***
<http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/08/20/space-the-final-frontier-9-ios-apps-to-help-would-be-astronomers-and-stargazers-explore-the-galaxy/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheNextWeb+(The+Next+Web+All+Stories)>
Nick Summers, The Next Web

*** A Great App For Chronic Snoozers ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/software/carrot-alarm-ios/4505-3513_7-35826678.html?part=rss&subj=latestreviews&tag=title&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cnet%2FYIff+%28CNET+Latest+Reviews%29>
CNET

> Carrot Alarm is a unique alarm clock app that made me laugh with its cheesy humor and seems like it would be a fun way to get up in the morning.

*** How To Silence Your Mac’s Startup Chime ***
<http://www.mactrast.com/2013/08/how-to-silence-your-macs-startup-chime/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=how-to-silence-your-macs-startup-chime>
Chris Hauk, MacTrast

*** Overview Of SCM Tools ***
<http://www.macinchem.org/blog/files/6814f05115efa0458d79232ebaaf9ab6-1292.php>
Macs In Chemistry

*** Mac Gems: Born To Hand Jive? Use Flutter To Control iTunes And Out-dance 'Em All ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2046145/mac-gems-born-to-hand-jive-use-flutter-to-control-itunes-and-out-dance-em-all.html#tk.rss_all>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

> The app aims to let you control your music and Keynote slides with hand gestures and your FaceTime camera, with ambitious long-term goals for scrolling, swiping between screens, and more.

*** Apple Developer Center Outage Fixed 'Remote Code Execution' Flaw ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/20/apple-developer-center-outage-fixed-remote-code-execution-flaw/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

> Apple has released new details on the security flaw that caused the Developer Center to be down for more than a week, noting via its Apple Web Server notifications page that a "remote code execution issue" was fixed.

*** The Best Free And Paid Text Editors For The Mac ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-free-and-paid-text-editors-mac>
Peter Cohen, iMore

*** YouTube 2.0 For iOS Released With Picture-in-Picture, Updated Design ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/youtube-2-0-for-ios-released-with-picture-in-picture-updated-design/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> The big new feature of this version is picture-in-picture for videos, which allows you to keep watching a video while browsing or searching.

*** Hype 2.0 For Mac And Hype Reflect For iOS: HTML5 Interactive Design Tools Come Of Age! ***
<http://www.imore.com/hype-20-mac-and-hype-reflect-ios>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

> If you're looking to create HTML5 assets on the Mac, look no further. Hype 2.0 and Hype Reflect make it easier than ever.

*** Elmore Leonard’s Rules For Writing Are Full Of Exceptions ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/08/20/elmore_leonard_rules_for_writing_are_full_of_exceptions.html>
David Haglund, Slate

> In other words: Don’t do these things, unless you’re good at them. Then go ahead. Which is actually, in itself, not terrible advice.

*** The Zombie Apocalypse ***
<http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article08191301.aspx>
Wayne Curtis, The Smart Set

> Texting while driving can kill you. Texting while walking will eat your brains and heart.

*** The Notorious MSG’s Unlikely Formula For Success ***
<http://www.buzzfeed.com/johnmahoney/the-notorious-msgs-unlikely-formula-for-success>
John Mahoney, BuzzFeed

> The “umami” craze has turned a much-maligned and misunderstood food additive into an object of obsession for the world’s most innovative chefs. But secret ingredient monosodium glutamate’s biggest secret may be that there was never anything wrong with it at all.

*** How Four Years Can (And Should) Transform You ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/21/books/mark-edmundsons-essays-ask-why-teach.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Michael S. Roth, New York Times

> If I meet any students heading to the University of Virginia, I will tell them to seek out Mark Edmundson, an English professor and the author of a new collection of essays called “Why Teach?” For Mr. Edmundson, teaching is a calling, an urgent endeavor in which the lives — he says the souls — of students are at stake.

*** Clawback ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/talk/financial/2013/08/26/130826ta_talk_surowiecki>
James Surowiecki, New Yorker