[MyAppleMenu] Aug 20, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 20 18:59:01 EDT 2013

*** Seemingly Benign “Jekyll” App Passes Apple Review, Then Becomes “Evil” ***
<http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/08/seemingly-benign-jekyll-app-passes-apple-review-then-becomes-evil/>
Dan Goodin, Ars Technica

> The researchers from the Georgia Institute of Technology used the technique to create what appeared to be a harmless app that Apple reviewers accepted into the iOS app store. They were later able to update the app to carry out a variety of malicious actions without triggering any security alarms. The app, which the researchers titled "Jekyll," worked by taking the binary code that had already been digitally signed by Apple and rearranging it in a way that gave it new and malicious behaviors.

*** Wacom Unveils Pressure-sensitive Intuos Creative Stylus For iPad ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/20/wacom-unveils-pressure-sensitive-intuos-creative-stylus-for-ipad/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

> The stylus is a pressure sensitive device with 2,048 levels of sensitivity that Wacom says is as close to the experience of pen on paper as anyone has gotten on the iPad yet.

*** How To Move Files Between Accounts In OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57598927-263/how-to-move-files-between-accounts-in-os-x/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=MacFixIt>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> If you have documents saved in your account that you would like other users to access, then there are several approaches you can take.

*** Enable Time Zone Support In Calendar App For Mac OS X ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/08/17/enable-time-zone-calendar-mac-os-x/>
OS X Daily

> If you rely on Calendar app for just about anything and travel or work across time zones with any regularity, this is a worthwhile feature to turn on, particularly for those who also sync the calendars between OS X and iOS.

*** Apple Seems To Be Allowing 200 Test Devices Per Developer Account Now ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/19/apple-seems-to-be-allowing-200-test-devices-per-developer-accoun/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

> While Apple has not yet updated its developer support documents officially announcing the change, I've been able to independently confirm the increase in allowed test devices with a number of developers.

*** Mac Gems: Winclone Is A Must-have Utility For Boot Camp Users ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2046131/mac-gems-winclone-is-a-must-have-utility-for-boot-camp-users.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

> This utility can create a disk image of your Mac’s Boot Camp partition, making it easy to back up that partition, restore it from a backup, or transfer it to another Mac.

*** Barnes & Noble Launches Nook Video Apps For iOS, Android, And Roku ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/19/4636802/barnes-noble-launches-nook-video-apps-ios-android-roku>
Chris Welch, The Verge

*** Review: Plants Vs Zombies 2 Sticks To Its Roots, But Paywall Leaves Us Feeling Dead Inside ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2046992/review-plants-vs-zombies-2-sticks-to-its-roots-but-paywall-leaves-us-feeling-dead-inside.html#tk.rss_all>
Chris Holt, Macworld

> Despite a freemium model that nearly spoils the crop, PvZ2 is still a blue-ribbon mobile title with a charm and humor that is beyond garden-variety.

*** Apple Makes Changes To Affiliate Program ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/19/apple-makes-changes-to-affiliate-program/>
Ilene Hoffman, TUAW

> Apple announced today it is bringing in a new affiliate program partner for its iTunes, App Store, iBooks Store and Mac App Store affiliate program. Performance Horizon Group (PHG) adds more countries (more than 100) and better reporting tools to the program.

*** From Art Book To iPad App: Josef Albers’ Classic Work Undergoes A ‘Magical’ Transformation ***
<http://news.yale.edu/2013/07/25/art-book-ipad-app-josef-albers-classic-work-undergoes-magical-transformation>
Elizabeth Connolly Martell, YaleNews

> “Interaction of Color” — Josef Albers’ iconic book that taught legions of students and professionals alike how to think creatively about color — has been given a modern makeover as an iPad app, just in time for the 50th anniversary of its publication by Yale University Press.

*** BusyCal 2.5 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14029?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS