[MyAppleMenu] Aug 14, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 14 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** 2013 iPhone Photography Awards Showcase Some Stunning Photos ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/08/14/2013-iphone-photography-awards-showcase-some-stunning-photos/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apple Releases AirPort Base Station And Time Capsule Firmware Update ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/14/apple-releases-airport-base-station-and-time-capsule-firmware-up/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

*** How To Delete Duplicate Email Messages ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2046576/how-to-delete-duplicate-email-messages.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** Popular AVPlayer Gets Enhanced Audio Controls In Latest Update ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/08/popular-avplayer-gets-enhanced-audio-controls-in-latest-update>
Joe White, AppAdvice

*** DirecTV App For iPad Gets Redesigned With New Look And New Navigation Features ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/08/directv-app-for-ipad-gets-redesigned-with-new-look-and-new-navigation-features>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** PresenterCue For Mac OS X Displays A Speaker’s Remaining Time ***
<http://appledailyreport.com/2013/08/14/presentercue-for-mac-os-x-displays-a-speakers-remaining-time/>
Dennis Sellers, Apple Daily Report

> Nominari has announced presenterCue for Mac OS X. It’s a free (well, sorta) app that lets the user input a list of speakers, then show them their remaining time on multiple displays as they speak.

*** Contact Management App VipOrbit Hits Mac App Store ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/13/content-management-app-viporbit-hits-mac-app-store/>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

*** Yelp For iOS Now Allows Full Reviews From iPhone Users ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/13/yelp-for-ios-now-allows-full-reviews-from-iphone-users/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

*** How To Fill An Uneditable PDF Form In OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57598295-263/how-to-fill-an-uneditable-pdf-form-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> A number of programs including Apple's default PDF handler "Preview," offer the ability to mark up a PDF document, and you can use this as the means to fill out an otherwise static PDF form.

*** Apple Acquires Matcha ***
<http://allthingsd.com/20130813/apple-acquires-matcha/>
John Paczkowski, All Things D

*** Carl Icahn Makes A Large Investment In Apple ***
<http://allthingsd.com/20130813/carl-icahn-makes-a-large-investment-on-apple/?mod=tw_appl>
Arik Hesseldahl, All Things D

*** Freshly Squeezed Reviews: ArtRage 4 For Mac OS X ***
<http://appledailyreport.com/2013/08/14/freshly-squeezed-reviews-artrage-4-for-mac-os-x/>
Frank Petrie, Apple Daily Report

*** Best Cloud Storage Apps For iPhone And iPad: Dropbox, Google Drive, SugarSync, And More! ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-cloud-storage-apps-iphone-and-ipad-dropbox-google-drive-sugarsync-and-more>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Daylite 4.3 Update Streamlines Business Management On iOS And OS X ***
<http://www.imore.com/daylite-business-management-software-ios-and-os-x-adds-new-features-43-release>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> Daylite is Marketcircle's business management software with project management, customer relationship management, scheduling and much more.

*** Mac Gems: MYStuff Pro 2.0 A Flexible Inventory Database ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045947/mac-gems-mystuff-pro-2-0-a-flexible-inventory-database.html#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> MYStuff Pro is a database easy enough to use for most people, but has features for people who want a more complex database.

*** Apple Briefly Sells Entire Harry Potter Collection For $10 In iTunes ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2046553/apple-briefly-sells-entire-harry-potter-collection-for-10-in-itunes.html#tk.rss_all>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> If you didn’t already buy all the Harry Potter movies for $10, you’re too late.

*** PrintLife Mac Print Project App Adds New Greeting Card Features ***
<http://www.imore.com/printlife-mac-print-project-app-adds-new-greeting-card-features>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> The software helps you create greeting cards, labels, letterheads, gift tags, lists, and a variety of other print projects, and it comes bundled with 7.6 GB of artwork to help dress up your projects.

*** Daily iPhone App: 4 Snaps Is A Free Puzzler With A Social Twist ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/13/daily-iphone-app-4-snaps-is-a-free-puzzler-with-a-social-twist/>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

> After picking a partner, either by user ID or from a list of Facebook contacts, you and your friend take turns snapping sets of four photos to help the other player guess a specific word.

*** Endangering The Herd ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2013/08/anti_vaxxers_why_parents_who_don_t_vaccinate_their_kids_should_be_sued_or.html>
Jed Lipinski, Slate

> The bottom line is that the government’s interest in protecting children from getting the measles should trump parents’ interest in making medical decisions for their kids.

*** George Orwell: A Life In Letters ***
<http://bnreview.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Reviews-Essays/George-Orwell-A-Life-in-Letters/ba-p/11094>
Michael O'Donnell, The Barnes & Nobel Review

> No volume can resolve the contradiction between Orwell's genial nature in person and his penchant for ferocity on the page -- his impatience with fellow travelers and liars, and his over-fondness for broad, raking fire.

*** Book Review: ‘Brewster’ By Mark Slouka ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-review-brewster-by-mark-slouka/2013/08/13/4f7bc316-f8c9-11e2-b018-5b8251f0c56e_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Ron Charles, Washington Post

> Mark Slouka’s new novel is set in the late 1960s, not far from Woodstock, but you can’t feel any heat from the Summer of Love. Although the brooding teenagers in these pages listen to Jefferson Airplane and grouse about the Vietnam War, “Brewster” is about as psychedelic as a bruise. Instead, this is a masterpiece of winter sorrow, a tale of loss delivered in the carefully restrained voice of a man beyond tears.

*** Have We Literally Broken The English Language? ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/13/literally-broken-english-language-definition>
Martha Gill, The Guardian