[MyAppleMenu] Aug 13, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 13 18:59:01 EDT 2013

*** Apple Aerial Map Photos Blocked Over Oslo In Norway ***
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23675327>
Zoe Kleinman, BBC

> There are security concerns about access to detailed views of government buildings, says newspaper Aftenposten.

*** Apple Selling 'Lord Of The Rings,' 'The Matrix' Trilogy, And Other Complete Series Starting At $9.99 ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/13/4617018/apple-box-set-movie-deals-lotr-matrix-harry-potter>
Jacob Kastrenakes, The Verge

> A number of complete film series are available for $9.99 as a digital box set, including The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Matrix trilogy, the Austin Powers trilogy, all four Lethal Weapon films, and — perhaps the best deal of the bunch — the complete eight-film Harry Potter series.

*** Civilization V: Brave New World Review ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/reviews/?reviewid=3463570&olo=rss>
Cliff Joseph, Macworld UK

> Brave New World really epitomizes what the Civilization series is all about. There’s combat aplenty if that’s how you like your strategy games, but the political, religious and cultural elements that it adds to the mix create a game in which you really can develop an entire civilization, rather than just building up a big army. It may be rather complex for beginners, but Brave New World is a must-have expansion for existing Civ fans.

*** Microsoft Updates Skype With HD For iPhone And iPad, Adds Mobile BI App ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2046456/microsoft-updates-skype-with-hd-for-iphone-5-and-ipad-4-adds-mobile-bi-app.html#tk.rss_all>
Mark Hachman, TechHive

*** Apple To Support Third-party USB Power Plug Trade-ins Beyond U.S. & China ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/08/12/apple-to-support-third-party-usb-power-plug-trade-ins-beyond-u-s-china/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

> Over the past couple of days, Apple has updated its Support Page for the USB trade-in-program to note a few other supported regions and the corresponding discount pricing: Australia ($14 AUD), Canada ($11 CAD), France (10 €), Germany (10 €), Japan (¥1,000), and the United Kingdom (10 €).

*** Solving Apple ID Frustrations ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2046132/solving-apple-id-frustrations.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> If you use the iTunes Store, or any other Apple online service such as iCloud, you have an Apple ID. This is the email address associated with your Apple account. I get lots of questions about Apple IDs, and in this week’s column I answer a number of them.

*** Apple Adds Free iBook Offer To Apple Store App ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/12/apple-adds-free-ibook-offer-to-apple-store-app/>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

> The over-the-air update allows users to download Margaret Wise Brown's children's book <i>Away in My Airplane</i> as a free iBook.

*** Mac App Of The Week: File Shredder Helps You Securely Delete Files ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/12/mac-app-of-the-week-file-shredder-helps-you-securely-delete-fil/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

> File Shredder uses an algorithm to overwrite the file with data and erase it past the point of recovery.

*** Apple Offers Ebook Settlement Terms… In Europe ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14019?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

*** No Laughing Matter: Why The University Novel Is Now More Tragedy Than Comedy ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/aug/12/university-novels-comedy-to-tragedy>
Jonathan Wolff, The Guardian

> Are people still writing comedy campus novels and we have just stopped noticing, or has the genre come to a halt? And when did things change?

*** A Black Hole Mystery Wrapped In A Firewall Paradox ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/science/space/a-black-hole-mystery-wrapped-in-a-firewall-paradox.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Dennis Overbye, New York Times