[MyAppleMenu] Aug 9, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 9 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** KeyMe For iOS Lets You Digitize Your House Keys For Safekeeping ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/09/keyme-for-ios-lets-you-digitize-your-house-keys-for-safekeeping/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

> A new app called KeyMe has launched that allows users to scan copies of their physical keys for safekeeping. Should those keys ever become lost, users can log into their app and order a duplicate key right away.

*** Hands-on: Tastemade Turns Everyone Into A Food TV Star ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2046208/hands-on-tastemade-turns-everyone-into-a-food-tv-star.html#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> The Tastemade app takes the pain out of generating good content, and it does it for free—which gives the company an opportunity to attract users who have the talents but not the means to be the next great food critic, without the need for the massive resources of a TV network behind them.

*** Explore The History Of Disney's Animated Films In The 'Disney Animated' App ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/09/explore-the-history-of-disneys-animated-films-in-the-disney-an/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

*** 5 Essential Tools That Every iTunes User Should Have ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2046058/5-essential-tools-that-every-itunes-user-should-have.html#tk.rss_all>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

> If you use iTunes regularly, you probably have a litany of frustrations with the software, as well as a list of “I wish it did this” items. I know I do. Here are five tools that will help bend iTunes to your will.

*** Apple Pays Dearly For Price-Fixing ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/09/opinion/apple-pays-dearly-for-price-fixing.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
New York Times

> At a hearing on Friday, the department will argue that its plan to remedy Apple’s misconduct will “restore lost competition.” In a narrow sense it may, but the problem with this case all along was that the department ignored the potentially bigger anticompetitive force in the e-book market — Amazon — while focusing on Apple.

*** Mac Gems: Can't Wait For Mavericks? TotalFinder Offers Finder Tabs And More ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045204/mac-gems-cant-wait-for-mavericks-totalfinder-offers-finder-tabs-and-more.html#tk.rss_all>
David Chartier, Macworld

> Apple’s forthcoming Mavericks update to OS X will finally bring some new features to the Finder. But BinaryAge’s TotalFinder 1.4 still offers the real power tools for users who work with files frequently and need more control (or users who have a Mac that they won’t be upgrading to Mavericks).

*** Art Text 2 … And I Know What I Like ***
<http://appledailyreport.com/2013/08/09/art-text-2-and-i-know-what-i-like/>
Frank Petrie, Apple Daily Report

*** Review: Pro Tools 11 ***
<http://www.sonicscoop.com/2013/08/08/review-pro-tools-11-by-zach-mcnees/>
Zach McNees, SonicScoop

> Pro Tools 11 is now utilizing the power inside my current machine so much more efficiently that it’s likely going to save me several thousands of dollars in computer upgrades alone this year.

*** Logic Of Logic Pro X ***
<http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=466&objectid=10910544>
Mark Webster, The New Zealand Herald

> Logic Pro X looks a lot bolder and more visual, easier to see at a glance what's happening or where you are, and things that you now click on often open up logical windows or features that you'd expect, rather than do nothing as was sometimes the case with Logic 9.

*** Roku App Now Beams Videos From Your iOS Device To Your TV ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2046226/roku-app-now-beams-videos-from-your-ios-device-to-your-tv.html#tk.rss_all>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

*** Hightail (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414714,00.asp?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ziffdavis%2Fpcmag+%28PCMag.com%3A+New+Product+Reviews%29>
Jeffrey L. Wilson, PC Magazine

> Who among us hasn't felt the sting that comes when an email fails to reach its intended recipient due to a mammoth file attachment? Hightail (formerly known as YouSendIt) specializes in remedying that problem by allowing users to upload large files to its servers and then share the simple, lightweight generated link with others.

*** Mac Gems: iDraw Has Surprising Horsepower For An Affordable Graphics App ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045193/mac-gems-idraw-has-surprising-horsepower-for-an-affordable-graphics-app.html#tk.rss_all>
Nathan Alderman, Macworld

*** Voice Dream For Instapaper And Pocket Text To Speech ***
<http://macsparky.com/blog/2013/8/voice-dream-for-instapaper-and-pocket-text-to-speech>
David Sparks, MacSparky

> If you’ve ever wanted to have your iPhone read out loud entries from your Instapaper or Pocket lists, Voice Dream is exactly what you’re looking for. It grabs any selected article and reads it to you out loud.

*** MixBit For iPhone: Shooting, Editing And Sharing Bits Of Video ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/08/mixbit-for-iphone-shooting-editing-and-sharing-bits-of-video/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

> While you can shoot video bits as short as one second long and up to 16 seconds long, you can also stitch up to 256 of those bits together to create an hour-long opus.

*** Rdio, Now With Better Stations And ‘You FM’ ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/rdio-now-with-better-stations-and-you-fm/>
Cody Fink, MacStories

*** Hands On: Shutterfly Photo Story For iPad Makes Photo Books That Talk ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2046150/hands-on-shutterfly-photo-story-for-ipad-dispatches-photo-books-with-narration.html#tk.rss_all>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

> A new iPad app called Shutterfly Photo Story lets you use your tablet to create both online and hard copy photo books, complete with your own audio narration.

*** Boundless Brings Text Book Alternatives And Study Materials Right To Your iPhone ***
<http://www.imore.com/boundless-brings-text-book-alternatives-and-study-materials-right-your-iphone-and-ipad>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Afterliff: The Spirit Of Douglas Adams ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/aug/09/afterliff-douglas-adams-jon-canter>
Jon Canter, The Guardian

> Writing the follow-up to Douglas Adams's comic dictionary was weird, but it was destiny.

*** Rituals Make Our Food More Flavorful ***
<http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/09/rituals-make-our-food-more-flavorful/?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Catherine Saint Louis, New York Times