[MyAppleMenu] Aug 8, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Aug 8 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** iTunes In The Cloud Movies Hits Austria, Estonia, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovenia, Switzerland ***
<http://www.imore.com/itunes-cloud-movies-hits-screens-japan-and-7-new-european-countries>
Richard Devine, iMore

*** All The New Stuff In IFTTT For iOS, And What You Can Do With It ***
<http://lifehacker.com/all-the-new-stuff-in-ifttt-for-ios-and-what-you-can-do-1032710106>
Thorin Klosowski, Lifehacker

> The mobile app adds three new channels to IFTTT: iOS Photos, iOS Contacts, and iOS Reminders. It doesn't look like much at a glance, but those three channels enable you to do all sorts of cool new things.

*** Evernote Review ***
<http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/apps/evernote.aspx?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LaptopMagazineNews+%28LAPTOP+Magazine+-+The+Pulse+of+Mobile+Technology%29>
Molly Klinefelter, Laptop Magazine

> Although we wish it had handwriting recognition -- a feature many other note-taking apps have -- Evernote benefits from an excellent organizational structure and slick syncing capabilities.

*** Airport Extreme ***
<http://eggfreckles.net/notes/airport-extreme/>
Thomas Brand, Egg Freckles

*** Microsoft Offers 15GB Of Free SkyDrive Storage For One Year To iCloud Users Losing Their Free 20GB ***
<http://www.imore.com/microsoft-offers-15gb-free-skydrive-storage-one-year-icloud-users-losing-their-free-20gb>
Joseph Keller, iMore

*** Publishers Object To U.S. Remedy In Apple E-book Case ***
<http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_23818011/publishers-object-u-s-remedy-apple-e-book>
Associated Press

> "Rather, under the guise of punishing Apple, they effectively punish the settling defendants by prohibiting agreements with Apple using an agency model," lawyers for the publishers said.

*** How To Quickly Lock Your Mac To Keep Your Chrome Passwords Safe! ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-quickly-lock-your-mac-keep-your-chrome-passwords-safe>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> Since there's renewed attention on Google Chrome not securely storing passwords, lots of people may be wondering what they can do to prevent people that have physical access to their computer from stumbling across their login information.

*** Deus Ex: The Fall Update Supports iPad 2 ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/07/deus-ex-the-fall-update-supports-ipad-2/>
Yoni Heisler, TUAW

*** Thoughts On Twitter's New Two-Factor Authentication. ***
<http://blog.authy.com/twitter>
Authy Blog

> We publically tested this about a year ago and realized that showing the IP, location, browser or any other data wasn't enough for people to determine if they should or not authorize a request. Further this data is easy to spoof (like location), so if the attacker is familiar with the user, he can easily select "good" values to further trick the user into authorizing the request.

*** Book World: A Publishing House’s Back Story In ‘Hothouse,’ By Boris Kachka ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/hothouse-farrar-straus-and-giroux-by-boris-kachka/2013/08/07/5e332770-fbab-11e2-8752-b41d7ed1f685_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Michael Dirda, Washington Post

> Many, if not most, readers are hardly aware of who publishes their favorite authors. Without looking, could you name John Grisham’s publisher? Or J.K. Rowling’s? Or Thomas Pynchon’s? Probably not. Only those who make their living in the book industry, starting with the writers themselves, tend to know or care that Knopf means classy and distinguished, that Simon & Schuster is a commercial powerhouse and that Farrar Straus Giroux — the subject of this juicy new book by New York magazine contributing editor Boris Kachka — has long possessed unrivaled literary cachet.

*** Kindle Surprise And Disappointment ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/science/occams-corner/2013/aug/07/1>
Stephen Curry, The Guardian