[MyAppleMenu] Aug 10, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 10 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Mac Gems: Multimon Makes For Better Multiple Monitor Support In OS X ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2046230/mac-gems-multimon-makes-for-better-multiple-monitor-support-in-os-x.html#tk.rss_all>
Josh Centers, Macworld

*** All Developer Center Services Back Online, Members Receiving One Month Extension For Downtime ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/08/10/all-developer-center-services-back-online-members-receiving-one-month-extension-for-downtime/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** The History of the "Boo-Dah-Ling" Sound ***
<http://jacklinstudios.com/docs/making-of-158-marimba.html>
Kelly Jacklin

> Now a normal person would have just started playing around on the keyboard. But I'm not normal, and decidedly not a keyboardist... So I went all "left brain" on this one (I'm normally used to avoiding that side of the brain when playing guitar or recording), and decided to write a program to generate the various permutations of the notes.

*** Review: Photo Ninja 1.0 Is The Dark Horse In The Raw Converter Sweepstakes ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045069/review-photo-ninja-1-0-is-the-dark-horse-in-the-raw-converter-sweepstakes.html>
William Porter, Macworld

> Photo Ninja, a new Raw-image converter and photo-processing app by PictureCode, makes a very good first impression. Used alone or in conjunction with other popular photo-management and photo-editing tools, it’s a capable program, and serious photographers should take notice.

*** T-Mobile Pulls iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 From Its “No Money Down” Promotion ***
<http://allthingsd.com/20130809/t-mobile-pulls-iphone-4s-iphone-5-from-its-no-money-down-promotion/>
Ina Fried, All Things D

*** The 2013 MacBook Air Review (11-Inch) ***
<http://www.anandtech.com/show/7180/apple-macbook-air-11-2013-review>
Vivek Gowri, AnandTech

> The battery life is awesome, it really changes the way you approach the system, and I still love this form factor, but it’s hard to look at this and not compare it to an Ultrabook with a far better display for the same price.

*** How To Turn Your iPhone Or iPad Into A Remote Control Device For Your Mac ***
<http://noodlemac.com/2013/08/how-to-turn-your-iphone-or-ipad-into-a-remote-control-device-for-your-mac/>
Ron McElfresh, Noodlemac

*** Words Is The Wrongly Named But Very Clever All-in-One RSS Reader For Mac ***
<http://bohemianboomer.com/2013/08/words-is-the-wrongly-named-but-very-clever-all-in-one-rss-reader-for-mac/>
Jeffrey Mincey, Bohemian Boomer

> Words does something unique. With each RSS subscription, Words grabs the entire article behind the title and summary, and renders it in Read-it-Later style, then drops it into the inbox so you can, well, read it later.

*** Review: Withings Pulse Shows Heart ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045999/review-withings-pulse-shows-heart.html#tk.rss_all>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> The Pulse is a $100 tracker that measures steps, elevation, distance, calories burned, heart rate, and sleep quality. It’s a small, rounded rectangular, solid-feeling piece of black plastic, with a bright blue LED display. It weighs eight grams.

*** How To Secure And Encrypt Your OS X Mail Messages With GPGMail 2 ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-secure-and-encrypt-your-os-x-mail-messages-gpgmail-2>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> GPGMail 2 employs PGP, is available for Mac (and Windows), and can help you make sure your emails are only read by the intended recipient.

*** Apple’s Evolving View Of “Pro” ***
<http://kensegall.com/2013/08/apples-evolving-view-of-pro/>
Ken Segall's Observatory

> In truth though, Apple is walking to a place that’s entirely new — and asking the pros to walk with them. They’re betting that people who love to create and innovate will appreciate a super-powerful computer designed in the same spirit.

*** Email Phishing Campaign Uses $200 Apple Store Gift Card As lure ***
<http://www.macnn.com/articles/13/08/09/opening.link.downloads.java.based.malware/>
MacNN

> A new email-based phishing campaign is using a fake $200 Apple Store gift card as bait, says security firm Webroot. The message prompts people to click a download link or open an attachment; doing either will actually install Java-based malware, which is then used to steal personal data from a computer. The data could be used for crimes like identity theft.

*** Regular People Have No Idea How To Manage Photos On Their iPhone ***
<http://chambersdaily.com/bradleychambers/2013/8/3/regular-people-have-no-idea-how-to-manage-photos-their-iphone>
Chambers Daily

*** The Saturday Poem: Her Birth ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/aug/10/her-birth-rebecca-goss-poem>
Rebecca Goss, The Guardian

*** How MTV Forced Rock Stars To Be Sexy ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/08/09/how_mtv_forced_rock_stars_to_be_sexy/>
Joseph Lapin, Salon

> Well, music videos are exiled to MTV 2 and YouTube, and what remains of MTV’s reach is its influence on the branding of artists. Contemporary radio programs and streaming technology like Spotify, Pandora and SoundCloud are showing that The Buggles spoke way too soon and music videos — and the musicians who make them — are in the hands of marketing and communication professionals, not VJs.

*** Adam’s Rib, Van Gogh’s Ear, Einstein’s Brain ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/11/books/review/anatomies-by-hugh-aldersey-williams.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Florence Williams, New York Times

> Prudery doesn’t really explain our discomfort, but Aldersey-Williams hints at what might, namely fear. We fear the fragility, illness and suffering that are native to our corporeality. In “Anatomies,” he seeks to study the body full-on, frontally.

*** ‘Evil Men’ By James Dawes ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2013/08/09/e77fc5b2-b266-11e2-baf7-5bc2a9dc6f44_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Christopher Byrd, Washington Post