[MyAppleMenu] Aug 5, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 5 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Tencent's WeChat Updated To Version 5.0 With New Sticker Shop And Other Features ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/08/tencents-wechat-updated-to-version-5-0-with-new-sticker-shop-and-other-features>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Vox 1.0 Makes Beautiful Music ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/05/vox-1-0-makes-beautiful-music/>
Brett Terpstra, TUAW

> The short version of this post: Vox is a music player with a beautiful interface and an elegant feature set. I love it.

*** Spotify Announces 'Browse' Curated Playlist Feature On iOS ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/05/spotify-announces-browse-curated-playlist-feature-on-ios/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

*** Create A Spark And Show Your Flair With The Newly Updated Lango Messaging App ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/08/create-a-spark-and-show-your-flair-with-the-newly-updated-lango-messaging-app>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** OpenOffice 4.0 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/13987?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> The biggest visible change is the new Sidebar user interface, which brings context-sensitive panels that change properties according to the current editing task. Additionally, developers have been given a framework to build extensions to the Sidebar.

*** Five Best Online Backup Services ***
<http://lifehacker.com/five-best-online-backup-services-1006345049?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_facebook&utm_source=lifehacker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow>
Alan Henry, Lifehacker

> If you're backing up your data but you're not saving it offsite, you're putting it at risk. If something happens to your home or electronics, all that data could be lost. That's why there are tons of affordable, easy-to-use online backup services that you can send your data to seamlessly for safe keeping.

*** Five Apps That Could Help Sharpen The Brain ***
<http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-brain-training-apps-20130802,0,4719759.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Ftechnology+%28L.A.+Times+-+Technology+News%29>
Jessica Naziri, Los Angeles Times

*** Mac App Notes: iStat Menus Lets You Keep An Eye On Your Mac ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/2013/08/04/mac-app-notes-istat-menus/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> A glance at my menu bar tells me how fast a download is coming into my Mac, or whether my processors are maxing out.

*** How To Recover The Password Of Your AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express, Or Time Capsule Base Station ***
<http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=32519>
IClarified

*** How To Master iOS Security: 5 Simple Ways To Increase Data Protection And Privacy ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-master-ios-security-5-way-increase-data-protection-privacy>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

> Adding security does require more time and effort than going without, but nowhere nearly as much time and effort as it takes to recover after your stuff is spied, stolen, or otherwise violated.

*** Science Deniers Just Don’t Think: All Hail The Scientific Method ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/08/04/all_hail_the_scientific_method/>
David McRaney, Salon

> The twisting path to becoming less dumb has led to many stops and starts, yet humans persist. Sure, scientists are just people, prone to the same delusions as anyone else, but the enterprise, the process, slowly but surely grinds away human weakness. It is a self-correcting system that is always closer to the truth today than it was yesterday.

*** Meet The President! ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2013/08/12/130812fi_fiction_smith>
Zadie Smith, New Yorker

*** Anatomy Of A Publisher ***