[MyAppleMenu] Aug 3, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 3 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Mac Gems: Free Up Your Mac's RAM With Memory Clean ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2033713/mac-gems-free-up-your-macs-ram-with-memory-clean.html#tk.rss_all>
Chris Barylick, Macworld

*** Narrato App Updated With Support For Multiple Journals Plus Other Improvements ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/08/narrato-app-updated-with-support-for-multiple-journals-plus-other-improvements>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Bubble Chart Pro For Mac OS X Floats To Version 5.0 ***
<http://appledailyreport.com/2013/08/03/bubble-chart-pro-for-mac-os-x-floats-to-version-5-0/>
Dennis Sellers, Apple Daily Report

> Bubble Chart Pro, which lets you create bubble charts, has been revved to version 5.0. New features include custom legends for tracking groups of bubbles, ability to use short text and date values in charts, common U.S. and European number formats, and more.

*** Review: Photoshop Touch Brings Hardcore Image Editing To iOS And Android ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2045362/review-photoshop-touch-brings-hardcore-image-editing-to-ios-and-android.html>
Jackie Dove, TechHive

> Photoshop Touch isn't for everyone. Photoshop users will likely want to have Photoshop Touch as part of their editing toolset, but non-Photoshop users looking for mobile photo editing for social networking will want to go with something easier and more intuitive.

*** Nokia Photo Transfer For Mac Makes Media Transfer A 1-Click Affair ***
<http://www.slashgear.com/nokia-photo-transfer-for-mac-makes-media-transfer-a-1-click-affair-02292629/>
Chris Burns, SlashGear

*** My Muppets Show Review ***
<http://www.148apps.com/reviews/muppets-show-review/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+148apps+%28148Apps+Main%29>
Rob Rich, 148Apps

*** Djay 2 Review ***
<http://www.148apps.com/reviews/djay-2-review/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+148apps+%28148Apps+Main%29>
Ruairi O'Gallchoir, 148Apps

> More experienced and amateur DJs alike will appreciate how fun and simple this app makes creating fun and toe-tapping remixes.

*** DevJuice: New York Times Posts Objective-C Style Guide ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/02/devjuice-new-york-times-posts-objective-c-style-guide/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

> In a piece called Objectively Stylish, the New York Times announced that it has codified Objective-C-style conventions and posted a style guide to GitHub.

*** Rymdkapsel ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/rymdkapsel/>
Cody Fink, MacStories

> It’s Tetris. It’s an RTS strategy. It’s a tower defense game. It’s a race against the clock. It’s endless. It’s all of these things.

*** Apple's Store App Now Offering App Freebies ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045822/apples-store-app-now-offering-app-freebies.html#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> If you like free stuff—and who doesn’t?!—you may want to take another look at the Apple Store app for iPhone, through which the Cupertino company will treat you to a nice gift.

The Apple Store app is not available, I think, in countries that do not have physical Apple Stores.

*** Apple Not Happy About DoJ E-Book Solutions, Gives Snappy 31-Page Response ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/08/02/apple-not-happy-about-doj-e-book-solutions-gives-snappy-31-page-response/>
Kaylie Moise, Macgasm

> "Plaintiffs propose a sweeping and unprecedented injunction as a tool to empower the government to regulate Apple’s businesses and potentially affect Apple’s business relationships with thousands of partners across several markets."

*** Apple OKs Pre-teen iTunes Accounts Upon School Request ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045868/apple-oks-preteen-itunes-accounts-upon-school-request.html#tk.rss_all>
Martyn Williams, IDG News Service

> Apple had updated its terms and conditions to reflect an upcoming program that will allow schools to create accounts for young children once they’ve obtained “verifiable parental consent.”

> The change is being matched by new mobile device management (MDM) options that will give teachers greater capabilities to control pupils’ iPads.

Parents still will not be able to create iTunes accounts (legally) for their children.

*** Museum Hours ***
<http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2013/08/02/museum-hours/>
Drew Bratcher, The Paris Review

> The city is our best shot at escaping the city. Within the big, frantic city, we find places to breathe. Twice in the last month, dozens of times in the past year, I have taken refuge in the National Gallery of Art. Washington has beer joints. Washington has baseball. But when money is tight and the stress intolerable, there are few luxuries like strolling along a wall of Modiglianis for free.

*** Signs Of Protest: ‘The Dark Road’ And ‘For A Song And A Hundred Songs’ ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/04/books/review/the-dark-road-and-for-a-song-and-a-hundred-songs.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Emily Parker, New York Times

> In exploring the darker aspects of Chinese life, Ma Jian and Liao Yiwu speak mostly to the outside world. The work of both writers has been banned in China, and neither lives in his native land. Ma Jian is a longtime resident of London. Liao crossed the border into Vietnam in 2011 and fled to Berlin, where he remains today.

*** . . . One Book Out ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/04/books/review/one-book-out.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Amy Wilentz, New York Times

> I’ve decided that books are my enemy, though they used to be my great love. They are taking over. They crowd my dining room, they double up in the bedroom, they make the attic floor sag. We even have a library in the bathroom: shelves and shelves of books where a normal person might have a vanity table or piles of towels.

*** The Saturday Poem: Communion ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/aug/02/saturday-poem-communion-claire-trevien>
Claire Trévien, The Guardian