[MyAppleMenu] Aug 2, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 2 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Justice Department Wants Apple To Terminate Existing Book Deals And Compete On Price ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/2/4582068/doj-wants-apple-to-terminate-ebook-deals-compete-on-price>
Chris Welch, The Verge

> The proposal was submitted by the Justice Department along with 33 state attorneys general today, and calls for Apple to terminate its deals with the five publishers involved in the original suit. Further, for a period of five years, Apple would essentially be barred from signing fixed pricing agreements with ebook distributors.

> But it doesn't end there: the Department of Justice wants Apple to let competing ebook retailers link directly to their online stores within their respective iOS applications.

*** Burpple 2.0 Brings New Design And New Features To Popular Social Food Guide App ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/08/burpple-2-0-brings-new-design-and-new-features-to-popular-social-food-guide-app>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> Burpple’s new, Foursquare-like place pages let you discover restaurants and cafes to try.

*** Mac App Notes: CoverSutra, The Ultimate iTunes Controller ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/2013/08/02/mac-app-notes-coversutra/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> While I spend a lot of time in my iTunes library, CoverSutra saves me plenty of time by giving me quick access to basic controls and simple searches.

*** Motion Composer 1.6.1 – Part 1 (Introduction) ***
<http://scottsiegling.com/blog/2013/motion-composer-161-part-1>
Scott Siegling

*** Todoist For iPad ***
<http://www.pcworld.co.nz/review/doist/todoist_for_ipad/522556>
PC World

> Todoist provides an outwardly simple to-do list service, with myriad advanced features available to its more organised (or obsessive) users.

*** Tackle Stubborn Disk Partitioning In OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57596602-263/tackle-stubborn-disk-partitioning-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> If partitioning a drive with Disk Utility gives you unmount or resource busy errors, there may be workarounds you can use.

*** It’s Baaack! A Classic Mac Utility For Mac OS X. And It’s Free ***
<http://bohemianboomer.com/2013/08/its-baaack-a-classic-mac-utility-for-mac-os-x-and-its-free/>
Jeffrey Mincey, Bohemian Boomer

> FinderPop both replicates and expands upon the time honored Apple Menu Items folder. To refresh your memory or bring you up to speed on one of the classic Mac’s best features, it was a folder where aliases could be dropped into to give you one click navigation to any file or folder on the Mac.

*** How To: Access Stunning Hi-res OS X Screensaver Images To Use As Wallpaper ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/08/01/how-to-access-stunning-hi-res-os-x-screensaver-images-to-use-as-wallpaper/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Pebble Adds Gmail Notification Support To iOS App, But It's Nowhere Near Instant ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/1/4580010/pebble-adds-gmail-support-to-ios-app-but-its-not-instant>
Chris Welch, The Verge

*** The Moving Timeline Keynote Trick ***
<http://macsparky.com/blog/2013/8/the-moving-timeline-keynote-trick>
David Sparks, MacSparky

> In order to create a timeline that moves, you simply need to make a timeline bigger than a single slide and then stack them next to each other. Then you can use the Push transition to make it appear as if the timeline itself is moving when all you are really doing is transitioning from one slide to the next.

*** Mac Gems: Clear Day Beautifully Portrays Weather Information ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045072/mac-gems-clear-day-beautifully-portrays-weather-information.html#tk.rss_all>
Jeff Sandstoe, Macworld

> The menu bar icon provides the basic weather information that most people would need: temperature, humidity, wind speeds, and the chance of rain. However, if you’re a weather aficionado and want as much possible meteorological information as possible, then you’ll want to actually open the app.

*** Apple Reminding Former MobileMe Subscribers That Complimentary Storage Upgrade Ends September 30 ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/08/01/apple-reminding-former-mobileme-subscribers-that-complimentary-storage-upgrade-ends-september-30/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Scott Buscemi, 9 To 5 Mac

> Former subscribers of MobileMe, the $99/year iCloud predecessor, received 20 GB complimentary storage upgrades when making the switch to iCloud. Apple additionally extended this upgrade until September 30, 2013. Now, Apple is reminding those users, via email, that the complimentary storage will come to an end shortly.

*** Photowerks Enhances Apple’s Photos App With Smart Albums ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/photowerks-enhances-apples-photos-app-with-smart-albums/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Photowerks, free on the App Store, enhances Apple’s default solution with sorting options and smart albums available today to iOS 6 users.

*** Quip Lets You Collaborate On Documents In Real Time On iPhone, iPad, And The Web ***
<http://www.imore.com/quip-lets-you-collaborate-documents-real-time-iphone-ipad-and-web>
Joseph Keller, iMore

*** Apple Recently Acquired Low-Energy Chipmaker Passif ***
<http://jessicalessin.com/2013/08/01/exclusive-apple-recently-acquired-low-energy-chipmaker-passif/>
Jessica Lessin

> Passif develops communication chips that use very little power. Its technology, which includes a radio that works with a low-energy version of Bluetooth called Bluetooth LE, is promising for health-monitoring and fitness devices that need extra-long battery life.

*** Downcast For Mac | Review ***
<http://techese.net/articles/2013/8/-downcast-for-mac-review>
Chris De Jabet, Techēse

*** Monsters, Marvels, And The Birth Of Science ***
<http://nautil.us/issue/4/the-unlikely/monsters-marvels-and-the-birth-of-science>
Steve Paulson, Nautilus

> How the unlikely and unexplainable, strange and terrifying, spawned the age of science.

*** Shanghai For Strivers ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/02/books/tash-aws-five-star-billionaire-captures-chinas-changes.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Dwight Garner, New York Times