[MyAppleMenu] Aug 1, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Aug 1 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Best New Apps: 'Rymdkapsel' ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/1/4578382/best-new-apps-rymdkapsel>
Andrew Webster, The Verge

> <i>Rymdkapsel</i> looks simple and plays slow, but it’s one of the best strategy games I’ve played in a long time. The game is all about expansion. Your team of tiny white squares starts out on a small platform floating in space, and the goal is to expand that platform as far as possible. You’ll need to produce resources like food and minerals, add new members to your crew, examine mysterious artifacts to gain new abilities, and build defenses to protect against regularly scheduled alien attacks. There’s also a puzzle element — new additions to your budding space colony come in the shape of Tetris pieces, so it’s a challenge to come up with the ideal set-up for all of the different rooms. But most of the strategy comes from your ability to balance exploration with defense, while keeping an ever-vigilant eye on your resources.

*** SlideShark Is An Easy Way To Broadcast PowerPoints Over The Web ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/01/slideshark-is-an-easy-way-to-broadcast-powerpoints-over-the-web/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> You can upload a PowerPoint file from your iOS device, or any computer through a web portal. Then you email links to others and they can view your presentation on any device with a web browser.

*** Review: Adobe Dreamweaver CC Makes CSS More Visual, Less Coder-friendly ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045081/review-adobe-dreamweaver-cc-makes-css-more-visual-less-coder-friendly.html#tk.rss_all>
Alan Stafford, Macworld

*** Rovio’s Bad Piggies Goes Free For iPhone And iPad As Apple’s App Of The Week ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/07/31/rovios-bad-piggies-goes-free-for-iphone-and-ipad-as-apples-app-of-the-week/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Seth Weintraub, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Use LaunchBar To Launch AppleScripts For iTunes ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/2013/08/01/use-launchbar-to-launch-applescripts-for-itunes/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> Launching scripts in this manner merely saves you from accessing the scripts menu in iTunes, but if you like to keep your hands on the keyboard, it will save you a few clicks. If you run certain scripts often, it is a good way to get to them quickly.

*** Editing And Annotating PDF Files With Preview ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045686/editing-and-annotating-pdf-files-with-preview.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> And while it’s no substitute for Adobe Acrobat Pro as a PDF document creator and editor, it has some useful talents of its own. We’ll explore those talents now.

*** Apple Does Offer Upgrade Pricing In The App Store. It's Full Retail Pricing They've Obliterated. ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-does-offer-upgrade-pricing-app-store-always-its-full-retail-pricing-theyve-obliterated>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

> So, it's not that Apple has failed to create a mechanism for upgrade pricing on the App Store at all - it's that they've succeeded in obliterating full retail pricing. Everything is now upgrade-level pricing, all the time, for everyone. No upgrade sales, just "everyday low prices" for all.

*** Five Free Microsoft Project Alternatives ***
<http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-free-microsoft-project-alternatives/>
Susan Harkins, TechRepublic

> If you're supporting a small organization with an even smaller budget, consider one of these free software management solutions.

*** Tackle Finder Launching Errors In OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57596310-263/tackle-finder-launching-errors-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> If the Finder in your user account refuses to open, there are a couple of steps you can take to clear settings files and have it open normally.

*** Testing Google’s Chromecast For Apple Users ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/13970>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> The lack of optical audio kills it for me, as well as the current lack of apps and crippling lag. However, if you own Android devices or are curious about digital content on your TV, the Chromecast is an inexpensive way to dive in — once Google has more in stock.

*** Prizmo (For Mac) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422537,00.asp?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ziffdavis%2Fpcmag+%28PCMag.com%3A+New+Product+Reviews%29>
Edward Mendelson, PC Magazine

> What makes Prizmo for OS X different is that it's designed from the start to work with cameras as well as scanners. If you connect an iPhone or iPad to your Mac by a USB cable, you can snap a picture and Prizmo will instantly capture it and try to extract text from it. If you connect any other camera to your Mac, it lets you browse through the photos in the camera's internal storage and select one or more pictures that you want to process with OCR.

*** Camera+ For iPhone And iPad Goes Hollywood With New Effects Pack ***
<http://www.imore.com/camera-iphone-and-ipad-update-get-new-effects-pack>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> Camera+ for both iPhone and iPad have been updated, adding new, Hollywood-themed effects pack, as well as adding effects layering to the iPhone app.

*** Mac Gems: Pixa Is An Image Organizer Made For Creative Work ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045067/mac-gems-pixa-is-an-image-organizer-made-for-creative-work.html#tk.rss_all>
David Chartier, Macworld

> Pixa’s real magic comes from its excellent collection, organization, and export tools.

*** Best Password Manager Apps For iPhone And iPad: 1Password, mSecure, LastPass, And More! ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-password-manager-apps-ios-1password-msecure-lastpass-and-more>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Boggle Is Better Than Scrabble ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/life/gaming/2013/08/boggle_vs_scrabble_or_why_there_should_be_a_boggle_national_championship.html>