[MyAppleMenu] Sep 14, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 14 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Am I An Outlier, Or Are Apple Products No Longer Easy To Use? ****
<http://battellemedia.com/archives/2012/09/am-i-an-outlier-or-are-apple-products-no-longer-easy-to-use.php>
John Battelle's Search Blog

> And while it used to be that Apple was the brand which uncomplicated computing, for me, anyway, that’s simply no longer true. Does anyone out there have similar experiences, or am I really an outlier?

**** Apple Says Lightning To HDMI And Lightning To VGA Adapters Are On The Way ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/13/3329062/apple-lightning-hdmi-vga-cable-adapter-coming-months>
Sean Hollister, The Verge

**** Thoughts And Observations Regarding Yesterday’s iPhone 5 And Music Event ****
<http://daringfireball.net/2012/09/iphone_5_event>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

**** iPhone 5’S Screen Poses App Update Challenges ****
<http://www.marco.org/2012/09/13/panzarino-iphone5-developers>
Marco Arment

> Unless app review is somehow multiplying their throughput by an order of magnitude or two this week, I suspect there’s going to be a very big backlog for at least few weeks, and very angry iPhone 5 customers leaving 1-star reviews on our letterboxed apps in the meantime.

**** iPhone 5 Won't Support Simultaneous Voice And Data On Verizon Or Sprint ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/13/3328492/iphone-5-simultaneous-voice-data-verizon-sprint?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Dan Seifert, The Verge

**** New iCloud.com Notes And Reminders Web Apps Now Live ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/13/new-icloud-com-notes-and-reminders-web-apps-now-live/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

> Apple has just activated new web apps on iCloud.com that have been, until now, only available to developers. The new feature adds the Notes and Reminders web apps along with improvements to the Mail and Find My iPhone web apps.

**** Which iPhone 5 Lets You Roam Where You Want? ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13258?rss>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

> So how do you figure out which model and activation to buy? The calculus has everything to do with how much you travel and where, and whether you care that you’re achieving LTE speeds when you travel.

This is getting complicated. Thank goodness I'm stuck here in Singapore… er… wait.

**** Solving The App Store’s NSURLErrorDomain Error ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13259?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> I truly don’t understand at the moment how switching DNS servers could solve this problem, but for anyone troubled by the error, Google’s DNS servers are worth a try.

**** Apple EarPods ****
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409671,00.asp>
Jamie Lendino, PC Magazine

> Despite Apple's claims, the EarPods still don't fit everyone. But for doing what the Apple earbuds should have done all along—providing good sound quality and comfort on a budget—the EarPods are an easy recommendation.

**** For App Developers, iPhone 5'S Bigger Screen Is A Mixed Blessing ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/13/3327352/iphone-5-app-developers-letterboxing-mixed-blessing>
Ellis Hamburger, The Verge

> Some people aren't even convinced that the large screen is even practical for one-handed use to begin with, despite Apple's claims. "New designs have emerged which focus less on buttons at the top of your screen... You can swipe horizontally to access the side navigation in the new Facebook app," Barnard says. "I think we might start seeing some interesting changes in how apps are laid out."

**** Hands-on Lightning Review Of Apple's New EarPods ****
<http://www.imore.com/apple-earpods-lighting-review>
Phil Nickinson, IMore

> The EarPods are hard plastic, so you won't be getting any real noise-cancellation here. That's not surprising, but it's still worth noting. But that doesn't mean they're uncomfortable. Far from it, actually. They've got a much more natural fit. No longer do you feel like you're trying to wedge a plastic disc into your ear with the least amount of discomfort. Not to over-use the terms "comfortable" and "natural," but that's what they are.

**** What Apple's New Lightning Connector Means For You ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168555/what_apples_new_lightning_connector_means_for_you.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

> What’s perhaps most interesting about the change to the new Lightning connector is that it reflects changes in the ways we’re using our iPhones and iPods.

The breaking out of functionalities from the iPod / Music app, such as podcasts and videos, had also prompted many customers, me included, to look for alternatives to iTunes syncing of media.

**** Should You Upgrade To The iPhone 5? ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168566/should_you_upgrade_to_the_iphone_5_.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> As with so much in life, the answer is a definite maybe.

Depends on which iPhone you currently own, and the cost of upgrading.

**** Google Glass And The Future Of Technology ****
<http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/google-glass-and-the-future-of-technology/>
David Pogue, New York Times

**** Intel Ports Android Jelly Bean To X86 Phones, But No Rollout Date Set ****
<http://www.zdnet.com/intel-ports-android-jelly-bean-to-x86-phones-but-no-rollout-date-set-7000004200/>
David Meyer, ZDNet

**** Economists Lower Singapore 2012, 2013 Outlook ****
<http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/9/13/business/12016064&sec=business>
Reuters

> Singapore's trade-dependent economy is likely to expand at a slower pace this year while inflation will probably be higher than what economists were expecting three months ago, according to a central bank survey released yesterday.

**** Why I Am Going To Singapore ****
<http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2012/sep/14/lewis-why-i-am-going-to-singapore/>
Pericles Lewis, Yale Daily News

> When value systems do come into conflict, the best hope for the future leadership of a rapidly changing world lies not in isolation or withdrawal from that conflict but in the continued exchange of ideas and knowledge, which is the essence of a liberal education. And it is to further the goals of liberal education that I am going to Singapore.

**** Singapore Seeks A Breakthrough To Call Its Own ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/news/428990/singapore-seeks-a-breakthrough-to-call-its-own/>
Dawn Lim, Technology Review

> The Asian nation has spent billions on R&D and lured technology superstars. So why does it lag in innovation?

**** What Is The Point? ****
<http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.sg/2012/09/what-is-point.html>
Singapore Life And Times

**** Former DPP Glenn Knight Made Errors In Book: AGC ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120914-0000151/Former-DPP-Glenn-Knight-made-errors-in-book--AGC>
Today

> "Although Chief Justice Yong disagreed with the view of the law taken in Mr Tan Koon Swan's case, his decision did not and could not overrule the decision in Mr Tan Koon Swan's case, as both decisions were made by the High Court. Differences in the Courts' pronouncements on the law occur, especially in legal systems based on the Common Law," said the AGC.

**** At Asean, Singapore Choosing To Be Anti-human Rights ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/09/14/at-asean-singapore-choosing-to-be-anti-human-rights/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

> Something is very wrong with the way we formulate our foreign policy positions. Our government comes across as crazed defenders of archaic views abroad without even seeming to know that domestically, Singaporeans themselves have evolving attitudes. How are Singaporeans best served by this kind of governmental incompetence?

**** Freedom Of Expression No Unfettered Rights To Insult Another's Religion Or Race: DPM Teo ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1226003/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Commenting on the film "Innocence of Muslims", Mr Teo said in a statement that it is also wrong and counterproductive to respond to this inflammatory and offensive film with violence.

**** Singapore Job Openings Slip 8.9% ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/hr-education/news/singapore-job-openings-slip-89>
Singapore Business Review

> There are 91 job vacancies for every 100 applicants.

**** Will Social Media Make The Silent Majority Speak Out? ****
<http://asia.cnet.com/will-social-media-make-the-silent-majority-speak-out-62218629.htm>
Nicholas Aaron Khoo, CNET Asia

**** The Problem Of Ageing Population In Singapore And Hong Kong Is More Serious Than We Thought ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/risk-posed-ageing-population-savings-worse-in-hongkong>
Singapore Business Review

> According to Morgan Stanley, following the credit crisis, saving has declined in Hong Kong and Singapore.

> Morgan Stanley notes that apart from weaker export income, both these economies are also approaching a turning point in their demographics where the age dependency ratio (non-working to working age population) is deteriorating.

**** Unemployment & Layoffs In S'pore Down In 2Nd Quarter ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1225954/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Unemployment in Singapore has declined, reversing the slight increase a quarter ago.

**** A Convenient Scapegoat ****
<http://ph.news.yahoo.com/blogs/the-inbox/convenient-scapegoat-010557358.html>
EllEN Tordesillas, Yahoo!

> We understand that it would have serious diplomatic repercussions if the Singapore MFA insulted Del Rosario but must they insult Philippine media?

**** Phone Size Matters For Singapore's Army--not Too Big Please ****
<http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/phone-size-matters-for-singapores-army-not-too-big-please-62218699.htm>
Michael Tan, CNET Asia

> According to Techielobang, SAF mentioned that phones above 4.3 inches may be mini-computers. It also specifically mentioned that tablets are not yet allowed--hence the 4.3-inch rule.

This sounds like a stupid rule.

**** Time For Opposition To Rethink Assumptions, Lest It Repents After Next GE ****
<http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/09/14/time-for-opposition-to-rethink-assumptions-lest-it-repents-after-next-ge/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** iPhone 5'S 4G May Be Of Limited Use In Singapore ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/iphone-5s-4g-may-be-limited-use-singapore-20120914>
Sherwin Loh, Straits Times

> SingTel and M1 use the 1,800MHz and 2,600MHz frequency bands for the new wireless service but the iPhone 5 will work only on 1,800MHz.

> StarHub's upcoming 4G service is on 1,800MHz but its network covers only the Central Business District, Changi Airport and Singapore Expo.

Maybe, if you can wait, wait for iPhone 5S.

**** The Never Ending Story Of Low Productivity? ****
<http://leongszehian.com/?p=1848>
Leong Sze Hian