[MyAppleMenu] Sep 13, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 13 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Vagina By Naomi Wolf Covered Up By Apple iTunes ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/sep/13/naomi-wolf-vagina-apple-itunes-censors?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Alison Flood, The Guardian

> The title of Naomi Wolf's new book, which explores why the vagina is still thought of as "slightly shameful" even today, has been censored by Apple.

**** Interview: Phil Schiller On Why The iPhone 5 Has A New Connector But Not NFC Or Wireless Charging ****
<http://allthingsd.com/20120912/interview-phil-schiller-on-why-the-iphone-5-has-a-new-connector-but-not-nfc-or-wireless-charging/>
Ina Fried, All Things D

> Schiller said it simply wasn’t possible to build products as thin as the new iPhones and iPods without changing the cord. Hence, the new “Lightning” connector.

**** Apple To Developers: Submit Your iOS 6 Apps Today ****
<http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-to-developers-submit-your-ios-6-apps-today/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Lukas Hermann, MacStories

**** Apple's Ping To Cease Operation Sep. 30 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168554/apples_ping_to_cease_operation_sep_30.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

**** No, Virginia, You Can't Have A Universal LTE iPhone 5 ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/12/no-virginia-you-cant-have-a-universal-lte-iphone-5/>
Michael Rose, TUAW

> There's likely to be some confusion around the iPhone 5 model numbering, since there are three actual hardware configurations but only two model numbers: A1428 and A1429.

Different phones for different countries and network. But, unlike the iPad, the iPhone 5 will support LTE in countries such as Singapore, Hong Kong, Germany, and the UK.

**** Apple Introduces The iPhone 5 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168510/apple_introduces_the_iphone_5.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> The iPhone 5 keeps the Retina display moniker, but it’s taller than the screens on iPhones that preceded it.

> Schiller said that with LTE, the iPhone 5 can achieve a “theoretical maximum downlink of up to 100Mbps.”

Also:
• <a href="http://www.macworld.com/article/1168518/iphone_5_camera_is_faster_with_better_resolution_better_low_light_performance.html#lsrc.rss_main">iPhone 5 camera shoots panoramas and promises better low-light performance</a> (Jackie Dove, Macworld)
• <a href="http://www.macworld.com/article/1168519/new_apple_earpods_aim_to_improve_on_headphones_of_old.html#lsrc.rss_main">New Apple EarPods aim to improve on headphones of old</a> (Lex Friedman, Macworld)
• <a href="http://www.imore.com/iphone-5-battery-life-meets-and-sometimes-exceeds-iphone-4s">iPhone 5 battery life meets (and sometimes exceeds) iPhone 4S</a> (Simon Sage, iMore)

**** Apple Announces Major iTunes Update ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168515/apple_announces_major_itunes_update.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

> On Wednesday, Apple announced a major update to its iTunes multimedia jukebox and syncing software, with a simplified user interface, the ability to play media from iCloud, a new MiniPlayer, a redesigned iTunes Store, and more.

> The new version, to which Apple didn’t assign a version number, will be available in late October.

**** Apple Shows Off iPod Touch, Nano Updates ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168525/apple_shows_off_ipod_touch_nano_updates.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Miller, Macworld

> For the first time, the touch’s case comes in colors (silver black, blue, yellow, and red). There’s a new iPod touch loop: Push it and it pops up, and you can then attach a wrist strap. The new touch’s screen is not only bigger—4 inches diagonally vs. 3.5 before—but it’s also a sharper Retina display; it is, in fact, the same screen as on the iPhone 5.

**** iOS 6 Arrives On Sep. 19 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168512/ios_6_arrives_on_sep_19.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

> The update will be free and available for the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S; the fourth-generation iPod touch; and the the second- and third-generation iPads.

**** Mozilla Juices Firefox's JavaScript With IonMonkey ****
<http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57511013-93/mozilla-juices-firefoxs-javascript-with-ionmonkey/>
Stephen Shankland, CNET

**** The Heart Broke In By James Meek: Review ****
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/fictionreviews/9509225/The-Heart-Broke-In-by-James-Meek-review.html>
Lucy Beresford, Telegraph

> James Meek's The Heart Broke In is blackly comic study of human weakness and narcissism.

**** Against Apple Picking ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2009/10/against_apple_picking.html>
Daniel Gross, Slate

> Why pick-your-own orchards are a wasteful scam.

**** Singapore Conversations – Asking The Wrong Questions, Looking The Wrong Places? ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/09/singapore-conversations-asking-the-wrong-questions-looking-the-wrong-places/>
Dan Lim, The Online Citizen

**** Queenstown Visit Was An Exhibition ****
<http://www.singapolitics.sg/news/queenstown-visit-was-exhibition>
Tessa Wong, Straits Times

> “The demonstrations were to showcase the different types of activities themselves. It was not to suggest that these activities take place at 3pm everyday... It was meant to give a snapshot, and in that sense it was no different from a demonstration of activities,” she said.

> Ms Indranee said that as she toured the area with Prince William, he had asked her if Singaporeans actually practice taichi and silat in the afternoon.

**** New Buses Added From Monday As Govt Rolls Out S$1.1b Programme ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1225759/1/.html>
Dylan Loh, Channel NewsAsia

> By year-end, more than 25 new buses will be added to about as many routes, along with the introduction of five new services which will get 37 new buses.

**** Employment Pass Approval Dropped? ****
<http://leongszehian.com/?p=1840>
Leong Sze Hian

> Why is it that we often seem not to be told the whole story on foreign employment, with piecemeal statistics that are often given in drips and pieces, that arguably invites citizens to ask even more questions?

Too many secrets.

**** Let's Be Authentic ****
<http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/lets-be-authentic/>
Andrew Loh

> Such fake display of enthusiasm or community activities is, truth be told, an affront to us Singaporeans. We do not want our country to be presented in such a fake manner.

**** Splurging On National Day Parades ****
<http://unbrandedbreadnbutter.com/2012/09/13/splurging-on-national-day-parades/>
Unbranded Bread N Butter

> Spending more money on national day parades especially during recessions are even more important. When the private sector holds back in such dark times, contracting the fragile economy even more, it is up to public sector spending to pump back confidence into the economy.

> The real probes into national day parades and spending is whether the deals were transparent and without corruption.

**** Singapore Getting iPhone 5 On 21 September 2012 ****
<http://blog.dk.sg/2012/09/13/singapore-getting-iphone-5-on-21-september-2012/>
DKSG

> And yes, the LTE is compatible with the LTE standard that we are using in Singapore.

**** Work-life Balance: A Reality Check ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120913-0000046/Work-life-balance--A-reality-check>
Shafie Halim, Today

**** Don't Have Housing Restrictions Just For Singles ****