[MyAppleMenu] Sep 12, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 12 18:59:01 EDT 2012

**** Apple Said To Lose Cheyer, Co-Creator Of Siri Voice Unit ****
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-11/apple-said-to-lose-cheyer-co-creator-of-siri-voice-unit.html>
Jonathan Erlichman And Adam Satariano, Bloomberg

> The departure is at least the second among Siri’s founding team since Apple bought the company in April 2010 and follows the exit of Chief Executive Officer Dag Kittlaus last year.

**** What Skeuomorphism Is (And Isn’t) ****
<http://sachagreif.com/what-skeuomorphism-is-and-isnt/>
SachaGreif.com

> I’m not saying Apple is without fault. Just that their design choices are not without reasons, and it’s pointless to criticize one without talking about the other.

**** It's Not About HTML5 Or Skeuomorphism, It's About Usability ****
<http://www.imore.com/its-not-about-html-or-skeumorphism-its-about-usability>
Rene Ritchie, IMore

> The question isn't whether skeuomorphism is good or bad, but is Apple currently using it effectively in iOS and OS X? In some cases, I think so. In others, I think they've missed the mark. But design is a process not a end point. It's looping iterations.

**** 360iDev: The Case For 'Fair Pricing' On iOS Apps ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/12/360idev-the-case-for-fair-pricing-on-ios-apps/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

**** Diet Coda 1.1 ****
<http://www.macstories.net/links/diet-coda-1-1/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
MacStories

> By tapping on a + button in the upper right corner of the UI, you can choose to upload photos or videos from your Camera Roll.

**** Millions Of Households Opt For Netflix, Apple TV Instead Of Cable, Nielsen Says ****
<http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_21517928/millions-households-opt-netflix-apple-tv-instead-cable>
David Bauder, Associated Press

**** Apple: Sorry, Those BitTorrent Apps Were Approved By Mistake ****
<http://torrentfreak.com/apple-sorry-bittorrent-apps-were-approved-by-mistake-120911/>
TorrentFreak

> Apple just informed one of the developers that it made a mistake during the approval process, and the company is about to pull his BitTorrent app from the App Store.

It's Apple's platform, and it can do what it likes, but at what point do we get to say, sorry, Apple, but you really got to live with the mistake you've made?

**** Apple Passbook May Let You Kiss Wallet Goodbye ****
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-09-11/apple-passbook-app/57749550/1>
Jefferson Graham, USA Today

> Cyriac Roeding has been working feverishly since then to adapt his Shopkick shopping rewards app for Passbook. He has good company in movie ticket service Fandango, United Airlines, Target and Starbucks, all of which are touted on Apple's website as Passbook participants.

**** Apple’s Hacker Fix: Nuke Your iTunes Account, Refuse To Let You Back In ****
<http://gizmodo.com/5942187/apples-hacker-fix-nuke-your-itunes-account-refuse-to-let-you-back-in>
Kyle Wagner, Gizmodo

> Here's the full rundown on what's broken right now: There is no way for Apple support to reset your password or your security questions if you have forgotten them, and it also can't re-activate an account that has been disabled for any reason. Apple's automated system for password reset—enter your Apple ID email account, or answer a security question—is still in effect. But the only thing Apple's security team is authorized to do for disabled accounts right now is take down their information, add them to a list, and get back to them whenever this is resolved.

**** The Reality Check Of Google’s New YouTube App ****
<http://www.macstories.net/stories/the-reality-check-of-googles-new-youtube-app/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> While not excellent in terms of performances, the key to this first release of YouTube for iOS is access.

**** Kids Learn Human Anatomy In How My Body Works ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/11/kids-learn-human-anatomy-in-how-my-body-works/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

**** Going In Depth On Mountain Lion’s Notifications ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13241?rss>
Kirk McElhearn, TidBITS

> Here are some tips to streamline your use of Notifications, along with ways to avoid notification overload.

**** Hands On With Google's YouTube iPhone App ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168488/hands_on_with_googles_youtube_iphone_app.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Dan Moren, Macworld

**** Will Apple’s Tacky Software-Design Philosophy Cause A Revolt? ****
<http://www.fastcodesign.com/1670760/will-apples-tacky-software-design-philosophy-cause-a-revolt>
Austin Carr, Fast Company

> The criticism and controversy, much of it revolving around a trend called skeuomorphism, reveal chinks in Apple’s armor rarely visible to those outside One Infinite Loop.

> Inside Apple, tension has brewed for years over the issue. Apple iOS SVP Scott Forstall is said to push for skeuomorphic design, while industrial designer Jony Ive and other Apple higher-ups are said to oppose the direction. "You could tell who did the product based on how much glitz was in the UI," says one source intimately familiar with Apple’s design process.

Sometimes, I do wish Apple still print out books such as "Inside Macintosh: Human Interface Guidelines", and have every developer and designer line up these books on their shelves.

**** Reaching For The Big Advance ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/news/428984/reaching-for-the-big-advance/?ref=rss>
Nathan Myhrvold, Technology Review

> Why software's wealthiest should fund experimental technologies.

**** New Breed Of Robotics Aims To Help People Walk Again ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/12/technology/wearable-robots-that-can-help-people-walk-again.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Brian X. Chen, New York Times

> Ekso is one of several companies and research labs that are working on wearable robots made to help disabled people or to make the human body superhuman. In 2010, Raytheon released a suit for soldiers that is designed to reduce injuries from heavy lifting. And in Israel, a company called Argo Medical Technologies also makes a robotic suit to help paraplegics walk again.

**** When Life Gives You Lemons, Put Them In Everything ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2012/09/what_s_the_best_way_to_use_lemons_in_everything_.html>
Lee Havlicek, Slate

> Sometimes when I’m asked what the secret is to a dish I’ve made, the answer is a specific little trick I’ve picked up from my mother or a cookbook. But more often than not, the big secret is not a secret at all. It’s lemon.

**** Expect More Million Dollar Resale Flats In Resale Market ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1225606/1/.html>
Olivia Siong, Channel NewsAsia

> Mr Ismail said: "The median COV islandwide is only S$30,000 so people are relatively cautious in their approach and you're not paying such high COVs islandwide."

**** "Our Singapore" Discussions Off To A Good Start: PM Lee ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1225546/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** MOE To Take Firm Stand Against Unreasonable Demands On Teachers ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1225642/1/.html>
Monica Kotwani, Channel NewsAsia

> "As one writer puts it in one of our media commentaries, by raising such a hullabaloo, 'the mother did herself and her son no favours'. Now, if parents do not show graciousness to others and respect for rules, our young will not do so either. Soon, discipline will be eroded. The tone in our schools will deteriorate, and the tone in our society too."

**** Every School Is A Good School ****
<http://blogging4myself.blogspot.sg/2012/09/every-school-is-good-school.html>
Blogging For Myself

> Until schools game or abuse the system, then it would be time to make major changes once more.

**** Here's All You Need To Know About 4G Pricing In Singapore ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/telecom-internet/news/heres-all-you-need-know-about-4g-pricing-in-singapore>
Singapore Business Review

> "4G pricing to correct 3G’s too generous data pricing in Singapore."

**** So. Much. Wayang. ****
<http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2012/09/so-much-wayang.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mrbrown+%28mrbrown%29>
mrbrown.com

**** 工人难请人手吃紧 新加坡华人饭店经理当收碗工 ****
<http://roll.sohu.com/20120912/n352952079.shtml>
人民网

> 据新加坡《联合早报》报道,每到午餐时间,来福士城的福将食阁(Food Junction)就会出现一个外形特别的食阁收碗工人,他身穿长袖衬衫,还系上领带,不停地在帮忙收碗抹桌子,不让食客费时等候。这名穿着更像一般上班族的收碗工人,其实是食阁经理许德成(39岁),他和其他三名职员都会在食阁繁忙时段动手帮忙。

> 新加坡官委议员张松声11日在国会发言时,以来福士城食阁管理人员必须动手收碗为例,说明本地劳工短缺的现象,同时也反映本地企业转型的迫切性。

**** Government Has Miscalculated Immigration Policy And Singaporeans’ Reaction To It ****
<http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/government-has-miscalculated-immigration-policy-and-singaporeans-reaction-to-it/>
The Temasek Times

**** Was It Worth It? Is It Worth It? ****
<http://politicalwritings.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/was-it-worth-it/>
Political Writings

> Was it worth it for Chee, to spend 20 years in the wilderness because he refused to play by the rules?

> Is it worth it for the PAP, to let Chee back into the ring?

> We shall soon find out.

**** State Media Pre-set Agenda For ‘National Conversation’ ****
<http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/state-media-pre-set-agenda-for-national-conversation/>
The Temasek Times

> It was supposed to be a two-way ‘National Conversation’ to listen to the concerns and aspirations of Singaporeans, but it appears that it is becoming a monologue for the government to impose its world view on the public yet again.

**** Fundamental Rights Must Take Precedence Before National Conversation ****
<http://daunkesom.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/fundamental-rights-must-take-precedence-before-national-conversation/>
My Blog

> While commentaries on the difficulties of everyday life and national policies are important they underscore a relative powerlessness on the part of the popular interest groups to exert pressure on the government.

**** The Rigged Game ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.sg/2012/09/the-rigged-game.html>
Singapore Notes

**** MOE Abolishes Secondary School Banding System And Cuts Awards ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1225528/1/.html>
Monica Kotwani, Channel NewsAsia

> The education ministry has abolished the secondary school banding system, as part of efforts to ensure that "every school is a good school".

**** 李显龙对中国人的警告值得重视 ****
<http://blog.ifeng.com/article/19846437.html>
叶兴平的博客

> 近半年来,中国在与菲律宾的南海争端中展现出强硬姿态,东盟外长会议上中国挫败菲越“抱团”企图,等等。我们中国人觉得出了一口气。包括新加坡在内的很多东盟国家人可能不会有这样的感受。

**** The Flying Kangaroo Hops From Singapore Hub ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2012/09/07/the-flying-kangaroo-hops-from-singapore-hub/>
Gaurav Raghuvanshi, Wall Street Journal

> With those gone, other airlines such as Singapore Airlines and British Airways that fly the route could gain. Singapore Airlines, which recently won rights to fly four times a day to London, could benefit the most by being able to extract better ticket prices and better fill its planes plying the route.

> Changi could benefit in the long run if Qantas, currently the second biggest airline serving Singapore in terms of available seat kilometers, reconfigures its flights in such a way that it brings in more regional passengers, as some expect.

**** Singapore Govt Should Make Amends To Koon Swan ****
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/9/12/nation/12010381&sec=nation>
The Star

> Party president Datuk Seri Dr Chua Soi Lek said the Singaporean authorities should do “whatever needs to be done”.

**** A Conversation On This, Sooner Or Later ****
<http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/a-conversation-on-this-sooner-or-later/>
Andrew Loh

> Still, if we want to talk about what kind of society we want in 20 years, as Minister Heng Swee Keat said, then surely we must address issues such as the Internal Security Act (ISA) by which Vincent and the rest were incarcerated, allegedly tortured, and had their lives – and everything that comes with it – destroyed.

Do we talk about what we really want for Singapore, or do we get to only talk about what PAP can deliver?

**** Give Us Facts NMP Janice Koh: Not Juz Hot Air ****
<http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/give-us-facts-nmp-janice-koh-not-juz-hot-air/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** DPM Tharman’s 20/20 Hindsight Vs PAP’s Claim Of 20-Year Foresight ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/09/dpm-tharmans-2020-hindsight-vs-paps-claim-of-20-year-foresight/>
Tan Jee Say, The Online Citizen

> The real salvation for Singapore lies outside the PAP and there are enough talent out there to form an alternative leadership team. It's time for them to come together, get organised and stand ready to take over.

**** Neighbour Disputes: HDB Does Not Take Enforcement Action ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120912-0000057/Neighbour-disputes--HDB-does-not-take-enforcement-action>
Today