[MyAppleMenu] Sep 11, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Sep 11 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Official YouTube App Arrives In The App Store, Complete With YouTube Ads ****
<http://www.imore.com/official-youtube-app-arrives-app-store-complete-youtube-ads>
Chris Oldroyd, IMore

**** Tracking Down The UDID Breach Source ****
<http://intrepidusgroup.com/insight/2012/09/tracking-udid-src/>
Intrepidus Group

**** Amazon And Apple’s Giant Markups On Flash Storage ****
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/10/amazon-apple-tablets-flash/>
Brian X. Chen, New York Times

> A report published by IHS iSuppli, the components research firm, in March found that marking up memory costs is where Apple gets a lot of its iPad profits.

On the other hand, Apple is actively reducing the need for more storage with initiatives such as iTunes Match and iCloud.

**** Ergonis Unveils PopChar X 6.0 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168472/ergonis_unveils_popchar_x_6_0.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

> PopChar now features a “font preview” that lets users see a character shown in various fonts and sizes; it also includes a customizable “sample text” feature to see how the selected glyphs will look in context, rather than going through a cumbersome choose-then-undo process before hitting on the right font for the character.

**** Filtering Faked Email Messages ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168474/filtering_faked_email_messages.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Company Says It, Not F.B.I., Was Hacking Victim ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/technology/company-says-it-not-fbi-was-hacking-victim.html?_r=1>
Nicole Perlroth, New York Times

> The company, BlueToad, which works with thousands of publishers to translate printed content into digital and mobile formats, said hackers had breached its systems more than a week ago and stolen the file. A few days after the file appeared online, the company realized it matched the stolen information, said Paul DeHart, BlueToad’s chief executive.

**** Toys 'R' Us $150 Android Tablet For Kids To Battle Kindle Fire ****
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2000484/toys-r-us-150-android-tablet-for-kids-to-battle-kindle-fire.html>
Daniel Ionescu, TechHive

**** Wireless Charging—Has Its Time Finally Arrived? ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/news/429163/wireless-charginghas-its-time-finally-arrived/?ref=rss>
Jessica Leber, Technology Review

**** Cruise ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/poem/2012/09/_cruise_by_james_longenbach_.html>
James Longenbach, Slate

**** Off The Charts ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/books/review/fallen-rock-stars-in-contemporary-fiction.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Jay Ruttenberg, New York Times

> I was a recovering rock critic; a music nerd at rest. It was oddly liberating. For the first time in my adult life, I felt no pressure to seek out unheard sounds or keep pace with the prevailing trends of the teenage class. It is difficult to convey the bliss experienced when I realized, one golden August afternoon, I did not have to figure out what a Lana Del Rey was. I spent that summer playing tennis, reading novels and working on a book filled with toilet jokes and gratuitous references to Harpo Marx. Life was sweet.

**** 新加坡錯控致陷囹圄‧艱辛日子歷歷在目‧陳群川百感交集 ****
<http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/260549?tid=1>
許俊傑, 星洲日報

> 陳群川目前是中國多個地產項目的發展商,並獲得海南島頒發“榮譽市民",以表揚他對海南島的貢獻。

**** 新加坡政府缩紧移民政策 中国留学生担心就业难 ****
<http://edu.cn.yahoo.com/ypen/20120911/1304324.html>
人民网

> 据新加坡《联合早报》报道,随着新加坡政府缩紧移民政策,在本地接受教育的中国留学生无不关心往后的出路,担心毕业后找不到工作。

**** 'Singapore Is Not A Safe Haven For Fugitives,' Says CPIB Director ****
<http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/singapore-is-not-a-safe-haven-for-fugitives-says-cpib-director/543800>
Rizky Amelia, The Jakarta Globe

> “Singapore is not a safe haven for fugitives, or for dirty money,” said Eric Tan Chong Sian on the sidelines of the 8th international workshop of the Southeast Asia Parties Against Corruption (Seapac) in Yogayakarta on Tuesday. “We have laws against this.”

> Some of Indonesia’s most famous graft convicts, such as Gayus Halomoan Tambunan and Muhammad Nazaruddin, have allegedly deposited money in Singapore banks. Because the two countries don’t have a working extradition agreement, it is difficult for Indonesia to establish a paper trail.

**** Public Transport Is Significantly Subsidised By Government: Lui Tuck Yew ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1225346/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> The government bears the cost of infrastructural development, including capital-intensive infrastructure such as MRT tunnels and bus interchanges.

If the government is bearing the costs of interchanges and MRT stations, why are the two public transport companies automatically given the rights to operate the stations, and profit from them through shop rentals and advertisements? Shouldn't the operations of stations being awarded through tendering exercises instead?

**** MND In No Hurry To Complete Its Review On DBSS For HDB Flats ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1225337/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan said the priority is to ramp up the supply of Build-To-Order flats and Executive Condominium units.

**** Police May Consider On-site Measures For Outdoor Rallies ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1225323/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore's Productivity Rates In 2012 Not Very Positive: Tan Chuan-Jin ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1225315/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

> Mr Tan said companies need to reduce their reliance on manpower, and workers need to continue upgrading themselves so that they can take on the higher value-added jobs created.

**** Acting MCYS Minister Outlines Priorities For New Ministry ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1225310/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

> Developing a strong social service sector will be critical for the new Ministry of Social and Family Development to achieve its aims.

**** The National Conversation: To Join Or Not To Join? ****
<http://spuddings.net/2012/09/11/the-national-conversation-to-join-or-not-to-join/>
Kristen Han, #spuddings

> There is no need to tell me to “step up”; as far as I’m concerned, I have already stepped up. If they want to convince me – and the many other skeptics like me – that this is different from all the other shows of engagement (where our efforts to reach out to them were for naught), then it is the government who needs to step up even more.

The conversations are always present, whether they are in <i>kopitiams</i> or Wordpress. It's a matter of listening.

**** Varsity, A Passport To Mobility ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120911-0000158/Varsity,-a-passport-to-mobility>
Ho San Cheow, Today

> Our size must thus not be an impediment to providing the highest possible education to our populace, our only natural resource. Education is the best way to add value to our people, keep us relevant and prepare us for Singapore and the world.

We owe it to our children to invest and bring out the best in all of them.

**** The Jaw Dropping Revelation About NUH's Dr Jay Jiade Lu ****
<http://gigomole.blogspot.sg/2012/09/the-jaw-dropping-revelation-about-nuhs.html>
The Gigamole Diaries

**** Broken Homes: 1,135 Couples Bow Out On Flat Bookings ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/residential-property/news/broken-homes-1135-couples-bow-out-flat-bookings>
Singapore Business Review

> Subsequently, 1,135 couples, or 4.3% of those who had booked a flat, cancelled their bookings and had to forfeit their deposit. Amongst these, 367 cited relationship break-up, including annulment and divorce, as the reason for the cancellation.

**** Lee And Goh Accept Chee's Offer ****
<http://yoursdp.org/news/lee_and_goh_accept_chee_s_offer/2012-09-11-5350>
Singaore Democratic Party

> The Official Assignee has replied to Dr Chee Soon Juan that Mr Lee Kuan Yew and Mr Goh Chok Tong have both indicated that they "have no objection" to the offer of $30,000 as settlement of the matter.

**** Bus Operators Get Limited Reprieve From Government Measures ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/transport-logistics/news/bus-operators-get-limited-reprieve-government-measures>
Singapore Business Review

> While this subsidy is needed to incentivise operators to expand their bus fleets as buses are already loss-making; CIMB said that any further fleet expansion will merely sink them deeper in the red.

**** Singapore Donors 'Becoming More Selective' ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/singapore-donors-becoming-more-selective-20120911>
Leslie Kay Lim, Straits Times

**** A Con Job: Singapore National Conversation ****
<http://rogerpoh.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/a-con-job-singapore-national-conversation/>
SpotlightOnSingapore

> National Conversation, as the grand-sounding term implies, should be about fundamental issues like press freedom, political reform etc.

**** Keep The Questions Coming ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.sg/2012/09/keep-questions-coming.html>
Singapore Notes

> Amidst the doldrums of worldwide financial meltdown in 2008, $14 million was still splurged (record high in that year), not a single cent was trimmed to entertain the VVIPs who were hosted to exclusive cocktail parties while the common folk make their way home in the over crowded trains and buses.

**** Higher Occupancy & Lower Rental For Stalls Under New Tender System ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1225285/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> More stalls which were lying idle for months have been taken up while rental rates have been falling - due to a new tender system, where a reserve rent is no longer set when tendering vacant stalls.

**** Housing Grants – Do They Really Help Singaporeans? ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/09/56412/>
Edmund Lim, The Online Citizen

**** I Am Against Hate Speech Of All Kinds ****
<http://publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/766-i-am-against-hate-speech-of-all-kinds-sim-ann>
Sim Ann, Ministry of Education and Ministry of Law, Publichouse.sg

> It is clear from my article that I am against hate speech of all kinds, regardless of target. This naturally includes hate speech directed at my fellow countrymen by foreigners.

**** People Are Not Fooled By IPS' Reasoning ****
<http://yoursdp.org/news/ips_reasoning_people_are_not_fooled/2012-09-10-5347>
Singaore Democratic Party

**** Question Time ****
<http://berthahenson.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/question-time/>
Bertha Harian

> News media should alert readers when questions are <i>not</i> answered by newsmakers.

**** Singapore Looks To Benefits In Qantas-Emirates Deal ****
<http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jCYx8L-RuLGjZ0-Lu6l1PCZfMeRQ?docId=CNG.c127e5d06bd0c3c842bebf5fe5d7f2af.621>
AFP

> Singapore's trade minister Lim Hng Kiang on Monday acknowledged the city-state would be impacted by Qantas's tie-up with Emirates but said the air hub was looking to growth in Asia travel.

**** Carrefour Leaves Room For Supermarket Sweep ****
<http://www.asiaone.com/A1Business/General%2BNews/Story/A1Story20120910-370719.html>
Nisha Ramchandani, The Business Times

> While a new entrant could help even the playing field a little, it would either require a rival with sufficient heft and scale to take on the big boys or a competitor that caters specifically to a niche segment, industry observers say.

**** 林良實:道歉無法抹除冤獄之痛‧新加坡應補償陳群川 ****
<http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/260535?tid=1>
星洲日報

> 馬華前總會長敦林良實今日說,新加坡前主控官格林奈並不能以一句“對不起"就抹去陳群川因被錯誤提控、定罪、坐冤獄兼罰款所承受的痛苦。

> 他表示希望,在格林奈承認錯控及道歉後,新加坡政府能採取後續行動,包括補償陳群川、其家人、朋友、支持者,乃至馬華因這宗冤案而承受的創傷、付出的代價及無法言喻的痛苦,並還陳群川清白。

This is probably not the first time, nor the last time, the Singapore Courts have done wrong.
Which reminds me of the death penalty that Courts use.

**** To Boldly Grow Old ****
<http://berthahenson.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/to-boldly-grow-old/>
Bertha Harian

**** Penalties To Be Reviewed ****