[MyAppleMenu] Sep 15, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 15 18:59:01 EDT 2012

**** Apple Sends Emailed Apologies For iCloud Outage ****
<http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/14/apple-sends-emailed-apologies-for-icloud-outage/>
Jordan Golson, MacRumors

**** From OmniFocus To Evernote ****
<http://speirs.org/blog/2012/9/15/from-omnifocus-to-evernote.html>
Fraser Speirs

> For most of this time, I've been using OmniFocus to manage my projects and to-do lists but I've recently started using Evernote for my entire GTD implementation and I thought I might share some ideas with you.

**** Six Months Of Paper: Sketching The Future Of App Startups ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/14/3318154/paper-for-ipad-fiftythree-sketching-the-future-of-app-startups>
Ellis Hamburger, The Verge

> Nearly six months after launching Paper for iPad to much praise and fanfare, George Petschnigg still can't stop smiling. Our interview hasn't even begun and he's already spouting off the various ways his team has tightened up Paper to be easier and more intuitive for users. It's typical startup founder talk, except Petschnigg leads an unusual startup that has thus far delivered on its promises to build a great product. Ask him about money, and his tail drops between his legs as if he's ashamed, or perhaps even embarrassed, for profiting on a tool he built for himself, his friends, and his colleagues.

**** iPhone 5 Pre-orders Sold Out, Now Shipping In A Minimum Of Two Weeks ****
<http://www.imore.com/iphone-5-pre-orders-sold-out-now-shipping-minimum-two-weeks>
Chris Oldroyd, IMore

**** Why The iPhone 5 On Verizon And Sprint Won’t Juggle Calls And Data ****
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/iphone-5-calls-data/>
Brian X. Chen, New York Times

> Leaving that third antenna out allows Apple to simplify the process of manufacturing the iPhone for multiple carriers. Plus, in the next two years, 4G LTE technology is supposed to evolve to support voice calls, which would render another antenna unnecessary.

**** Paper By Fiftythree Update Brings Faster Ink, Edge-to-edge Drawing, And More ****
<http://www.imore.com/paper-fiftythree-update-faster-ink-edge-edge-drawing-more>
Leanna Lofte, IMore

> The popular iPad sketching app Paper by fiftythree has been updated with some really great features including faster ink, edge-to-edge drawing, new gestures, an improved Rewind feature, and more. Paper focuses on being able to bring focus to their users and providing a natural creative experience. This upgrade makes that experience even better.

**** Three-Minute Tech: LTE ****
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2000514/three-minute-tech-lte.html>
Glenn Fleishman, TechHive

**** FAQ: iPhone 5 And 5GHz Wi-Fi ****
<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/091412-iphone5-5ghz-262466.html?hpg1=bn>
John Cox, Network World

**** Bugs & Fixes: The Case Of The Stuck Skype Preferences ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168594/bugs_and_fixes_the_case_of_the_stuck_skype_preferences.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Ted Landau, Macworld

**** Boom! ****
<http://brockerhoff.net/blog/2012/09/13/boom-2/>
Rainer Brockerhoff, Solipsism Gradient

> People keep asking why Apple didn’t opt for the micro-USB connector. The answer is simple: that connector isn’t smart enough. It has only 5 pins: +5V, Ground, 2 digital data pins, and a sense pin, so most of the dock connector functions wouldn’t work – only charging and syncing would. Also, the pins are so small that no current plug/connector manufacturer allows the 2A needed for iPad charging.

**** Peace Be Upon You ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/human_nature/2012/09/mohammed_movie_embassy_attacks_don_t_let_internet_videos_drive_you_to_violence_.html>
William Saletan, Slate

> You’re living in the age of the Internet. Your religion will be mocked, and the mockery will find its way to you. Get over it.

**** Our Oldest Self-Help Book ****
<http://thesmartset.com/article/article09101201.aspx>
Stefany Anne Golberg, The Smart Set

> When did we start choosing over-the-counter over DIY witchcraft?

**** Unnatural Women ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/16/books/review/breasts-by-florence-williams.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
M. G. Lord, New York Times

> “Breasts” is less a primer on anatomy than a catalog of environmental devastation akin to Rachel Carson’s 1962 classic “Silent Spring,” which detailed the impact of industrial chemicals — notably, the pesticide DDT — on animal life. But Williams, who cites Carson as an inspiration, has written a far scarier book. Carson examined birds and fish. Williams looks at us.

**** Spell It Out By David Crystal – Review ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/sep/14/spell-it-out-david-crystal-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Sam Leith, The Guardian

> We quite often talk, colloquially, about the written language having "evolved". As the linguist David Crystal's new book demonstrates with some panache, almost exactly the opposite took place.

**** Espresso ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/sep/14/saturday-poem-espresso-christopher-reid?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Christopher Reid, The Guardian

**** “The End Of Men: And The Rise Of Women” By Hanna Rosin ****
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinion/the-end-of-men-and-the-rise-of-women-by-hanna-rosin/2012/09/14/72d457a6-f1f9-11e1-a612-3cfc842a6d89_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Jennifer Howard, Washington Post

> Hanna Rosin’s “The End of Men” drops into this siegelike atmosphere like a grenade — at least its title does. Whatever the headlines say, however beleaguered we may feel, Rosin argues that females are gaining the upper hand. That’s why the “war on women” rhetoric fails, in her view. “A society that has become utterly dependent on the unfettered ambition of women cannot possibly, with a straight face, reopen the debate about contraception,” she writes.

**** “Wait: The Art and Science of Delay” by Frank Partnoy ****
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinion/wait-the-art-and-science-of-delay-by-frank-partnoy/2012/09/14/ff9fb3f0-f759-11e1-8253-3f495ae70650_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Mark Berman, Washington Post

> Frank Partnoy’s fascinating, engaging new book offers a wonderful counterargument, summed up in his title: “Wait.” The key part of making a good decision, he believes, is to wait as long as you can before acting. “The longer we can wait, the better,” Partnoy writes.

**** The Glory Of Leaves ****
<http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/10/leaves/dunn-text?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ng%2FNGM%2FNGM_Magazine+%28National+Geographic+Magazine%29>
Rob Dunn, National Geographic Magazine

> Sometimes a masterwork hangs in a museum. Other times it hangs from the branch of a tree or rounds out a slender stem.

**** Singaporean Style ****
<http://opinionationblog.blogspot.sg/2012/09/singaporean-style.html>
Opinionation

**** Sticks, Stones And Violent Words: Bones Of Contention ****
<http://journalism.sg/2012/09/15/sticks-stones-and-violent-words-bones-of-contention/>
Cherian George, Journalism.sg

> As Gary Yue has discovered to his cost and others should take note, Singapore applies a different standard.

**** Sakae Sushi Boss Exposed – Liar Liar Pants On Fire ****
<http://www.autho-rity.info/2012/09/15/sakae-sushi-boss-exposed-liar-liar-pants-on-fire/>
Authority Sites Blog

> So my question is, after the Sakae Sushi boss is caught lying through his teeth and his company potentially doing something illegal in terms of employment and trying to manipulate government policies, is the Singapore government going to do something to deter such errant employers in the future? How did the government get their information that companies in Singapore are in dire need of foreign workers? Do they get their information from people like this Sakae Sushi boss?

**** PAP Election Campaign Kicks Off With The National Conversation In A Traditional Way ****
<http://pijitailai.blogspot.sg/2012/09/pap-election-campaign-kicks-off-with.html>
否极泰来 Piji Tailai

**** Channel News Asia Is The Fairest Channel In The Universe ****
<http://newnation.sg/2012/09/channel-news-asia-is-the-fairest-channel-in-the-universe/>
New Nation

> If there ever was a longest 4 percent margin, this would be it.

**** The Future According To Sushi ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/09/15/the-future-according-to-sushi/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

> However, what mystifies me is why the company thinks this is the best design they can come up with. When they design a job that is so physically demanding, they immediately reduce the pool of available candidates. How many people would take a job that means wet hands and being on one’s feet almost 12 hours a day? The job is also destructive of a person’s social life and emotional wellbeing by being so demanding of his time.

For a government that is eager to be seen promoting work-life balance as well as upgrading of jobs, this Sakae Sushi stunt is a slap in the face. Shame on Douglas Foo. Shame on NTUC.

**** Single-parent Families Are Seeing MPs Due To Challenges They Face: MPs ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1226218/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

> "If people are important to us, the illegitimate child is also important to us."

I don't know, but this statement rubs me the wrong way.

**** Half A Century Of Evolution ****
<http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2012/9/15/columnists/insightdownsouth/12024384&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

> The million-dollar HDB unit is almost certain to hasten the trend for further hikes. Ironically, it was the HDB’s brilliant achievements in the 1960s that put the ruling People’s Action Party (PAP) into power.

> Today the new pressures of demand and cost could become its political undoing, if the problem is not resolved.

**** National Conversation Versus National Debate ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120915-0000033/National-conversation-versus-national-debate>
Sin Wei Xiang, Today

> Singapore Democratic Party Secretary-General Chee Soon Juan said that the party has been "proposing alternative policies and research papers as well as public forums". The National Solidarity Party recently held a forum on housing issues and policies. The Workers' Party Youth Wing has had 10 instalments of its YouthQuake forum series so far, on topics such as media and family.

> Bloggers, socio-political commentators, civil society and interest groups also often express constructive opinions, online and offline. If the views arising from these platforms are ignored, the Government would risk not being seen as inclusive.

**** Core Values Or Meritocracy? ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120915-0000036/Core-values-or-meritocracy?>
Tan Weizhen, Today

> Meritocracy may be a good system, but it may not necessarily be a good value to have as it promotes competition and cynicism, said participants yesterday at a near-two-hour-long forum, A Conversation With PM Lee, hosted by Channel NewsAsia.

**** $30,0000.. And The Implications For Singapore Politics ****
<http://politicalwritings.wordpress.com/2012/09/15/300000-and-the-implications-for-singapore-politics/>
Political Writings

> Through their action, our two former leaders have set a precedent for PAP politicians. It means any PAP politician in future will be seen as mean and petty of they do not settle for $30,000. Or even less than $30,000, since their reputations may not be as large as Mr Lee’s and Mr Goh’s combined.

I think treating this as a upper limit for defamation penalties is naive. Don't forget the years of bankruptcy too.

**** Wayang Wayang ****
<http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.sg/2012/09/wayang-wayang.html>
Singapore Life And Times

> Don't tell me that when your aunt or uncle or brother, or even a friend visit, you don't try to be a good host? At least you would offer them a cup of water? Some would normally offer more. How much more? It depends. Some will even cook up a storm to entertain the guests. Apparently, mrbrown appears not to believe in hospitality.

**** Construction Sector To Cut Reliance On Foreign Workers: DPM Tharman ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/construction-sector-cut-reliance-foreign-workers-dpm-tharman-20120915>
Maria Almenoar, Straits Times

> Singapore's construction companies need to tap innovation to reduce reliance on foreign workers, said deputy prime minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam.

Should have done this long time ago.

**** Companies Will Need Permit For Work At Heights ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/companies-will-need-permit-work-heights-20120915>
Jalelah Abu Baker, Straits Times