[MyAppleMenu] Sep 9, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Sep 9 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Setting The Stage For The Next iPhone ****
<http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10013690.html>
CNET

> Workers outside the Novellus Theater at Yerba Buena Gardens in San Francisco decorate the building in colorful decals in preparation for next week's launch of what is expected to be the next generation iPhone.

Very colorful -- are we sure it's only the black and white new iPhone?

**** App.net’s First Two iOS Clients: Rhino And Adian ****
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/app-nets-first-two-ios-clients-rhino-and-adian/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Rhino and Adian look like Twitter clients and share the same limitations and compromises made to ensure a decent experience today. This is indicative of the current state of App.net overall, but like I said: this is an exciting time to watch this platform grow.

**** The Weatherman Is Not A Moron ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/magazine/the-weatherman-is-not-a-moron.html?_r=1&ref=magazine>
Nate Silver, New York Times

> Perhaps the most impressive gains have been in hurricane forecasting.

**** One Nation, Underpants ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/family/2012/09/dav_pilkey_s_captain_underpants_books_why_kids_love_them_and_parents_should_make_peace_with_them_.html>
Jessica Roake, Slate

> The triumphant return of Captain Underpants, hero to hyper, school-hating 8-year-olds.

**** 'It Was A Good Death, The Kind Most People Would Choose' ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/sep/07/right-to-die-mother-nicklinson?newsfeed=true>
Sophie Mackenzie, The Guardian

> It was a good death – the kind of death I think most people would choose if we could: free from pain and surrounded by love. She wasn't hooked up to tubes or monitors; she was even wearing her own pretty nightdress rather than a hospital gown. I suppose it's what you'd call a natural death. But in one way Mum's death was exceptional, shocking even. She had decided to die, about 10 days before, and for the previous six days had had no food and almost no water. She had chosen to die of thirst.

**** Review: Michael Chabon Joyfully Sets Down On 'Telegraph Avenue' ****
<http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-michael-chabon-20120909,0,6692786.story>
Carolyn Kellogg, Los Angeles Times

> "Telegraph Avenue" is so exuberant, it's as if Michael Chabon has pulled joy from the air and squeezed it into the shape of words.

**** Tan Chuan-Jin: Alternative Voices Will Be Included In National Conversation ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/09/tan-chuan-jin-alternative-voices-will-be-included-in-national-conversation/>
Choo Zheng Xi, The Online Citizen

> “Swee Kiat (sic) does not mean that you guys are partisan. He literally means that it is not a partisan exercise and various parties would be included at the various platforms. Opposition as well.”

**** Crying Wolf: Singapore National Conversation ****
<http://rogerpoh.wordpress.com/2012/09/09/crying-wolf-singapore-national-conversation/>
SpotlightOnSingapore

> Little wonder then that this National Conversation has been largely greeted with derision and ridicule.

> Reminds me of the fable “The Boy Who Cried Wolf”.

**** PM: Not Culling Sacred Cows ****
<http://blogging4myself.blogspot.sg/2012/09/pm-not-culling-sacred-cows.html>
Blogging For Myself

**** Not Just A Blogger, Not Quite A Person ****
<http://spuddings.net/2012/09/09/not-just-a-blogger-not-quite-a-person-2/>
Kristen Han, #spuddings

> But if the committee cannot admit people who are likely to disagree with the “mainstream”, if the committee hastens to state that it is not about slaughtering sacred cows, then how do we know that this is going to be <i>our</i> Singapore instead of theirs?

**** Making The National Conversation National ****
<http://benjamincheah.wordpress.com/2012/09/09/making-the-national-conversation-national/>
Benjamin Cheah

> An inclusive conversation isn’t defined by the government. It is defined by everybody.

**** Kee Chiu If You Are On The Bell Curve! ****
<http://wanderfool.blog.com/2012/09/09/kee-chiu-if-you-are-on-the-bell-curve/>
Wandering Fool In A Complex Universe

**** Rochor Road Ferrari Crash Payout Rejection Is Test Case By AXA ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/rochor-road-ferrari-crash-payout-rejection-test-case-axa-20120909>
K. C. Vijayan, Straits Times

> AXA Insurance Singapore is making a test case out of its bid to reject any payout to the family of Chinese national Ma Chi, the Ferrari driver who died in a high-speed crash which left two others dead and two injured.

**** Malay Singaporeans Are A Marginal Community But They Are Not Marginalized: SDP Forum ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/09/malay-singaporeans-are-a-marginal-community-but-they-are-not-marginalized-sdp-forum/>
Kumaran Pillai, The Online Citizen

> While minister Heng Swee Kiat has deployed thousands of people into his national conversation project; a two man team of Mr. Jufrie Mahmood and Dr Vincent Wijeysingha were having their own “national conversation,” starting off with the Malay community.

**** Boarding On Beach Road ****
<http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/article/1030749/boarding-beach-road>
Gillian Rhys, South China Morning Post

> Raffles has been eulogised by the many great writers who have stayed there – Rudyard Kipling declared, “Let the traveller take note: feed at Raffles” (although he preferred the beds at L’Europe, a city rival that closed in 1932). And Somerset Maugham immortalised the hotel as “standing for all the fables of the exotic East”. But in its 125th year, the story of Raffles is perhaps best told by guests and staff who know the grande dame well.

**** Should Lunch Breaks Be Mandatory? ****
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19495012>
Frank Partnoy, BBC

> Today, many individuals trade too much. A mandatory break might help wean day traders off the addiction of constant trading. Unfortunately, the trend is toward more trading, not less.

> Historically, stock exchanges in Hong Kong, Shenzhen, and Singapore recognised the benefits of a lunch break. But now the Asian markets are moving toward the Western model of continuous trading, and shortening their lunch breaks.

**** Resolve Unfairness Felt By Singaporeans First Before Integrating Foreigners ****
<http://thinking-free-and-fair.blogspot.sg/2012/09/fairness-to-all-singaporeans-and.html>
Think Free And Fair

> Although our government is right in calling upon Singaporeans to be more big-hearted and less narrow-minded in accepting foreigners, this sensible message is not going to go down well with Singaporeans unless the government accepts its fair share of blame for its terrible execution of the immigration policy.

**** Our Singapore Conversation Not About Slaying Sacred Cows ****
<http://everythingalsocomplain.com/2012/09/09/our-singapore-conversation-not-about-slaying-cows/>
Everything Also Complain

> With the PAP themselves not even on the same page about the agenda of this glamourised consultation exercise, how open will this ‘moo-ve’ be other than giving critics further reason to slam it as a play-acting formality to show that the government is friendly and compassionate?

**** Time To Stop Depending On Foreigners And Put The Trust Back Into Singaporeans ****
<http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2012/09/09/time-to-stop-depending-on-foreigners-and-put-the-trust-back-into-singaporeans/>
The Temasek Times

> Stop grovelling at the feet of others. We have learnt that hard lesson from the colonial masters.

**** PAP MP Sim Ann Attacks Netizens For Making ‘Hate Speech’ Against Foreigners ****
<http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2012/09/09/pap-mp-sim-ann-attacks-netizens-for-making-hate-speech-against-foreigners/>
The Temasek Times

> Ms Sim should give clear examples of what constitute ‘hate speech’ instead of generalizing and lumping them together with legit criticisms of the government’s pro-foreigner immigration policies which have caused tremendous hardship and suffering to ordinary Singaporeans.

**** Why The Lack Of Trust? ****
<http://singablogger.blogspot.sg/2012/09/why-lack-of-trust.html>
Singa Blogger Blogspot

**** 20 Years Old Leaving Singapore ****
<http://kthinking.blogspot.sg/2012/09/20-years-old-leaving-singapore.html>
Diary Of K

> So to all the youths of Singapore who are disillusioned and want to move on to another country. I would say "go forth and experience something else". You are in the prime of life and it is time to broaden your horizon. The world is your oyster. Make the world a better place.

**** Why Is Singapore Pulling Out Of Venice Biennale? ****
<http://www.theasianobserver.com/2012/09/08/why-is-singapore-pulling-out-of-venice-biennale/>
Janice Koh, The Asian Observer

> This decision on the part of NAC not only demonstrates the huge and sudden swing in government’s cultural policy towards pushing community arts for the masses, it clearly shows the lack of a consistent and robust long-term strategy to develop Singapore artists and the Singapore arts scene in a holistic manner.

**** Japan, Singapore: Let Law Settle South China Sea Rows ****
<http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120909a8.html>
The Japan Times

> Prime minister Yoshihiko Noda and Singapore leader Lee Hsien Loong on Saturday urged China and countries in Southeast Asia with competing territorial claims in the South China Sea to resolve their differences via international law, including the U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea.

**** 新加坡每天一人自殺‧65歲以上佔總人數23% ****
<http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/260307?tid=2>
星洲日報

> 自殺者中,65歲以上的年長者從前年的68人增至去年的83人,增加了22%,增幅主要來自65至75歲者,以及85歲以上的年長者。這兩組年長者的自殺人數前年分別有28人和6人,去年則分別增加到52人和14人。

**** Square Moon Swallowed By Public Tax Monster ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/09/08/square-moon-swallowed-by-public-tax-monster/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

> To be able to criticise them and reflect on inherent possibilities of abuse of power is a public interest imperative. Our money should therefore be deployed to support such initiatives, not to block them.

We should support the arts <i>directly</i>.

**** Khaw Eases Fears Over $1M Flat Price ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/khaw-eases-fears-over-1m-flat-price-20120909>
Rachel Chang, Straits Times

> There will always be "units with fantastic views that fetch fantastic prices", he said of the sale of the executive maisonette in Queenstown, which is still in the works.

> "More important is the larger picture," Mr Khaw said at a dialogue with Sembawang grassroots leaders.

Maybe HDB will start building multi-story carparks and day care centres to block up all the views. :)

**** Pritam Cannot Take Criticism From Bloggers! Says Singapolitics. ****
<http://pratapolitics.blogspot.sg/2012/09/pritam-cannot-tak-criticism-from.html>
Prata Politics