[MyAppleMenu] Sep 8, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 8 18:59:01 EDT 2012

**** Moms Can Make iOS Apps, Too ****
<http://www.maclife.com/article/news/moms_can_make_ios_apps_too>
Florence Ion, Mac Life

> The mom of two grew tired of dealing with design engineers and jumping through hoops to get the design process going, so she took her business expertise with her and set out to study a programming language to get an app into the iTunes App Store on her very own.

**** As The Dockpocalypse Nears, Bluetooth-Enabled iPhone Substitutes Abound ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/07/as-the-dockpocalypse-nears-bluetooth-enabled-iphone-substitutes-abound/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29>
Darrell Etherington, TechCrunch

> Rumors are that Apple will market an adapter, but there’s no telling whether that will work with all models and makes of existing iPhone audio docks, so companies have been preparing to reap the benefits of Apple’s planned obsolescence with new Bluetooth-enabled iPhone replacements that will keep those tunes pumping no matter what Apple does to its smartphone’s primary data I/O connection.

If Apple doesn't handle this transition well, it may turn out to be the year when everything goes Bluetooth -- and Android takes over the ecosystem.

**** Apple Makes Big Push Into Sunnyvale ****
<http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_21493863/apple-makes-big-push-into-sunnyvale>
George Avalos And Patrick May, Bay Area News Group

> This was Apple's first step into Sunnyvale,'' said Connie Verceles, the city's economic development manager. "And they didn't just dip their toes in -- they went all the way.''

**** Sony Announces New Pro Audio Suite For OS X ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/07/sony-announces-new-pro-audio-suite-for-os-x/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

**** More Data Beats Better Algorithms — Or Does It? ****
<http://allthingsd.com/20120907/more-data-beats-better-algorithms-or-does-it/>
Omar Tawakol, All Things D

**** Managing A Child’s Allowance, The Online Version ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/08/your-money/managing-a-childs-allowance-the-online-version.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Ron Lieber, New York Times

> “This is not a pill, or three weeks at a gym or a 10-DVD set,” said Mark Bruinooge, the co-founder and a veteran of Bank of America’s digital operations. “It’s a multiyear conversation about how your family uses money. We want it to be part of the family routine.”

**** ‘I’d Like To Apologize To Every Teacher I Ever Had,’ By Tony Danza ****
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/id-like-to-apologize-to-every-teacher-i-ever-had-by-tony-danza/2012/09/07/11243d0c-dbf4-11e1-9974-5c975ae4810f_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Colin Fleming, Washington Post

> There’s a streamlined premise here: Danza loses a TV gig, wonders what to do with himself, contemplates a difficult family situation — he’s separated, with two kids — and decides to make up for past transgressions against his former teachers and, touchingly, his earlier, more reckless self. And so it’s off to teach 10th-grade English in Philly’s hardscrabble Northeast High, a school that has its students pass through a metal detector each morning.

**** These Wild Solitudes ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/books/review/winter-journal-by-paul-auster.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Meghan O'Rourke, New York Times

> Paul Auster was a novelist in Brooklyn before there were novelists in Brooklyn.

**** Rereading Jane Austen's Novels ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/sep/07/rereading-jane-austens-novels-katha-pollitt?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Katha Pollitt, The Guardian

**** “Cronkite” by Douglas Brinkley ****
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/cronkite-by-douglas-brinkley/2012/09/07/cc93cdc6-eaec-11e1-a80b-9f898562d010_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Robert MacNeil, Washington Post

> For anyone interested in the evolution and power of broadcast news, this book is a tremendous read, minutely documenting TV journalism’s most remarkable phenomenon, Walter Cronkite.

**** Lost Tracks ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/books/review/telegraph-avenue-by-michael-chabon.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Jennifer Egan, New York Times

> “Telegraph Avenue,” Michael Chabon’s rich, comic new novel, is a homage to an actual place: the boulevard in Northern California where Oakland — historically an African-American city — aligns with Berkeley, whose bourgeois white inhabitants are, as one character puts it, “liable to invest all their hope of heaven in the taste of an egg laid in the backyard by a heritage-breed chicken.” The novel is equally a tribute to the cinematic style of Quentin Tarantino, whose films its characters study and discuss, and whose preoccupations pepper its pages: kung fu, cinematic allusions and the blaxploitation films of the 1970s; and an interest in African-American characters and experience.

**** The Tactless Sim Ann's Joke ****
<http://blogging4myself.blogspot.sg/2012/09/the-tactless-sim-anns-joke.html>
Blogging For Myself

> Sim Ann's shows her inexperience and insensitivity posting something like this on her facebook page. Don't you know that words often carry baggage?

**** Newspaper's Gaffe Fails To Deter Would-be Killers ****
<http://kementah.blogspot.sg/2012/09/newspapers-gaffe-fails-to-deter-would.html>
David Boey, Senang Diri

> Murder is a hanging offence in Singapore. The article's headline appears to suggest that one can get away with murder if one is prepared to pay the price and trade one's freedom for time in jail with three square meals a day, shelter and exercise periods - which are basics that many poor people in Singapore do not have - and endure caning.

**** Our Irrelevant President One Year Later ****
<http://blogging4myself.blogspot.sg/2012/09/our-irrelevant-president-one-year-later.html>
Blogging For Myself

> Today we have fault lines and cracks between locals and foreigners, the rich and the poor. These issues are also political as they are the consequence of government policies. Where is President Tony Tan? He is just working to SR Nathan script. Why not emulate Yusof Ishak? Where was Tony Tan when Laurentia Tan won her medals. We need the President to represent us there. We want a President that represents us not the government. The government job is to be a realist except when we have the extraordinary fortune to have a visionary political leader. The President's role is idealistic and aspirational. President Tony Tan clearly isn't one.

**** Increase Social Spending Means More Taxes? ****
<http://leongszehian.com/?p=1830>
Leong Sze Hian

**** Conversation Will Take A Year, Perhaps Longer: Heng ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120908-0000061/Conversation-will-take-a-year,-perhaps-longer--Heng>
Tan Weizhen, Today

> "Now when we have a conversation involving thousands of Singaporeans, there will be many different viewpoints. Some of these viewpoints will differ from each other and it will not be possible for every view to prevail and every suggestion to be taken up. So we need the spirit of give and take."

**** Malay Issues Are National Issues: SDP Forum ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/761-malay-issues-are-national-issues-sdp-forum>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

> Ironically, it is the SDP which has shown how such a conversation can take place – even if the topic for discussion is a “sensitive” one.

**** Singapore Carrier SingTel Will Remove 4G Surcharge ****
<http://asia.cnet.com/singapore-carrier-singtel-will-remove-4g-surcharge-62218618.htm>
Aloysius Low, CNET Asia

**** Singapore Says ASEAN Expansion Much More Complex Nowadays ****
<http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=846622&publicationSubCategoryId=200>
Xinhua

> The issue of Timor Leste joining the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) is complex, though Singapore keeps an open mind on it, Singapore's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Friday.

**** Singapore Attracts 23 Licence Applications ****
<http://www.thelawyer.com/singapore-attracts-23-licence-applications/1014179.article>
The Lawyer

**** Singapore Conversation ****
<http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2012/09/singapore-conversation.html/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rana+%28pressrun.net%29>
Pressrun.net

> Can government policies be shaped by social media? Why not?

**** A Fine Can Never Make Up For Commuters' Inconvenience: Josephine Teo ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1224818/1/.html>
Dylan Loh, Channel NewsAsia

> However, she said the penalty is sized to adequately reflect the scale of the impact of the disruption.

Both SMRT and SBS are "too big to fail."

**** Khaw Boon Wan Assures Singles That He's Looking Into Their Housing Concerns ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1224834/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

> Mr Khaw, however, adds that he needs some time as his current focus is on the immediate needs of the second-time flat applicants, until they are largely addressed next year.

> He cautioned that if the demand is misjudged, the interests of married couples, especially those with children, may be adversely affected.

Also:
• <a href="http://mndsingapore.wordpress.com/2012/09/08/singles-i-hear-you/">Singles, I Hear You</a> (Housing Matters, Singapore Government)
Priority is for non-singles. Don't worry though, singles, you're next.

**** Improving English In Schools ****
<http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2012/9/8/columnists/insightdownsouth/11988736&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

> “First, the country needs to open up the press and be more tolerant to alternate views,” said one critic, an unlikely move any time soon.

种瓜得瓜。

**** Where Have Our Reserves Gone? ****
<http://sonofadud.com/2012/09/07/where-have-our-reserves-gone/>
Kenneth Jeyaretnam, Rethinking The Rice Bowl

> We have to seriously consider the possibility that our reserves have been depleted through bad investments and are no longer sufficient to repay the CPF.

**** It's Not The Fix For Parking Woes ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Business/EDC120907-0000009/Its-not-the-fix-for-parking-woes>
Conrad Raj, Today

> By curbing such developments, one may be depriving those in need of such dwellings - such as singles, couples without children, retirees and investors, who love these units as they provide fairly good returns from being rented out, especially to single foreigners.

The Singapore government need to guarantee that singles and smaller families can purchase a non-shoebox apartment at the same price at the current shoebox apartments.

**** National Conversation – Another Failed Promise ? ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/09/national-conversation-another-failed-promise/>
Walter Jayandran, The Online Citizen