[MyAppleMenu] Sep 3, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Sep 3 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Why Apple Had To Evolve Its Approach ****
<http://adage.com/article/digital/apple-evolve-approach/236985/>
Brian Steinberg, Advertising Age

> The company that made a name for itself with smart, convention-challenging ads that cast it in the role of underdog is now on top as the most valuable U.S. company and maker of that high-selling smartphone. Its challenge is to create commercials that target a broader audience and tout specific features of its key products, the iPhone and iPad, perhaps a departure from the trademark advertising that has always been its emotional raison d'etre.

**** Bruce Willis To Fight Apple Over Rights To Music Collection After His death ****
<http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/4517317/Bruce-Willis-to-fight-Apple-over-music-rights-after-his-death.html>
Fran Wetzel, The Sun

**** Buttons ****
<http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2012/09/02/buttons/>
Lukas Mathis, Ignore The Code

> But buttons are discoverable. They can have labels that describe what they do. Everybody knows how to use them. They just work.

Treat gestures as you would treat keyboard shortcuts and double-clicks: they complements primary interface as alternatives, not replacements.

**** Apple Never Invented Anything ****
<http://www.mondaynote.com/2012/09/02/apple-never-invented-anything/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+monday-note+%28Monday+Note%29>
Jean-Louis Gassée, Monday Note

> And yet, we can’t escape a key fact: The same chef was involved in all these creations. He didn’t write the code or design the hardware, but he was there in the kitchen — the “executive chef” in trade parlance — with a unique gift for picking ingredients and whipping up unique products.

**** How Online Reviews Are Crucial To A Restaurant's Takings ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/sep/02/ratings-boost-restaurants>
Jamie Doward, The Observer

> US economists find that when a restaurant rating improved by just half a star it was very much more likely to be full at peak dining times.

**** The Joys Of Urban Tech ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444914904577619441778073340.html>
Richard Florida, Wall Street Journal

> Silicon Valley remains the world's pre-eminent center of high-tech industry, of course. But even in the Valley, denser, more mixed-use and walkable places, like downtown Palo Alto, are becoming the preferred locations for start-ups and smaller firms. And many other start-ups—Pinterest, Zynga, Yelp, Square and Salesforce.com, to name just a notable few—are taking up residence in downtown San Francisco.

**** Is A Science Ph.D. A Waste Of Time? ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/08/what_is_the_value_of_a_science_phd_is_graduate_school_worth_the_effort_.html>
Daniel Lametti, Slate

> Few people spend 11 years in college. Most stay for four or five before the urge to leave campus and earn a salary kicks in. Barring a thesis defense meltdown, I'll be one of about 50,000 graduate students across the United States and Canada to get a Ph.D. in science this school year. After seven years in graduate school, I'm left wondering if the time and effort was worth it. What do scientists do these days, anyways?

**** Vagina: A New Biography by Naomi Wolf ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/sep/02/vagina-a-new-biography-naomi-wolf?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Naomi Wolf, The Observer

> Words, when deployed in relation to the vagina, are always more than "just words". Because of the subtlety of the mind-body connection, words about the vagina are also what philosopher John Austin, in his 1960 book How to Do Things with Words, calls "performative utterances", often used as a means of social control. A "performative utterance" is a word or phrase that actually accomplishes something in the real world. When a judge says "Guilty" to a defendant, or a groom says "I do", the words alter material reality.

**** Beyond A Joke: The Truth About Why We Laugh ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/sep/02/why-we-laugh-psychology-provine>
RObert Provine, The Observer

> Plato and Aristotle saw it as a tool to topple the mighty. It often accompanies gruesome acts of cruelty. Most of us will use it more routinely – to win friendship and love. So what lies behind the apparent spontaneity of laughter?

**** Boom For made-in-Singapore Toys ****
<http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120903-369195.html>
Michael Allen, My Paper

**** Overhead MRT Stations: An Engineering Oversight? ****
<http://singaporeshortstories.blogspot.sg/2012/09/overhead-mrt-stations-engineering.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+SingaporeShortStories+(SINGAPORE+SHORT+STORIES)>
Singapore Short Stories

> By building a MRT above ground, precious land in land-scare Singapore is utilized.

Seriously, if part of the first two MRT lines were not built above ground at a lower cost than underground, I suspect the MRT may not be built all, back in the 80s.
Also, above-ground MRT lines 'wasting' land is a myth. Except for a short stretch at Tampines (I think) and some fitness-centers, the land next to the tracks have not been utilised fully yet. Also, go look at Woodlands MRT or Jurong East MRT, and see the vast empty plots of land surrounding them.

**** Appeal Filed Against High Court's Decision In Hougang By-election Case ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1223668/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Madam Vellama Marie Muthu is appealing against a High Court Judge's decision to strike out her application.

**** MOE Tweaks PSLE English Language Paper For 2015 Cohort ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1223674/1/.html>
Sharon See, Channel NewsAsia

> Since the new syllabus was introduced two years ago, there have been no textbooks or workbooks. Instead, students are exposed to a wide variety of authentic texts, such as newspaper articles, websites and posters.

> For those taking their PSLE in 2015, they may be asked to evaluate a text that comes with graphics.

**** Whoever Saves One Life, Saves The Entire World: SMRT Driver ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/09/whoever-saves-one-life-saves-the-entire-world-smrt-driver/>
Kumaran Pillai & Leo Khaw, The Online Citizen

> Driving four to five hours at a stretch puts the driver, passengers and other road users at risk. One SMRT bus driver speaks openly about their safety standards and how they are repeatedly compromised in the name of efficiency and timeliness of bus schedules.

**** Making Sense Of The National Day Rally ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/09/making-sense-of-the-national-day-rally/>
Ghui, The Online Citizen

> Against the backdrop of discontent that has plagued the government the last year; I do see a valiant attempt to show Singaporeans that the government is aware of the grievances of the populace and is trying to address these issues. Acknowledgement is a great start and I applaud that first step. The next rung of the ladder is to effectively manage our expectations and provide workable solutions. For that, we have to continue to watch, ask questions and get involved.

**** Signals From Singapolitics ****
<http://berthahenson.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/signals-from-singapolitics/>
Bertha Harian

> Anyway, I think the page is a good idea. The online world needs a platform for moderate voices that are more centrist yet willing to challenge the norms.

My guess is that Straits Times need to own, at least a part, of the conversation. Notice how, when the online version of the paper went behind a paywall, the Forum page and many opinion pages continued to be available for free.
If ST charges for Forum and opinion pieces, readers will migrate elsewhere. And the influence of Straits Times will be greatly diminished.
(ST can afford to charge for news reporting because of the higher barrier of entry to do news reporting.)

**** Our National Conversation ****
<http://kxneo.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/our-national-conversation/>
Kai Xiang SPeaks...

**** We Can Still Revive The Kampung Spirit ****
<http://www.singapolitics.sg/views/we-can-still-revive-kampung-spirit>
William Wan, Straits Times

> There is much for the Government to fine-tune by way of policymaking, but it is not the only one that needs to think about what needs to be done.

**** Law Society Needs To Explain Its Actions ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-letters/story/law-society-needs-explain-its-actions-20120903>
Constance Singam, Straits Times

> My concern also arises from the suspicion that Mr Ravi is being singled out because of the ignorance towards manic depression/bipolar disorder and the stigma attached to it.

**** Framing Issues And Not Telling The Whole Truth – A Popular Tactic Used By MIW ****
<http://jentrifiedcitizen.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/framing-issues-and-not-telling-the-whole-truth-a-popular-tactic-by-miw/>
Jentrified Citizen

> By asking such a shallow question, one wonders if the PM’s attitude to an open national communication has really changed and just how much he and his team really understands of the changes in today’s digital world.

**** A Letter From Singapore ****
<http://asmejmd.org/editorial/a-letter-from-singapore/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=a-letter-from-singapore>
Panos Y. Papalambros, Journal Of Mechanical Design

> There is a strong feeling everywhere you look in Singapore that efficiency and transparency in trading, services and manufacturing creates wealth. This wealth is invested in infrastructure but also in people and new technologies.

**** PAP’s Engagement Yields Results [Or: Who Is Afraid Of Being Radical?] ****
<http://mollymeek.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/paps-engagement-yields-results-or-who-is-afraid-of-being-radical/>
Molitics

> How could the PAP engage in spite of its history of authoritarianism? How could the PAP engage with the ISA still current? How could the PAP engage if it essentially rejects democracy? How could the PAP engage if “engagement” has been de-notionized and is purely rhetorical?

**** 邻居间的那点事 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/fk/fk120903_013.shtml>
郭亮, 联合早报

> 天地大了,心胸该是宽广些的。

**** Teachers' Day: No Day Off In Lieu, Says MOE ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/teachers-day-no-day-lieu-says-moe-20120903>
Straits Times

> "As with other public holidays that fall within the school holidays, no additional day off in lieu is given when Teachers' Day falls within the school holidays," said a spokesman.

**** 'Streamline Subsidies' For Patients ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120903-0000010/Streamline-subsidies-for-patients>
Tan Weizhen, Today

> Healthcare experts said that, although increasing the number of medical social workers - who are now stretched by large caseloads - will help in making sure patients are adequately informed of their financial assistance options, they urged the authorities to improve the subsidy system for patients by pegging subsidies to inflation rates, or to create a "one-stop shop" to streamline the complex financial schemes and make it simpler for patients.

Don't add stress to those who are already stressed out with illness.

**** Singapore Teetering Again Towards Recession: OCBC ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/singapore-teetering-again-towards-recession-ocbc>
Singapore Business Review

> Singapore’s industrial output disappointed at +1.9% yoy (-9.1% mom) in July, marking the slowest yoy growth in three months, and the sharpest mom contraction since Dec 2010, noted OCBC Treasury Research in its latest monthly viewpoint.

**** Legal Framework For Neighbourly Conduct In Singapore: Unnecessary And Contrived? ****
<http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/legal-framework-for-neighbourly-conduct-in-singapore-unnecessary-and-contrived/>
Guanyinmao's Musings

> My opinion is that a legal framework for neighbourly conduct in Singapore appears unnecessary and contrived, and could give rise to more undesirable ramifications instead of addressing present unhappiness in a sustainable manner. Demanding residents could become pedantically nitpicky, with the intent of finding fault with their neighbours over the slightest of transgressions. Legal liabilities can be perceived as being too Draconian, and legal resolution strategies could harm relationships.

**** Singapore's Cultural Renaissance ****
<http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=844542&publicationSubCategoryId=79>
Butch Dalisay, The Philippine Star

> There’s a palpable sense of a cultural and literary renaissance in the place, and the forthcoming SWF will be sure to project Singapore’s cultural vitality even more strongly.

**** Low Birth Rate – Stop Persuading And Start Addressing Existing Problems Faced By Parents ****
<http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/low-birth-rate-stop-persuading-and-start-addressing-existing-problems-faced-by-parents/>
Andrew Loh

> So, isn’t it clear that if we want to encourage Singaporeans to have kids that we should focus on those who already have children and the existing problems they face, rather than try to convince – through incentives, campaigns, persuasion, – those who do not have children to have kids?

> And if we are able to do this, these parents will then become de facto and natural ambassadors who will speak well of having children, instead of perpetuating the fears. They would be much more effective than the Government in delivering the message.

In other words, action speaks louder than words.

**** Cows, Frog And PM Lee's National Conversation ****
<http://www.raviphilemon.net/2012/09/cows-frog-and-pm-lees-national.html>
Ravi Philemon

> A conversation which will probably only bring tweaks to the existing system - which the PAP Government hopes will assuage the deep dissatisfaction Singaporeans feel, and in the process, perhaps a new social contract.

**** Still Not Convinced Of The Need To Increase S&CC ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120903-0000024/Still-not-convinced-of-the-need-to-increase-SCC>
Goh Kian Huat, Today

> Among the 14 PAP town councils, some appear to be better managed than others.

It's not like residents from different town councils <i>voted</i> for different priorities in how the towns are managed.

**** Err Lee What Did You Say Abt Food Inflation? ****
<http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/err-lee-what-did-you-say-abt-food-inflation/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor