[MyAppleMenu] Sep 2, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Sep 2 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** 10 Tips For Getting That Native iOS Feel With PhoneGap ****
<http://www.mikedellanoce.com/2012/09/10-tips-for-getting-that-native-ios.html>
Mike Dellanoce's Blog

> All of the following tips have been tested on iOS 5 with PhoneGap 1.8. Also note that these tips apply just as well to web applications running on mobile Safari.

**** Dismiss Mountain Lion Notifications With A Quick Swipe ****
<http://lifehacker.com/5939762/dismiss-mountain-lion-notifications-with-a-quick-swipe>
Shep McAllister, Lifehacker

> Mountain Lion's system-wide notification banners can occasionally cover up something that you need to click. Luckily, a quick flick can get rid of them instantly.

**** Mozilla Retires Firefox Home For iOS, Releases Source Code On GitHub ****
<http://thenextweb.com/apps/2012/08/31/mozilla-retires-firefox-home-ios-releases-source-code-github/>
Emil Protalinski, The Next Web

> Mozilla today announced it is removing Firefox Home from the Apple App Store so that it can “focus our resources on other projects.”

> The company says the app, which was last updated in February 2011, “provided valuable insight and experience with the platform,” but now it’s time to move on.

**** South Korea Reassesses Its Great Imitator ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/03/technology/companies/south-korea-reassesses-samsung-after-battle-with-apple.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all>
Choe Sang-hun, New York Times

> South Koreans took pride in the fact that Samsung, having already overtaken Sony and other Japanese companies it once mimicked, has now grown powerful enough to make Apple, the current icon of consumer electronics, feel threatened. But Samsung’s legal trouble was also seen as a referendum on the way Samsung — and, by extension, the South Korean economy — has done business.

**** The Return Of Tinky Winky Man ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/02/magazine/with-oogieloves-a-plan-to-make-the-multiplex-more-toddler-friendly.html?_r=1&ref=magazine>
Heather Havrilesky, New York Times

> He pushed for a “Teletubbies” movie but couldn’t persuade Anne Wood, one of the show’s creators, to get onboard. Eventually, he decided to build a movie around a new set of characters. Enter “The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure,” which features three excitable, pear-shaped creatures who break into song and dance at every turn.

**** Everything You Think You Know About China Is Wrong ****
<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/08/29/everything_you_think_you_know_about_china_is_wrong>
Minxin Pei, Foreign Policy

> Are we obsessing about its rise when we should be worried about its fall?

**** Indoor Grill Master ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2012/08/indoor_grilling_can_it_ever_compare_to_the_real_thing_.html>
J. Bryan Lowder, Slate

> Can grilling inside an apartment ever compare to the real thing?

**** National Day Rally 2012 ****
<http://piaroh.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/national-day-rally-2012/>
Words Of The Cze

> I do not know whether the PM has simply given up or perhaps he has a new-old strategy of pragmatism – the youth will cease their complaints the day they become adults and experience the benefits now seeded. It is in my view a poor stratagem - too long-term in its benefits and too immediate in its harms. But I have little reason to be sympathetic to the PM at the moment. I will speculate to say he is preparing the ground for handover, shoring up the party’s support and possibly even taking ownership of blames.

Where will hopes lie, the dreams, if not for youths and children?

**** Objectivity Key To Bringing Balanced Discourse On National Issues: Yaacob ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1223565/1/.html>
Claire Huang, Channel NewsAsia

> "We may have concerns about education, national service, but these are concerns which are shared by other Singaporeans. So if we want to ensure the discourse is balanced and objective, we also have to bring in voices that are objective," he said.

And who decides what is objective, and who decides who is objective?

**** One Way To Cut Estate Costs? ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120902-0000053/One-way-to-cut-estate-costs?>
Thomas Lee Chee Chee, Today

> Perhaps they should do away with the banners of Members of Parliament put up at road junctions.

> They would not come cheap, and with town councils putting up fresh ones for festive seasons or public holidays, I wonder how much is spent every year.

**** Malaysia, Singapore Need To Preserve Excellent Ties, Says Envoy ****
<http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v6/newsgeneral.php?id=691374>
Tengku Noor Shamsiah Tengku Abdullah, Bernama

> Malaysia and Singapore need to preserve their existing exemplary ties to enable both countries to face new circumstances, global demands and regional and social challenges, said Malaysia’s High Commissioner to Singapore Datuk Md Hussin Nayan.

**** A COE Ballot Only For Families? ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120902-0000046/A-COE-ballot-only-for-families?>
Lee Hong Leong, Today

> Only a family with at least one child is eligible for the COE ballot. This would encourage marriage and procreation.

Haven't we learnt lessons from Soviet Union and China in the 50s to 70s, that any central planning of resource allocations is doomed to failures?

**** Job Vacancy: Alternative Government For S'pore ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/755-job-vacancy-alternative-government-for-spore>
Elaine Ee, Publichouse.sg

> It is to say that the non-PAP parties in Singapore have a very important role to grow into. In the current state of things, the PAP is no longer going to have all the solutions. It’s apparent that its style and approach is falling out of favour with many and it no longer enjoys unquestioned support, as it did in the past. The PAP’s policies and top down stance have alienated a large number of people.

In politics, not many problems have one single right solution. We often have to make compromises between different solutions. We need a government that can work with different stakeholders with different opposing viewpoints. And we need to get different political parties to start to work together.

**** Making Singapore A Shark’s Fin-free Country ****
<http://news.insing.com/tabloid/making-singapore-a-sharks-fin-free-country/id-a15d3f00>
Faris Mokhtar, inSing.com

> I think there are still people who may be ignorant and therefore continue to eat shark’s fin. But we do see more awareness pertaining to environmental issues, with the younger generation being more aware and taking the lead in making a stand. There is a growing number of cases where couples chose not to serve shark’s fin soup at their wedding banquets, and that is great. We’ve received positive responses, but there are still a minority who will say, “I love my shark’s fin” or “I will not give up eating it”.

**** Singapore’s Market-model Healthcare System ****
<http://dartmouthbusinessjournal.com/2012/09/singapores-market-model-healthcare-system/>
Tim Kessler, Dartmouth Business Journal

> American businesses should seriously consider advocating for a Singapore-style market-system, which would radically reduce their costs and improve their ease of doing business. Those interested in an effective market-model healthcare system should stop defending our broken, government-created system, and start carefully examining what actually works.

**** PCF Will Work With Government To Raise Quality Of Pre-schools: PM Lee ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1223524/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah, Channel NewsAsia

> Mr Lee said PCF will also complement the government's effort to build an inclusive government.

**** Reasons For Anonymity On The Internet ..... ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.sg/2012/09/reasons-for-anonymity-on-internet-among.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

> The PAP seems to have problem with this whole concept because it cannot control the informaton, it cannot suppress the competing points of views - we keep hearing complaints from the PAP about the Internet. The same problems they have with democracy. They are running a system that works well only when information can be filtered and ideas flow top down for acceptance by the ordinary citizens....but times have changed and the PAP monopoly of ideas has been eroded by the Internet and they seem to have to great difficulty adjusting and competing....

There are many valid reasons for many people to remain anonymous, and the society should be gracious towards the anonymous.

**** 建汤申地铁线须拆除 珠光大厦业主对“公平”赔偿感担忧 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120902_009.shtml>
孙伟伦, 联合早报