[MyAppleMenu] Oct 4, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 4 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Review ****
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac-creative/reviews/?reviewid=3401927&olo=rss>
Cliff Joseph, Macworld UK

**** Google Adds Street View To iPhone And iPad Web App ****
<http://www.imore.com/google-adds-street-view-its-iphone-and-ipad-web-app-selected-areas>
Chris Oldroyd, IMore

**** Review: Record And Replay Live Radio With TuneIn Radio Pro For iOS ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2011051/review-record-and-replay-live-radio-with-tunein-radio-pro-for-ios.html>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

**** Early iOS 6 Adopters Report Problems Getting Exchange Push Email: Are You Affected? ****
<http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/01/early-ios-6-adopters-report-problems-getting-exchange-push-email/>
Jom Fingas, Engadget

**** The ModBook Returns, Starts At $3,499 ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/10/03/the-modbook-returns-starts-at-3499/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Andrew Kunesh, Macgasm

> The ModBook, a MacBook that is professionally converted into an OS X powered tablet, will be making its return five years after the project was halted.

**** Apple Revising MFi Program To Limit Third-party Lightning Accessories ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/apple-revising-mfi-program-to-limit-third-party-lightning-accessories/>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

> Manufacturers feared that Apple would use licensing rules to restrain the availability of non-Apple Lightning accessories. Now, those fears appear to have been valid. Sources for iLounge have confirmed that Apple has significantly altered its MFi Program rules, limiting the manufacture of Lightning connector accessories to Apple-approved factories. Since no such factories have been approved thus far, accessory makers don't expect to have any accessories available before the busy holiday shopping season.

**** Fun With The OS X Finder And AppleScript ****
<http://www.russellbeattie.com/blog/fun-with-the-os-x-finder-and-applescript>
Russell Beattie

> AppleScript was created by pure psychopaths, who obviously had a deep, deep hatred for humanity and a less than solid grasp of logic and organizational skills. Also, just about everyone who's ever used AppleScript and posted their solutions online is a complete moron. Probably myself included, but here goes.

**** FlyingWindows Keeps Only One Mac App Window In Focus To Help You Concentrate Better ****
<http://www.addictivetips.com/mac-os/flyingwindows-keep-only-one-mac-app-window-in-focus-to-concentrate-better/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Addictivetips+%28AddictiveTips%29>
Fatima, AddictiveTips

**** Mapping A Path Out Of Steve Jobs's Shadow ****
<http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-10-03/mapping-a-path-out-of-steve-jobs-shadow#p1>
Brad Stone, Adam Satariano, and Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek

> Less visibly, Cook has managed the inevitable internal strife as Apple’s execs tried to fill the leadership vacuum. And he’s got the operations side of Apple working better than ever, lining up the company’s suppliers to support the unprecedented scale of the iPhone 5 launch, which is on sale in nearly 30 countries and on track to be available in 100 by the end of 2012.

**** App Store Honour System ****
<http://www.mahdiyusuf.com/post/32803382210/apple-app-store-honour-system?d2fffbe0>
Mahdi Yusjf

> Has Apple built a system that makes it easier to pay for apps then to actually pirate them?

**** How To Connect To A Windows Machine From OS X ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57525118-263/how-to-connect-to-a-windows-machine-from-os-x/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=MacFixIt>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> Apple supports several ways to establish file-sharing connections with Windows PCs.

**** App Search Engine Chomp Shuts Down, But Is Apple Cracking Down On App Discovery Apps? ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/10/03/app-search-engine-chomp-shuts-down-but-is-apple-cracking-down-o/>
Victor Agreda, Jr., TUAW

**** Netbot For iPhone And iPad Review ****
<http://www.imore.com/netbot-iphone-and-ipad-review>
Leanna Lofte, IMore

> Tapbots, the creators of the extremely popular Twitter app Tweetbot, have released Netbot, an iPhone and iPad client for the Twitter-like social network App.net. If you're a fan of Tweetbot, you'll immediately feel at home with Netbot with its identical interface, familiar sounds, and simply outstanding design.

**** Resizing A Boot Camp Partition ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2010978/resizing-a-boot-camp-partition.html>

**** Japan’s New Tech Generation ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/04/technology/a-new-tech-generation-defies-the-odds-in-japan.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Hiroko Tabuchi, New York Times

> As Japan’s aging tech giants like Sony and Panasonic continue to falter, a new generation of Japanese technology entrepreneurs is stepping up. While their numbers are small compared to those in the United States, they are turning to a bevy of start-up incubators and even to financing from Silicon Valley. And so-called start-up dating salons, like the bar in central Tokyo, are helping to match would-be collaborators.

**** Why You’d Be Stupid To Bet Against HTML5 ****
<http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/european-technology/why-youd-be-stupid-to-bet-against-html5/1254>
Nick Heath, TechRepublic

**** A Palestinian Startup Success Story ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/view/429474/a-palestinian-startup-success-story/?ref=rss>
Matthew Kalman, Technology Review

> A popular job-seeking Web app highlights an entrepreneurial groundswell.

**** Creative Blocks ****
<http://www.aeonmagazine.com/being-human/david-deutsch-artificial-intelligence/>
David Deutsch, Aeon

> The very laws of physics imply that artificial intelligence must be possible. What's holding us up?

**** Digital Roots To Dead Trees ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/04/books/robin-sloan-author-and-more-and-his-24-hour-bookstore.html?_r=1>
Jennifer Schuessler, New York Times

> Robin Sloan, a 32-year-old former Twitter manager and self-described “media inventor” from San Francisco, has established himself over the past few years as a notably nimble thinker on the future of digital culture.

> But on Tuesday morning he arrived at the Grolier Club, a redoubt of rare book collectors on East 60th Street in Manhattan, prepared to talk — mostly very quickly — about the joys of old-fashioned paper and ink.

**** Barricades For Wheelchairs ****
<http://wanderfool.blog.com/2012/10/03/barricades-for-wheelchairs/>
Wandering Fool In A Complex Universe

> Dr. Chia was very quick to respond to posts on his FB wall, and also to my emails. I posted on his Facebook in the evening, and by 10:27pm, I’ve received the email from him. Mega kudos to that.

> He has also sent me pictures of the consultation with residents, and like what he said, wheelchairs can get around the barriers.

**** Upgrading Poll Lucky Draw Not Secret: Aljunied-Hougang Town Council ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1229538/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

> The Aljunied-Hougang Town Council, which manages The Workers' Party-held wards of Hougang and Aljunied GRC, said the NRP vote was a consensus-gathering exercise.

> It stressed that it was not a secret ballot and is a common practice among town councils in Singapore.

**** Why You Don't Get Taxis In Singapore When It Rains? ****
<http://www.computerworld.com.sg/resource/applications/why-you-dont-get-taxis-in-singapore-when-it-rains/>
Zafar Anjum, Computerworld

> He learned that the company owning most of the island's taxis would withhold S$1,000 (about US$800) from a driver's salary immediately after an accident until it was determined who was at fault. The process could take months, and the drivers had independently decided that it simply wasn't worth the risk of having their livelihood tangled up in bureaucracy for that long. So when it started raining, they simply pulled over and waited out the storm.

**** Singapore's Orchard Road Underground Megamall Is A Dream — For Now ****
<http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/international/singapores-orchard-road-underground-megamall-is-a-dream-for-now/548200>
Jessica Lim, Straits Times

> It has been just over a month since those guidelines were released. But mall owners have already expressed their reservations in media reports to explain why they are lukewarm to underground malls.

> The same sticking point remains this year as in 2001 or 2004: the high cost of construction and maintenance of these underground links.

**** More Singapore Firms Hire Ex-cons ****
<http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h1B9qfCnUMWlvRyBb_glLsYd2nyA?docId=CNG.2e664a0f77b8d9e6a99fc0d91c0a9b3d.3c1>
AFP

> More Singapore companies are hiring ex-convicts to ease a manpower shortage, a senior government official said, amid restrictions on hiring foreign workers.

> More than 3,100 companies are currently working with the Singapore Corporation of Rehabilitative Enterprises (Score) to hire former prisoners, minister of state Heng Chee How said late Wednesday.

**** Foreign Spouses Not Counted For Foreign Worker Quota/levy? ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/10/foreign-spouses-not-counted-for-foreign-worker-quotalevy/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

> Is this not another loophole for employers to go around the foreign worker quota, dependency ratio and foreign worker levy?

**** Extended Track Closures Possible, Says SMRT Boss ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/extended-track-closures-possible-says-smrt-boss-20121004>
Royston Sim, Straits Times

> The rail operator is still in discussions with the Land Transport Authority on whether this measure is needed, he told reporters during an early morning visit to Commonwealth station.

**** National Conversation Goes On In A Familiar Circle... ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.sg/2012/10/national-conversation-goes-on-in.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

> The unbalanced policies of the PAP has resulted in a 3rd world wage structure in our economy adversely affecting the lives of Singaporeans at all levels. The increase population density also resulted in a cost of living increase that made life tougher for everyone including young graduates.

**** HOME Responds To MOM's Statement ****
<http://publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/786-home-responds-to-moms-statement>
Publichouse.sg