[MyAppleMenu] Oct 3, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 3 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** How To Free Up iCloud Storage Space ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2010911/how-to-free-up-icloud-storage-space.html>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** Apple Suppliers Begin Mass Production On Smaller Tablet ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443635404578033684191275730.html>
Lorraine Luk, Wall Street Journal

> Two of the people said the smaller tablet will have a 7.85-inch liquid-crystal display with a lower resolution compared with the latest iPad model that came out in March.

> South Korea's LG Display Co. and Taiwan's AU Optronics Corp. last month began mass production of the LCD screens for the new device, they said.

**** Notifications Scripting Lets AppleScript Display User Notifications In Mountain Lion ****
<http://www.macstories.net/news/notifications-scripting-lets-applescript-display-user-notifications-in-mountain-lion/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
MacStories

**** Apple Giveth And Apple Taketh Away: Features Users Miss In iOS 6 ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/apple-giveth-and-apple-taketh-away-features-users-miss-in-ios-6/>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

> It turns out there are a number of smaller things that people really liked but can no longer access. There are also a few features that people would've liked to see Apple take just a little further.

Did you know that the previous YouTube app can continue playing videos in the background?

**** Dear Chrome, Slow Your Roll ****
<http://massivegreatness.com/bloated>
MG Siegler, Massive Greatness

> Chrome is gaining too much, well, chrome.

**** Higher Learning Through YouTube ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/video/conversations_with_slate/2012/10/salman_khan_on_the_youtube_lectures_and_teaching_tools_that_power_the_khan_academy_s_mission_to_revolutionize_education_video_.html>
Salman Khan, Slate

**** Live Twitter Feed Appears In Print Ad ****
<http://mashable.com/2012/10/02/twitter-entertainment-weekly-ad/>
Lauren Indvik, Mashable

**** Can The Boston Globe And MIT Hack The Future Of News Together? ****
<http://www.niemanlab.org/2012/10/can-the-boston-globe-and-mit-hack-the-future-of-news-together/>
Justin Ellis, Nieman Journalism Lab

> A Knight Foundation grant will allow the Globe and MIT’s Center for Civic Media to build tools for newsgathering and reader engagement.

**** “Workaholism” Is Real ****
<http://www.salon.com/2012/10/02/workaholism_is_real/>
Chris Wright, Salon

> Many view it as a virtue, or even a joke, but a spate of recent studies suggest it should be taken seriously.

**** Jerry Seinfeld (Really!) Riffs About ... Something ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/03/opinion/jerry-seinfeld-really-riffs-about-something.html?src=twr&_r=1&>
Jerry Seinfeld, New York Times

> Really, Neil? Really? You’re upset about too many people saying, “Really?”? I mean, really.

**** On Foreign Labour And The Income Gap: Acting In Moderation Or Muddling Through? ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/10/03/on-foreign-labour-and-the-income-gap-acting-in-moderation-or-muddling-through/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

> When problems have arisen because in the past an extreme neo-capitalist position had been taken, then we should ask whether, to properly correct the ills that have arisen, we need to be a bit more extreme in the opposite direction, at least for while?

**** Netizens Question Upgrading Lucky Draw ****
<http://www.singapolitics.sg/news/netizens-question-upgrading-lucky-draw>
Tessa Wong, Straits Times

> A lucky draw organised by the Aljunied-Hougang Town Council to thank residents who voted for upgrading has attracted flak online.

> One line of the letter states: “All residents who voted YES in the NRP polling exercise are automatically included in the draw.” Netizens latched on this line, with some questioning why the ballot was not secret, while others asked why residents who turned down NRP were being left out.

**** With Limited Land, Build Community Care Hubs ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC121003-0000138/With-limited-land,-build-community-care-hubs>
Marcus Tan, Today

> With more facilities being planned for the elderly, the government should consider building an integrated community care hub, comprising a nursing home, Senior Care Centre and Senior Activity Centre, in selected constituencies.

And stick a hawker centre (not a food court) and a wet market in the basement.

**** Straw Men And Paradigms: A Response To Alex Au’s Recent Article ****
<http://sonofadud.com/2012/10/03/straw-men-and-paradigms-a-response-to-alex-aus-recent-article/>
Kenneth Jeyaretnam, Rethinking The Rice Bowl

**** 不同经历与接触 新加坡中国留学生互看彼此差异 ****
<http://chinese.people.com.cn/n/2012/1001/c42309-19162638.html>
中国新闻网

**** Singapore Faces Balancing Act As Home Prices Climb ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444592404578030484250641830.html>
Chun Han Wong, Wall Street Journal

> Boosted by growing foreign demand, private-home prices in Singapore have climbed 56% since the second quarter of 2009. Foreigners made up about 31% of all home buyers here in 2011, double from a decade ago, according to property consultancy Savills.

**** Facing A Space Squeeze, Singapore Looks North ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443507204578020912848106062.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
Shibani Mahtani, Wall Street Journal

> Conceived by Malaysian sovereign-wealth fund Khazanah Nasional Bhd. in 2005, Iskandar struggled at first to attract interest, partly because of a lack of infrastructure and still-empty land. Another problem was that some Singaporean officials weren't sure whether to support the project, which they feared would compete with Singapore's giant port and export-oriented industries.

> That started to change as it became clearer that Singapore was bumping up against its growth limits. A large percentage of the city-state's land mass now is covered with buildings, malls and other developments, and high labor and land costs have forced export industries to expand elsewhere. Steering some investment to the Johor area would at least help make sure business stayed in the region, with some of the jobs and support services potentially landing in Singapore.

**** Singapore: May Peace Be Upon You ****
<http://thehearttruths.com/2012/10/01/singapore-may-peace-be-upon-you/>
The Heart Truths

**** Residents—and Some Developers—Push For Preservation ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443507204578020920007985656.html>
Shibani Mahtani, Wall Street Journal

> The gentrification of Tiong Bahru is helping show the economic value of historic structures in a part of the world where efforts to preserve the past often fall on deaf ears. Although Singaporean leaders have saved more of the city-state's colonial core than many other Asian cities such as Bangkok or Jakarta—including historic shophouses in designated areas such as Chinatown and Little India—conservationists have long argued that other important sites and residential areas have been torn down or upgraded without concern for history.

The tearing down of the National Library is one of the stupidest decision the PAP government made with respect to conservations in recent years.

**** Singapore’s Central Bank Caught Between A Rock And A Hard Place ****
<http://www.cnbc.com/id/49267567>
Dhara Ranasinghe, CNBC

> Talk that Singapore’s monetary policy will be eased soon is growing louder as the economy teeters on the brink of recession. Yet, high inflation puts the country’s central bank in a bind and its next policy move is by no means a done deal, economists say.

**** Chart Of The Day: Singapore Inflation Higher Than Asia's Average ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/chart-day-singapore-inflation-higher-asias-average>
Singapore Business Review

**** Why Chiam's Old MPS Spot Was Chosen ****
<http://www.singapolitics.sg/news/why-chiams-old-mps-spot-was-chosen-updated>
Tessa Wong, Straits Times

> Potong Pasir MP Sitoh Yih Pin has clarified that it was not his decision to convert his predecessor Chiam See Tong’s meet-the-people spot to a wellness centre for senior citizens.

**** Buyers Of Shoebox Units May Be Hit With A Double Whammy, Warns Savills ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/residential-property/news/buyers-shoebox-units-may-be-hit-double-whammy-warns-savills>
Singapore Business Review

> "The market may be hit with a double whammy as the government continues to tighten Foreign Employment Policies and some international buyers return to the US and Europe after their economies show an improvement."

**** Sylvia Lim In Opposition Praising Singapore Economy Seeks Change ****
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-02/sylvia-lim-in-opposition-praising-singapore-economy-seeks-change.html>
Shamim Adam And Sharon Chen, Bloomberg

> “I’m quite clear that if we want to contribute towards substantive reform in a certain policy area, we don’t necessarily take the confrontational route,” Lim, who practices a martial art called wing chun, said in an interview in her office in June. “If you feel you really want to achieve some policy change, you have to use various ways of getting there.”

**** School Fees From 2013 ****
<http://blogging4myself.blogspot.sg/2012/10/school-fees-from-2013.html>
Blogging For Myself

> This simply reminded me of the time we were in NUS. They made us picked up the cheque from the government and then visit the Bursar's office to pay our school fees. Just in case we do not know how much we have been subsidized.

**** Kinokuniya Plans Heartland Store In Jurong East ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/kinokuniya-plans-heartland-store-jurong-east-20121002>
Akshita Nanda, Straits Times

> This will be Books Kinokuniya's first new outlet in 10 years and its first out of the city centre. There are no plans as yet for further expansion into heartland areas, according to a spokesman.

**** Cap The Cab Crap! ****
<http://lohandbehold.com/2012/10/03/cap-the-cab-crap/>
Loh ANd Behold

**** Build Barriers To Obstruct The Handicapped? ****
<http://gintai.wordpress.com/2012/10/03/barriers-to-obstruct-the-handicapped/>
Gintai_昇泰

**** What Every Singaporean Should Watch Out For After The Technical Recession ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/what-every-singaporean-should-watch-out-after-technical-recession>
Singapore Business Review

> "Earlier hikes in foreign workers’ levies could be unwound should economic conditions deteriorate further. This would provide some breathing space for companies struggling with high labour cost and falling revenue."

**** New Flat Prices: Getting It Right ****
<http://www.singapolitics.sg/views/new-flat-prices-getting-it-right>
Colin Tan, Straits Times

> If we treat public housing as a predominantly public good then the correct approach would be to look at the income profile of the intended market and price the new flats accordingly after taking into account a reasonable loan period and a sustainable rate of interest.

> I believe there is no need to worry unduly about the endowment aspect of public housing when there is economic growth and social progress in the country. It will come naturally.

**** 18 Ways To Reduce The Income Gap ****
<http://www.onesingapore.org/news/18-ways-to-reduce-the-income-gap/>
Leong Sze Hian, One Singapore

**** Each Town Council Different, But Raise Charges Together? ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/10/each-town-council-different-but-raise-charges-together/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

> For example, Tampines town council had an operating surplus of $3.51 million in the financial year 2010/2011, surplus for the financial year of $6.9 million and an accumulated surplus of $8.4 million.

> With the above healthy financial numbers, is there really a need for Tampines to raise charges now?

**** VWO To Occupy Void Deck Used By Chiam See Tong ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1229171/1/.html>
Kimberly Spykerman, Channel NewsAsia