[MyAppleMenu] Oct 5, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 5 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Best Ways To Listen To Podcasts In iOS 6 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2010901/best-ways-to-listen-to-podcasts-in-ios-6.html>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> Here’s a look at how you can work with the iOS Podcasts app, but also how you can work without it, if you’d prefer going back to the old method.

**** Crazy Talk 7 Review ****
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/reviews/?reviewid=3402148&olo=rss>
Rob Beattie, Macworld UK

> Crazy Talk is an inexpensive way to create animated talking heads – either for fun or to use as narrators in videos and presentations.

**** Apple Acknowledges Anniversary Of Jobs's Death With Video Tribute ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/10/05/apple-acknowledges-anniversary-of-jobss-death-with-video-tribut/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

> The tribute ends with a brief letter from Tim Cook, who asks us all to "reflect on his [Jobs's] extraordinary life and the many ways he made the world a better place."

**** Map Apps To Bypass The Rivalry Of Google And Apple ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/04/technology/personaltech/navigon-and-waze-map-apps-to-bypass-apple-and-google-review.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Kit Eaton, New York Times

**** Apple Releases Supplemental Update 1.0 For Mountain Lion 10.8.2 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2011213/apple-releases-supplemental-update-1-0-for-mountain-lion-10-8-2.html>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> Apple recommends it for all users of Mountain Lion, and says it addresses three bugs: an issue with Japanese characters in Mail, a problem with Safari accessing secure sites when Parental Controls are enabled, and an issue that could prevent Macs with more than 64GB of RAM from booting up properly.

**** Is Apple Maps Really Less Of A Data Hog Than Google Maps? ****
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/news/?newsid=3402039&olo=rss>
Karen Haslam, Macworld UK

> However, when we started searching further-a-field things got a bit more data heavy on iOS 6 Maps. When we asked for directions from Paris to London iOS 5 came out trumps, sending 27KB and receiving 788KB, compared to iOS 6 which sent 45KB, received 907KB. It was worse from London to Paris: iOS 5 sent 45KB and received 1.7MB, while iOS 6 sent 121KB, received 1.9MB.

**** Use Wi-Fi Diagnostics To Find Active Bonjour Services In OS X ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57526060-263/use-wi-fi-diagnostics-to-find-active-bonjour-services-in-os-x/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=MacFixIt>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** The Mac-like Way To Keep App Windows Where They Belong On Your Screen ****
<http://teratalks.com/2012/10/the-mac-like-way-to-keep-app-windows-where-they-belong-on-your-screen/>
Tera Thomas O'Brien, Tera Talks

> To keep app windows both in their place and at exactly the right size for maximum efficiency and peace of mind, I use Moom. This handy Mac-like app (which means it’s so good that Apple should do in OS X what Moom does) pins app windows into specific locations on the screen.

**** The Second Least Expensive Way To Manage Mac App Windows Is Also The Best Way ****
<http://noodlemac.com/2012/10/the-second-least-expensive-way-to-manage-mac-app-windows-is-also-the-best-way/>
Noodlemac

> Fullscreen mode in OS X helps to relieve some of the window clutter, but makes it impossible to bounce from one app window to another. For that you need a Window Magnet.

**** Teaching My 5 Year Old Daughter To Code… ****
<http://www.in-the-attic.co.uk/2012/10/04/teaching-my-5-year-old-daughter-to-code/>
In The Attic

**** UK Considers Facebook Logins For Access To Public Services ****
<http://www.zdnet.com/uk-considers-facebook-logins-for-access-to-public-services-7000005234/>
David Meyer, ZDNet

> Social networking meets social security, as the Cabinet Office reveals it is considering Facebook as one of the firms whose login process can be used to get access to government services such as applying for a driver's licence.

**** Shotgun Wedding Suburban Jungle ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/books/review/shotgun-wedding-suburban-jungle.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Sylvia Brownrigg, New York Times

> Then Zeidner’s opening sentences — “The bride did not wear white. But the terrorist did” — throw us off course, as without further ceremony, we are plunged, like the unsuspecting guests, into a startling, near-surreal hostage situation.

**** War Between The Sexes ****
<http://www.the-tls.co.uk/tls/public/article1139342.ece>
Michele Pridmore-Brown, The Times Literary Supplement

> Game theory enables evolutionary biologists and economists such as Seabright to think of the so-called war of the sexes as a strategic game.

**** Decision To Take Over Old MPS Spot May Get Airing In Parliament ****
<http://www.singapolitics.sg/news/decision-take-over-old-mps-spot-may-get-airing-parliament>
Straits Times

> From its Facebook post, the SPP clearly feels Mr Sitoh could have done more. It wrote: "What is the real power of an MP? Does he really have no say in approving where VWO premises are to be located in his own estate?"

The power to prevent a VWO from setting up shop at a particular void deck will also gives the power to prevent an opposition party from setting up shop at a particular void deck.

**** Singapore Takes New Steps To Cool Housing Market ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1229731/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> The new rules impose an absolute limit of 35 years on the tenure of all loans for residential property. This will apply to loans to both individual and non-individual borrowers, as well as refinancing loans.

**** Minister Intervenes In Bid To Let Dying Man Keep His Dogs ****
<http://www.singapolitics.sg/news/minister-intervenes-bid-let-dying-man-keep-his-dogs>
Straits Times

> The aim is to get Mr Tan’s neighbour to withdraw the complaint.

**** How Should The Singapore Government Govern? ****
<http://thehearttruths.com/2012/10/05/how-should-the-singapore-government-govern/>
The Heart Truths

**** Singapore Stuck As Hong Kong Keeps Rising In World Airport Rankings ****
<http://sbr.com.sg/aviation/in-focus/singapore-stuck-hong-kong-keeps-rising-in-world-airport-rankings>
Singapore Business Review

> Singapore's departure airport saw only 62.16% on-time flights, or flights with less than 15 minutes delay, according to the September 2012 Top 30 Aiport Departure Performance report from FlightStats.

**** Challenges And Hopes Of A Nation ****
<http://yoursdp.org/news/2012-10-04-5387>
Chee Soon Juan, Singaore Democratic Party

> Whether change materializes will depend on how effectively Singapore’s political opposition and civil society work together. How the government reacts will determine the price of that change.

**** It Is Criminal To Force Our Young Into Huge Debt ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.sg/2012/10/it-is-criminal-to-force-our-young-into.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+MySingaporeNews+(My+Singapore+News)>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** Singapore's Economy Is Maxed Out ****
<http://seekingalpha.com/article/905081-singapore-s-economy-is-maxed-out>
Jason Tillberg, Seeking Alpha

> It looks to me like Singapore is mightily close to what Japan was in 1990 and could be in for decades of lower total aggregate hours worked, which will mean very low GDP growth that will mostly come from gains in productivity.

> This may well pose a risk to investments in Singapore's stock markets.

**** My CPF – Who Decide? You Or Me? ****
<http://gintai.wordpress.com/2012/10/05/my-own-cpf-money-who-decide-you-or-me/>
Gintai_昇泰

**** A Plug For Team PAP ****
<http://www.myapplemenu.comhttps://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/10/05/a-plug-for-team-pap/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** A Taiwanese Opinion On Singapore For Foreign Startups ****
<http://e27.sg/2012/10/03/a-taiwanese-opinion-on-singapore-for-foreign-startups/>
Jacky Yap, e27

> Singapore is great for startups, provided you are a Singaporean/PR.

**** The Sorry State Of Politics In Singapore ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/10/the-sorry-state-of-politics-in-singapore/>
Steph Law, The Online Citizen

**** Losing The Democratic Soul ****