[MyAppleMenu] May 12, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat May 12 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Pocket Gets Update And A Whole Lotta Downloads ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/05/11/pocket-gets-update-and-a-whole-lotta-downloads/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

**** iOS Low-Hanging Fruit ****
<http://daringfireball.net/2012/05/ios_low_hanging_fruit>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> This is a high-pressure switch for Apple. Regressions will not be acceptable. The purported whiz-bang 3D view stuff might be great, but users are going to have pitchforks and torches in hand if practical stuff like driving and walking directions are less accurate than they were with Google’s data. Keep in mind too, that Android phones ship with turn-by-turn navigation.

**** iOS 6: Apple Drops Google Maps, Debuts In-house ‘Maps’ With Incredible 3D Mode ****
<http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/11/ios-6-apple-drops-google-maps-debuts-in-house-maps-with-incredible-3d-mode/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

> The most important aspect of the new Maps application is a powerful new 3D mode. The 3D mode does not come enabled by default, but users simply need to click a 3D button that is conveniently and visibly stored in the app. Perhaps under the fold like the current traffic, pin, and map view buttons. This 3D mode is said to essentially be technology straight from C3 Technologies: beautiful, realisitic graphics based on de-classified missile target algorithms.

**** Is Apple So Great If You're Outside The US? ****
<http://money.aol.co.uk/2012/05/11/is-apple-so-great-if-youre-outside-the-us/>
Guy Clapperton, Aol

**** How To Get A New Desktop Picture On Your Mac Every Day ****
<http://noodlemac.com/2012/05/how-to-get-a-new-desktop-picture-on-your-mac-every-day/>
Ron McElfresh, NoodleMac

**** My Own Private Internet: .Secure TLD Floated As Bad-guy-free Zone ****
<http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/05/my-own-private-internet-secure-tld-floated-as-bad-guy-free-zone/>
Dan Goodin, Ars Technica

**** Too Rich To Queue? Why Markets And Morals Don't Fit ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/may/11/too-rich-to-queue>
Michael Sandel, The Guardian

> Why worry that we are moving towards a society in which everything is up for sale? For two reasons: one is about inequality; the other is about corruption. In a society where everything is for sale, life is harder for those of modest means. The more money can buy, the more affluence (or the lack of it) matters. But also, putting a price on the good things in life can corrupt them. Paying children to read books might get them to read more, but it might also teach them to regard reading as a chore rather than a source of intrinsic satisfaction. Sometimes, market values crowd out nonmarket values worth caring about.

**** The Writer In The Family ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/books/review/the-writer-in-the-family.html?_r=1&gwh=33F7DE01C492509DBC0DF191B34AF8EF>
Roger Rosenblatt, New York Times

> So there I stood at the front of my granddaughter Jessica’s fourth-grade classroom, still as a glazed dog, while Jessie introduced me to her classmates, to whom I was about to speak. “This is my grandfather, Boppo,” she said, invoking my grandpaternal nickname. “He lives in the basement and does nothing.”

**** Still ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/may/11/still-dennis-o-driscoll-saturday-poem?CMP=twt_gu>
Dennis O'Driscoll, The Guardian

**** Can Singapore Serve As Economic Model For North Korea? ****
<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/et-cetera/can-singapore-serve-as-economic-model-for-north-korea/articleshow/13108436.cms>
The Economic Times

> Less than two weeks after being punished with new UN sanctions, North Korea has sent its ceremonial head of state and two top economic officials to Singapore and Indonesia on a trip that appears aimed at drumming up outside investment.

**** Rights And Leverage ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/05/12/rights-and-leverage/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

> My argument is this: Before we even dream of getting any progress on issues important to us, including bread and butter issues, we must attend to a key weakness: civil and political rights. Without them, we have no leverage. Without leverage, we get no more than glacial progress.

**** Misleading Reports By Straits Times And Today ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/590-misleading-reports-by-straits-times-and-today>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

> The 2 reports, however, have left out the conditions upon which Ms Vellama will consider withdrawing her application, which Mr Ravi’s letter to the AGC had stated.

**** The SMRT Fiasco - Identifying The Root Causes? ****
<http://gigomole.blogspot.com/2012/05/smrt-fiasco-identifying-root-causes.html>
The Gigamole Diaries

**** Don't Insult Hougang ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2012/05/dont-insult-hougang.html>
Singapore Notes

> Hougang is living proof that Singaporeans can carry on without the presence of the bully boys. Its 37,407 residents go to work, raise children, take care of their elders and serve NS, all without having to bow and scrape to the white attired. Sure they had to walk the extra kilometer, heads held high, after their wet market was bulldozed to the ground, but their families need not starve.

**** Divining Sentiments One Year On ****
<http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2012/5/12/columnists/insightdownsouth/11270907&sec=insightdownsouth>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

> Lee has repeatedly promised to give priority to Singaporeans over foreigners in employment and “all other policies”.

> Public reaction to all these has been mixed. Lee is given good marks for a more open engagement with critics. There has been a greater degree of reaching out to them.

> None, however, believes that the PAP has transformed itself into a new party or has abandoned its fundamental principles.

**** Southeast Asian Leaders Earn Highest Job Approval In Asia ****
<http://www.gallup.com/poll/154625/Southeast-Asian-Leaders-Earn-Highest-Job-Approval-Asia.aspx>
Gallup

> Singapore's Lee Hsien Loong has maintained relatively high approval ratings compared with ratings that other leaders around the world received in 2011. However, gradually declining approval ratings for Lee's People's Action Party may be contributing to the decline in his own rating.

**** Medicine Is Not An Exact Science ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_797799.html>
Anandan Gerard Thiagarajah, Straits Times

> The point is that a doctor cannot always exclude minor illness in a patient with no obvious signs. Hence, most of the time, we give patients the benefit of the doubt and issue medical certificates for them to rest, and advise them to come back for a review if their symptoms worsen.

> Imagine how much shorter the queues at polyclinics and accident and emergency departments would be if such patients could just call in sick and stay at home.

> Patients with serious illnesses or a genuine need for a consultation would benefit by being seen earlier by the doctor.

Only idiots demand for a 100% fool-proof system to catch anyone who feint illness to get a day off at the expense to everyone else.

**** Baffled By Award For Teacher Who Went On Trip While Wife Was Dying ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_797940.html>
Mark Gregory Rozells, Straits Times

**** Sorry, We Should Have Accepted Application: Income ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_797954.html>
Tan Suee Chieh, Straits Times

> This was a mistake and I am sorry it happened. Based on our investigation yesterday morning, we would have accepted the case, as we have always done for such children.

Actions speak louder than words. Note that no where in Mr Tan's letter did he mention how many other similar cases NTUC Income have accepted.

**** Uncertified Sick Leave? Workers Already Have Too Much Leave ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_797943.html>
Cheng Shoong Tat, Straits Times

> Uncertified sick leave, if allowed, will simply become yet another category of leave to 'clear'.

Already, one can easily get a M.C. for less than $30. (Even less if one is willing to go line up at the polyclinics.)
On the other hand, demanding M.C. from doctors for genuine cases only burdens the worker if sickness is minor. The result: wastage of money. Either that, or the worker reports to work as usual and spread flu and other germs all around so that more people get to waste more money to get that little piece of paper.

**** We Pay Fairly, Competitively: NTUC ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_797955.html>
Rebecca Teo, NTUC FairPrice Co-operative, Straits Times

> As part of the labour movement, NTUC Social Enterprises pay fair and competitive wages to staff.

**** 曾国原或有意参选 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120512_008.shtml>
联合早报

> 20多年前代表工人党参选的退休针灸师曾国原(58岁)或有意参加后港补选。

> 曾国原曾经是工人党候选人,1991年竞选武吉知马区国会议席落败,得票率是25.7%。去年五月大选时,他一度表示有意出战蒙巴登,但却在提名日当天,在提名站里突然怒喊,跟着撕毁声称装有提名表格的信封,以示对选举制度的抗议。

**** Reverse Parking ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Commentary/EDC120512-0000006/Reverse-parking>
Paul Rae, Today

**** Eduardo Saverin Renounces US Citizenship Ahead Of Facebook IPO ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/us-news-blog/2012/may/11/facebook-eduardo-saverin-us-cirizenship>
Tom McCarthy, The Guardian

> Facebook co-founder who owns 4% of company to become legal resident of Singapore – dodging a major US tax bill.

**** The Mandatory Death Penalty: A Blinkered Policy ****
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kirsten-han/mandatory-death-penalty-singapore_b_1509588.html>
Kirsten Han, Huffington Post