[MyAppleMenu] May 11, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 11 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Apple Starts Re-approving Dropbox-connected Apps After SDK Amendment ****
<http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/05/11/apple-starts-re-approving-dropbox-connected-apps-after-sdk-amendment/>
Matt Brian, The Next Web

> Having originally been rejected for inclusion in Apple’s App Store, Dropbox-centric camera app Cambox was today approved by Apple, signifying that Dropbox’s amended SDK has appeased Apple’s App Store approval teams.

**** Which iPad Is Better? ****
<http://scripting.com/stories/2012/05/11/whichIpadIsBetter.html>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

> The other day, with the battery running down, I had an idea. I charged up my old iPad, so it would serve as a backup, next time the battery ran down on the new iPad. And the next day I got to use it, and here's the thing -- I like it better than the new one! It's lighter, the battery lasts longer, and when it runs down it charges much more quickly. Having gotten used to the new iPad, the old one feels like an upgrade!

**** FileMaker Pro 12 Review ****
<http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/filemaker_pro_12_review>
Grenville Doughty, Mac Life

**** Time Machine: Perhaps The Worst Interface Apple Has Ever Made ****
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/2012/05/10/time-machine-perhaps-the-worst-interface-apple-has-ever-made/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> This gadgety interface which is very hard to navigate makes for nice eye candy, but it is the least user-friendly interface of any feature in OS X.

**** Adobe Lightroom Makes An Appearance On The App Store ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/05/10/adobe-lightroom-makes-an-appearance-on-the-app-store/>
Joshua Schnell, Macgasm

**** Ebooks: Is Digital Opening Up A New Chapter For Publishing? ****
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17961137>
Tim Harford, BBC

> With ebook sales on the rise, how is the publishing industry embracing the world of digital?

**** Tailey, Twirley, Loopey ****
<http://www.tnr.com/book/review/language-wars-history-proper-english-henry-hitchings>
Laura Marsh, The New Republic

> Yet Hitchings’s new book points out all of the ideological pitfalls of debating language use, and he takes pains to avoid falling into them himself. Where Bunce’s aspirational Victorian readers wanted to learn to speak “proper English,” Hitchings’s presumably want to know what their attitude to “proper English” should be.

**** At CityZen, Chefs Cook Up Sweet Moves ****
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/at-cityzen-chefs-cook-up-sweet-moves/2012/05/09/gIQAcRPWDU_story.html>
Sarah Kaufman, Washington Post

> Those reality-TV chef shows may have you thinking that professional cooking is all about crazy creativity with vinegars and organ meats. Or that it’s a matter of egos, screaming and jungle treks in search of Amazonian rodents. But that’s the show-biz side, the exotic R&D.

> What matters in a pro kitchen: instant reaction, mindless repetition and crisp, efficient maneuvers. Restaurants run on the French “kitchen brigade” system, modeled after a military hierarchy more than a century ago. There’s the chef, a couple of lieutenants (the sous-chefs), and a platoon of line cooks —the kitchen infantry — manning stations assigned by menu category: appetizers, fish, meat and so on.

**** We Are All Marxists ****
<http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/we-are-all-marxists/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

> This is not an anniversary for 2,460 people. It is a sombre anniversary for all Singaporeans, because the shadow of the Internal Security Act envelopes everyone. As a society we have been impoverished by it. As individuals we have been cowed and castrated.

**** Hougang Resident Withdraws By-election Order Bid ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_797782.html>
Leslie Koh, Straits Times

> A Hougang resident is withdrawing her bid to get the courts to order the Prime Minister to hold a by-election within three months, citing 'dramatic developments of the last 48 hours'.

**** Crowds At Jurong East MRT Need An Alternative ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120511-0000171/Crowds-at-Jurong-East-MRT-need-an-alternative>
Benny Tan, Today

> It is a pain to take the train from Bukit Batok to Raffles Place. I had to wait recently for three trains at Bukit Batok and for five trains at Jurong East. And there were no train problems that morning.

**** NSF Dies After Jeep Incident; Army Field Training Suspended ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1200705/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** No Incumbent, So Hougang Residents Free To Vote: DPM Teo ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1200702/1/.html>
Valarie Tan, Channel NewsAsia

> Mr Teo said: "The voters in Hougang should feel quite free to vote now. Because there's no incumbent, both of them have left. And so I think it's an opportunity now for the Hougang residents to vote in the candidate who they think will be able to serve them best with integrity, commitment and sincerity."

And residents in GRCs will always not be able to vote freely, because there's always an iincumbent?

**** Open Letter Re: “Singapore Uncensored And Censorship” ****
<http://kentridgecommon.com/?p=15095>
The Kent Ridge Common

**** SBS Transit's First Quarter Net Profit Plunges 59.2% ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_797769.html>
Yunita Ong, Straits Times

**** SMRT Top Management Defends Maintenance Regime At COI ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1200673/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah, Channel NewsAsia

> Taking the stand on Friday were the company's chairman Koh Yong Guan and interim CEO Tan Ek Kia. Mr Koh said the board had not found it necessary to tell SMRT to review its maintenance procedures.

> Mr Koh pointed out that maintenance costs have been kept low given the ageing MRT line.

**** MediaCorp Launches Online Bookstore ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1200669/1/.html>
Adeline Tan, Channel NewsAsia

**** The SMRT Monster-under-the-bed Is Emerging...... ****
<http://gigomole.blogspot.com/2012/05/smrt-monster-under-bed-is-emerging.html>
The Gigamole Diaries

> The sickness comes from the government's fixation on high GDP growth at the expense of everything else. Anything of worth is Singapore is denominated in dollar terms. The SMRT and the transport sector are not the only places where there are grossly misplaced missions.

**** Longkang Encounters ****
<http://poskod.sg/Posts/2012/5/11/Longkang-Encounters>
Lishan Chan & Gan Yu Neng, Poskod.sg

**** MRT Stations To Install Signs To Guide Commuters During Disruptions ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1200612/1/.html>
Hanna Begam, Channel NewsAsia

> The signs will be tried out in a pilot project at City Hall and Chinatown stations between June and August.

**** Lack Of Appropriate Housing And Space Another Reason For Recent Fires ****
<http://www.raviphilemon.net/2012/05/lack-of-appropriate-housing-and-space.html>
Ravi Philemon

> Leaving bulky items at lift lobbies and common spaces may not be the only cause of the recent fires. Lack of appropriate housing and space for Singaporeans - especially Singaporeans with lower income - may also be a reason.

**** Weighing In For The Big Fight ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2012/05/weighing-in-for-big-fight.html>
Singapore Notes

> Choo's just another of those sheltered scholar types - his day job is an appointment at NTUC, for pete's sake - who's so insulated from the ground that he thinks he can save Hougang single handedly. He claims he has refused help from party big wigs, while sitting flanked by the finance minister and the minister of education.

**** SMRT Mgt Failures: What Does It Say Abt SAF? ****
<http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/smrt-mgt-failures-what-does-it-say-abt-saf/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** Singapore Armed Forces Versus Cynics And Critics In The Halcyon Days Of Peace ****
<http://kementah.blogspot.com/2012/05/singapore-armed-forces-versus-cynics.html>
David Boey, Senang Diri

**** SingTel Admits Its Wireless Is Slow, Vows Changes ****
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/10/uk-singtel-wireless-idUSLNE84901J20120510>
Leonard How, Reuters

> Despite being a major Asian business centre with a tech-savvy image, Singapore is among the countries with the slowest mobile Internet speeds, according to checks by Google.

**** 90% Of Unemployed Residents Are Singaporeans? ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/05/90-of-unemployed-residents-are-singaporeans/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** Born With One Kidney: Income Rejected, Great Eastern Accepted ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_797554.html>
Lim Siew Kim, Straits Times

> I recall NTUC Income chief executive Tan Suee Chieh's spirited reply to Mr Aaron Lee espousing NTUC Income's noble mission: 'We seek to maximise good and not profits'.

> I suppose my daughter was one of the exceptions to NTUC Income's noblesse oblige.

**** 尚达曼: 后港区补选法庭案件 不影响何时补选决定 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120511_013.shtml>
联合早报

**** Holidays On Saturdays: Workers Entitled To A Day Off ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120511-0000052/Holidays-on-Saturdays-Workers-entitled-to-a-day-off>
Farah Abdul Rahim, Ministry of Manpower, Today

> For employees who are not required to work on Saturdays, they are entitled to claim a day off or compensation in lieu for that public holiday, if they are covered under the Employment Act.

> It is not up to the employer's discretion or goodwill to grant a day off in lieu under the law.

The following employees are not covered: a. seaman, b. domestic worker, c. person employed in a managerial or an executive position.

**** No Surprises, But Sparks Fly ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120511-0000041/No-surprises,-but-sparks-fly>
Tan Weizhen And Lin Yanqin, Today

> Asked to respond to Mr Low's remarks on Wednesday that the WP has not "shortchanged" the Hougang residents, despite the sacking of Mr Yaw, Mr Tharman noted: "Mr Low is clearly confident, I would say ultra confident, having held Hougang for 20 years but we shouldn't trivialise the election process."

> At a press conference a few hours later, Mr Low said Mr Tharman was "wrong" to think that. He said: "We take elections very seriously. The reason why we had to take this drastic step to expel Yaw Shin Leong, I think I explained earlier, it has actually a broader perspective to that, because Yaw was an MP, not just a member of the party, and we believe that it's important for Parliament to have responsible MPs."

> Mr Low added: "In any case, the by-election also shows how a democratic system should work, and (Yaw's sacking) shows that the WP has a political will to put things right. On the contrary, we take it seriously and we are working the system well."

**** A Listener Who Wants To Serve ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120511-0000076/A-listener-who-wants-to-serve>
Woo Sian Boon, Today

> "I'd like to look at local issues and local needs. Simple things like putting in more bins, more seats (in the void decks). We have to listen to the residents' problems, and see whether or how we can resolve them."

**** 'I'm Here For The Long-term' ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120511-0000075/Im-here-for-the-long-term>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

> Said Mr Choo: "When it comes to serving the residents, it is not just the 10 days of campaigning, it is about work and whether you deliver a difference on a daily basis - that is the more important part to focus on. Our plan has always been a long-term one."

**** Pri 1 Maths Syllabus To Be Tweaked From Next Year ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120511-0000044/Pri-1-maths-syllabus-to-be-tweaked-from-next-year>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

> Pupils entering primary school next year will be given more breathing room to grasp basic numeracy skills with the Ministry of Education (MOE) planning to drop part of the Primary 1 mathematics syllabus as part of its regular curriculum review.

> For instance, Primary 1 students will no longer learn about measuring and comparing objects' physical mass through the use of non-standard units like paper clips and apples. They will also not be taught about 3D shapes.

Measuring things using coins and paper clips was fun. Number bonds, on the other hand, bought tears to my daughter when she was in Primary One. :)

**** Not In My Backyard ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120511-0000083/Not-in-my-backyard>
Amanda Lee, Today

> While residents said last night they "do not object to having a daily rehabilitation centre", some felt it would be better to have a more "sustainable place" when constructing the centre, thereby saving time and money.

> Some residents also raised other concerns, such as how the expansion would take away the void deck space for their children to play and traffic congestion in the area.

I hope we look past the not-in-my-backyard issue and figure out the issue of livable space -- which does not only include all the rooms (and the air-con ledge) inside our flats, but also the surrounding spaces, nature, and void decks.

**** Remind Yrself, Not Us PM ****
<http://atans1.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/remind-yrself-not-us-pm/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

> What if his (and the PAP’s) ”national priorities and building an inclusive Singapore” are different from us “lesser mortals”? He wants faster economic growth via becoming a low-cost producer as “national priorities”, while “building an inclusive Singapore” means treating FTs better than locals?

**** Hougang BE: On The Drumbeat To The Hustings ****
<http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7582>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

> His statement that “Nothing is done for the purpose of the election” cuts no ice and is patronizing to politically astute Singaporeans.

**** Look, Who Is Throwing Stones… ****
<http://thetwophilo.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/look-who-is-throwing-stones/>
Thetwophilo's Blog

> Naïve voters could be lured into the belief that the leopard is finally changing its spots. But these are really still early days. What Lee mentioned about the schemes to help needy Singaporeans are long long overdue and had never before been intended to figure on his govt’s radar screen until the GE2011 wake up call. Therefore, at this point I would say it would be foolish not to wait and see if the new found ‘humanity’ of the govt is not a classic ploy of the devil citing scripture for its own purpose.

**** Hougang Will Go Forth And Huat . . . Ah! ****
<http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2012/05/hougang-will-go-forth-and-huat-ah.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

> While the PAP is doing its best to denigrate WP for its lack of scrutiny in selecting YSL as a candidate, it behoves Tharman and his arrogant boss to revisit Desmond Choo's uncle, Choo Wee Khiang before he tries to sully the integrity of the Workers' Party.

**** WP Press Conference – A Background Look ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/586-wp-press-conference-–-a-background-look>
Publichouse.sg

> Here’s a little tip when asking questions of Mr Low – never ask him speculative questions.

> Why give answers to speculative or hypothetical questions, right? You could get yourself into unnecessary knots. All politicians should learn this from Mr Low, a response which he also used in the general elections last year to similar questions from the media.

**** The Yaw Factor ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2012/05/yaw-factor.html>
Singapore Notes