[MyAppleMenu] Mar 18, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Mar 18 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Apple Firestorm Leads Artist To Change His Show ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article/AP3bfbce2dd9674d55a106a80cb97a1682.html>
Associated Press

> Mike Daisey, the off-Broadway performer who admitted that he made up parts of his one-man show about Apple products being made in Chinese sweatshops, has cut questionable sections from the monologue and added a prologue explaining the controversy.

> An Apple spokeswoman declined again Saturday to comment on the revelations about the monologue. The company has been rebutting Daisey's allegations for months, to little effect.

**** Council Holds Meeting On Apple's Expansion Proposal ****
<http://www.kvue.com/home/City-council-holds-special-meeting-on-Apples-new-expansion-proposal-142753775.html>
Jade Mingus, KVUE

> The Austin City Council discussed new details about Apple's proposal to bring thousands of new jobs to the Austin area. The expansion promises to bring an economic boost-- the City of Austin is debating whether to offer an incentive.

**** New Apple TV Constantly Dropping Network Connections ****
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/2012/03/18/new-apple-tv-constantly-dropping-network-connections/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

**** Apps For Runners ****
<http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/apps-for-runners-20120315-1v7w0.html>
Bob Tedeschi, Sydney Morning Herald

**** Apple's iPad: First Day Impressions ****
<http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-day-one-impressions-of-new-apple-ipad-20120317,0,1728685.story>
Nathan Olivaez-Giles, Los Angeles Times

> Apps launch faster, websites load quicker and the camera actually takes good looking pictures this time around thanks to a 5-megapixel rear shooter.

> But there is no question that the best feature found in the new iPad is its display. With a resolution of 2048 x 1536 pixels, and 3.1 million pixels in total spread across the screen, the new iPad's screen has a higher resolution screen than today's 1080p high definition TVs.

**** Instapaper 4.1 ****
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/instapaper-4-1/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

**** My First iPad 3 Report ****
<http://scripting.com/stories/2012/03/17/myFirstIpad3Report.html>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

> And it does heat up as others have reported. Not so as to be uncomfortable, but it is noticeable.

**** Apple, China, And The Truth ****
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/evanosnos/2012/03/mike-daiseys-mistakes-in-china.html>
Evan Osnos, New Yorker

> Going to the factory gates is exactly what reporters do in China. But when I heard it, a part of me was embarrassed by the prospect that maybe Daisey <i>had</i> found stuff that we in China had not.

**** Lies ****
<http://www.buzzmachine.com/2012/03/17/lies/>
Jeff Jarvis, BuzzMachine

> When anyone — performer, politician, blogger — says he has a license to lie because he’s not a journalist, he’s lying.

**** News Of The World ****
<http://www.economist.com/node/21550262>
The Economist

> To survive online, newspapers are seeking a worldwide audience.

**** Girls' Mags Are Not Sexy, But Sweet ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/mar/18/victoria-coren-teenage-girls-magazines-great>
Victoria Coren, The Observer

> I'm sad whenever I hear (as one often does; it's an endlessly recycled fear) that teenage girls' magazines these days are all sex and materialism: hard-edged, hard-eyed and inappropriately adult. The latest worrier is Joan Bakewell, who spoke at the Bath literature festival a couple of weeks ago about teen mags being "coarsening trash on a huge scale". I thought I'd better have a look.

> And at the risk of disagreeing with the great Dame Joan, who is up there with Jo March and Minnie the Minx in my heroines' pantheon, I found it the most charming, innocent, healthy, nostalgic little world I could imagine.

**** Cooking For One: It's Food With Someone You Really Love ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/mar/18/jay-rayner-cooking-for-one>
Jay Rayner, The Observer

> I am always baffled when anyone announces they don't bother bashing the pans about if they are the only person who needs to eat. My conclusion is they're not greedy enough.

**** Is Silence Going Extinct? ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/magazine/is-silence-going-extinct.html>
Kim Tingley, New York Times

> For more than 40 years, scientists have used radio telescopes to probe starry regions trillions of miles away for sounds of alien life. But only in the past five years or so have they been able to reliably record monthslong stretches of audio in the wildernesses of Earth. Last March, a group of ecologists and engineers taking advantage of advances in collecting, storing and analyzing vast quantities of digital data declared a new field of science: soundscape ecology. Other disciplines have long observed how various sounds affect people and individual animal species, but no one, they argued in the journal Bioscience, has yet studied the interconnected sounds of whole ecosystems.

**** The Unexpected Lessons Of Mexican Food ****
<http://www.salon.com/2012/03/17/the_unexpected_lessons_of_mexican_food/>
Armando Montano, Salon

> For as long as I can remember, I’ve felt the push and pull of growing up biracial in America. In the Mexican side of my family I was known as the white one. Even though I spoke Spanish, it was the formal kind learned from classrooms and reading, rather than the one you pick up by bartering with local shop owners over the price of firm avocados, or arguing with parents over a ridiculous curfew. On the other side, my cousins called me a “Wexican,” a white Mexican despite my similarly toned skin.

> Cooking, however, taught me to channel my frustrations by creating foods through the addition of sour cream, cilantro, cayenne pepper and tender meat. I could make a food that doesn’t have to be Mexican or American.

**** All At School ****
<http://desparatebeep.blogspot.com/2012/03/all-at-school.html>
Tang Li, Desparatebeep

> Despite all our achievements in education we have produced <i>no</i> Nobel Prize winners. There is no such thing as a globally renown artist who was educated in the Singapore system. It's not just the multinationals that are run by foreigners. To get ahead in government service, you need to spend a stint of your education elsewhere. All three of our Prime Ministers have had to study elsewhere for a period of time. When Kishore Mahbubani, Singapore's closest thing to an intellectual, encouraged Singaporeans to send their kids to our wonderfully good local universities, someone asked him where his daughters were studying. Mr Mahbubani suddenly became very silent on the topic.

**** Singapore-style Raw Fish 'Tossed' Salad Recipe ****
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/9133469/Singapore-style-raw-fish-tossed-salad-recipe.html>
Jeanne Kelley, The Telegraph

> This salad is a fun tradition in Singapore at Chinese New Year. Raw fish, fruit and vegetables are arranged in a bowl, dressed with a plum-sauce dressing, and sprinkled with peanuts. Once the salad is presented, guests participate in 'tossing' it with chopsticks, the object being to fling the salad as high as they can to ensure good luck in the year to come.

**** Singapore Gains Toehold In World Arms Industry ****
<http://news.malaysia.msn.com/regional/article.aspx?cp-documentid=6003835>
AFP

> Partly owned by state investment agency Temasek Holdings, ST Engineering dominates the defence industry in Singapore. It says it is one of the world's top suppliers of 40mm ammunition as well as portable weapons like its CIS 40mm Automatic Grenade Launcher.

> According to the Stockholm institute, Singapore has sold defence products to Indonesia, Chad, Nigeria, the Philippines, the United Arab Emirates and Brazil since 2000, generating $1.75 billion in 2010 alone.

**** A Tragedy At Budget Terminal ****
<http://cabby65.blogspot.com/2012/03/tragedy-at-budget-terminal.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Cabby

> Ah Lam is my taxi buddy. He is a slim, soft speaking man of few words and seldom open his mouth unless spoken to. He is 57 years old and lives with his wife and two grown up children in Pasir Ris. He has been a taxi driver for almost 15 years and never had any trouble with his passengers. He always try his best to accommodate his passengers demands and had a clean driving record. Unfortunately, this morning, he had an encounter with a violent passenger that resulted in a tragic lose of a life - not his nor his passenger but a innocent third party's life.

(Note: We do not know whether this account is accurate and truthful. Keep in mind also that we believe in innocence until proven guilty.)
Also: <a href="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1189705/1/.html">Suspect In Budget Terminal Taxi Crash To Face Charge</a> (Channel NewsAsia).

**** Have We Wasted Our Education? ****
<http://mamalim.wordpress.com/2012/03/17/have-we-wasted-our-education/>
Building An Ark In Singapore

> When our children are no longer so dependent on us, we can venture out to the workplace once again. Sure, some of us can return to the workforce earlier than others and our season at home varies. But we are most certainly not wasting the country’s or our parent’s money and recourses by being educated to the best of our abilities and then choosing to stay home for our family’s well being.

**** Is Parliament A New Playground For MPs? ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2012/03/is-parliament-new-playground-for-mps.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

> I believe Parliament is for more serious stuff and MPs in Parliament are to discuss serious matters that will affect the lives of the people and country. I hope there are not anglers who carry their fishing rods to cast in Parliament. Or the little scientists to fly their paper planes across the house.

**** Marilyn Monroe Meets Angels At Warhol Show In Asia ****
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-rt-us-singapore-warholbre82f0tq-20120316,0,2155768.story>
Eveline Danubrata, Reuters

> Andy Warhol, the "Pope of Pop", is making a pilgrimage to Asia on the 25th anniversary of his death, with one of the largest collections of his art set to tour five cities in the region over the next two years.

> "Andy Warhol: 15 Minutes Eternal", which opens in Singapore on March 17, features over 260 paintings, drawings, sculptures, film and video divided into four different creative periods.

**** Stop Mollycoddling Taxi Drivers! ****
<http://lohandbehold.com/2012/03/18/stop-mollycoddling-taxi-drivers/>
Mike Loh, Loh And Behold

**** Goodbye East Coast Park McDonald's ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120318-0000026/Goodbye-East-Coast-Park-McDonalds>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

> It was a place where many Singaporeans had their first dates, break-ups, and birthday celebrations.

Also:
<ul>
<li><a href="http://www.keropokman.com/2012/03/mcdonalds-east-coast-park.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+singapuradailymakan+%28Singapura+Daily+Makan+Photo%29">McDonald's East Coast Park</a> (KeropokMan).</li>
<li><a href="http://blog.dk.sg/2012/03/18/goodbye-east-coast-park-mcdonalds/">Goodbye East Coast Park McDonalds</a> (DKSG).</li>
<li><a href="http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.385902894760893.96904.114924071858778&type=1">30 Years Of McDonald's At ECP</a> (irememberSG, Facebook)</li>
</ul>

**** All You Can Eat ****