[MyAppleMenu] Mar 17, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Mar 17 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Use Sparrow For iPhone For A Near Flawless E-mail Experience ****
<http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57398202-285/use-sparrow-for-iphone-for-a-near-flawless-e-mail-experience/>
Jason Cipriani, CNET

**** How Many Apple Accounts Do You Have To Remember? ****
<http://rachelbythebay.com/w/2012/03/16/appleid/>
Writing

> Apple, we need to have a talk. You've created a monster with all of these accounts. You're looking at a disaster of usability here.

**** New iPad Retina Display, Comixology Make A Potent Mix ****
<http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/11347404-452/new-ipad-retina-display-comixology-make-a-potent-mix.html>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

> The experience of reading a comic book on either of the first two generations of iPads was, at best, adequate. If your vision is good and you’re willing to squint a little, you can possibly read comics in fullpage mode. Halfway through the first issue of a story arc, though, you’ll stop being a hero. If you’re using an open comic book editor, you’ll start zooming and scrolling. If you bought your comics from the Comixology mode, you’ll switch to their guided panel view mode.

> On the new iPad . . . you can stay in fullscreen mode through all 100 issues of “100 Bullets.” The art and the lettering is slightly smaller than a standard printed comic book page, but it’s perfectly crisp and readable throughout.

**** Worse Than Kony2012: The Tragedy Of Mike Daisey's Lies About China ****
<http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/03/worse-than-kony2012-the-tragedy-of-mike-daiseys-lies-about-china/254640/>
Max Fisher, The Atlantic

> By lying, Daisey undermined the cause he purported to advance. That's the real scandal.

**** Find And Use Those Crowded Out Menubar Apps ****
<http://www.cultofmac.com/152204/find-those-crowded-out-menubar-apps-os-x-tips/>
Rob LeFebvre, Cult Of Mac

> Ever plug your laptop into an LCD projector and have to switch to a much lower resolution than you’re used to? Do you use a lot of menubar apps? Have a hard time seeing all those menubar apps when you’re using a lower resolution display setting? If so, today’s tip is for you.

**** IT's Apple Problem Is Not Apple's Problem ****
<http://www.infoworld.com/d/consumerization-of-it/its-apple-problem-not-apples-problem-188265>
Galen Gruman, InfoWorld

> Get a clue: The notion of a three- or five-year technology road map is untenable and unrealistic outside of mainframes, ERP, retirement tracking, and nuclear containment -- the systems that need to be static and stable at their cores for decades. Any IT leader expecting such plans from any user-oriented technology provider should be fired.

**** The Mike Daisey Scandal In A Nutshell ****
<http://rc3.org/2012/03/17/the-mike-daisey-scandal-in-a-nutshell/>
Rafe Colburn, rc3.org

**** Mike Daisey's Betrayal Of This American Life's Truth – And My Trust ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/mar/17/mike-daisey-this-american-life?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Bob Garfield, The Guardian

> Which is the most anguishing aspect of the whole episode. He has made me an accessory, not just by passing along his scandalous tale, but by exploiting my preparedness to believe him. Which is precisely how Big Lies work, as well. Like the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, or Saddam's supposed weapons of mass destruction. The Bush administration's fictions about Iraq frightened America because they seemed to confirm the nation's worst fears and suspicions. Mike Daisey may be no Dick Cheney, but how do I know?

> I trust nobody to seek a greater good with trivial lies, because I cannot trust myself to know the difference.

**** Get Genius And iTunes Match To Live Together In Harmony ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1165941/get_genius_and_itunes_match_to_live_together_in_harmony.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Lex Friedman, Macworld

> In a welcome move, Apple’s iOS 5.1 update included, among other features, the return of Genius Mixes and Genius Playlist for subscribers to iTunes Match. At least, in theory. Initially, we—and many others, if Apple’s support discussions are any indication—found that the Genius features either didn’t work or didn’t even appear on our iOS devices after installing the 5.1 upgrade.

**** Bugs & Fixes: Troubleshoot Journals In iPhoto For iOS ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1165907/troubleshoot_iphoto_journals.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Ted Landau, Macworld

> In my use, the biggest trouble spot has been the Journals feature. This is a spanking new option, not yet available in the Mac version of iPhoto, where you can create and publish photo albums. In essence, it replaces (and improves upon) MobileMe’s soon-to-be-defunct Gallery.

**** Elcomsoft Criticism Of iOS Password Apps Overblown ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/12866>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

> In order to extract information from one of these iOS apps, a cracker needs physical access to the device and the ability to bypass certain security protections, or access to either an iTunes backup of the device or an image of the device’s storage. App data can be extracted from a local iTunes backup if the backup is unencrypted, or if the backup is encrypted and a cracker knows or can guess the backup password.

> If you use iCloud for backups or have a strong, secret iTunes backup password, your device backups aren’t vulnerable. There is more risk if the cracker obtains access to your actual device, but that person must have significant forensic skills and software, and extracting the app data might take an inordinately long time. Such extraction may not be possible at all on the latest iOS hardware when it’s properly protected with a passcode that’s not easily guessed (don’t pick “1234”, for instance). If locked, the passcodes used by the iPad 2, third-generation iPad, and iPhone 4S are entirely secure unless the device was jailbroken before being locked.

**** Retracting "Mr. Daisey And The Apple Factory" ****
<http://www.thisamericanlife.org/blog/2012/03/retracting-mr-daisey-and-the-apple-factory>
Ira Glass, This American Life

> I have difficult news. We've learned that Mike Daisey's story about Apple in China - which we broadcast in January - contained significant fabrications. We're retracting the story because we can’t vouch for its truth. This is not a story we commissioned. It was an excerpt of Mike Daisey's acclaimed one-man show "The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs," in which he talks about visiting a factory in China that makes iPhones and other Apple products.

> Daisey lied to me and to This American Life producer Brian Reed during the fact checking we did on the story, before it was broadcast. That doesn't excuse the fact that we never should've put this on the air. In the end, this was our mistake.

Also:
<ul>
<li><a href="http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/460/retraction">460: Retraction</a> (This American Life).</li>
<li><a href="http://podcast.thisamericanlife.org/special/TAL_460_Retraction_Transcript.pdf">Rush Transcript of "Retraction"</a> (This American Life). Note: This link points to an PDF document.</li>
</ul>

**** New York Times Edits Article By Mike Daisey It Posted Just After Steve Jobs’ Death Due To Fabrications ****
<http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/03/17/new-york-times-edits-article-by-mike-daisey-it-posted-just-after-steve-jobs-death-for-accuracy/>
Matthew Panzarino, The Next Web

> The New York Times has edited an article by now-suspect monologuist and performer Mike Daisey to reflect that questions have been raised about its accuracy. This follows the public radio program This American Life retracting an entire episode of its program starring Daisey after it found evidence that he had fabricated much of it.

**** Why New Programming Languages Succeed -- Or Fail ****
<http://www.infoworld.com/d/application-development/why-new-programing-languages-succeed-or-fail-188648>
Neil McAllister, InfoWorld

**** Future Tense, VII: What's A Museum? ****
<http://www.newcriterion.com/articles.cfm/Future-tense--VII--What-s-a-museum--7298>
James Panero, The New Criterion

> Yet if today’s museums are successful cultural caterers with wide-ranging menus, no matter where we find them, their fare manages to taste more and more the same.

**** When Critics Mattered ****
<http://www.bostonreview.net/BR37.2/jonathan_kirshner_pauline_kael_roger_ebert_film_criticism.php>
Jonathan Kirshner, Boston Review

> Kael retired in 1991; she lived for ten more years. Ebert continues today as arguably the most influential film critic in the country. Things are different now. Contemporary American culture, more attentive to celebrity lifestyles and box office receipts, is less hospitable to serious conversation about movies. But we can still look back.

**** Book Review: 'The Guardians: An Elegy' By Sarah Manguso ****
<http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-sarah-manguso-20120318,0,187494.story>
Carolyn Kellogg, Los Angeles Times

> The book is about Manguso's friend Harris, who, in a psychological breakdown, threw himself in front of a train. Or rather, it turns from that incident to her feelings about the loss of her friend and the closely threaded space between them. It is a slender, understated book about loving someone and, with the fracture of an unexpected death, being left behind.

**** The Habit Of Light ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/mar/16/saturday-poem-gillian-clarke-mothers-day?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Gillian Clarke, The Guardian

**** God And The New Physics By Paul Davies – Book Review ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/mar/16/god-new-physics-paul-davies-review1?CMP=twt_gu>
Tim Radford, The Guardian

> This is not a book that will comfort unquestioning believers. Why should it? For them, blind belief is its own comfort. For the rest of us, Davies provides a richness of patient reasoning, and yet another chance to marvel at the universe in which we seem so lucky to maintain precarious and limited leasehold.

**** Taiwanese Media’s Coverage Of NEL Train Disruption: Singapore Is In A ‘Big Mess’! ****
<http://temasektimes.wordpress.com/2012/03/17/taiwanese-medias-coverage-of-nel-train-disruption-singapore-is-in-a-big-mess/>
The Temasek Times

**** Singapore Gangster ****
<http://www.thenervousbreakdown.com/jchua/2012/03/singapore-gangster/>
Joel Chua, The Nervous Breakdown

**** Lifting AirAsia To Greater Heights ****
<http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2012/3/17/lifefocus/10899842&sec=lifefocus>
Wong Kim Hoh, Straits Times

> When AirAsia chief Tan Sri Tony Fernandes told Singaporean Kathleen Tan to ‘go change China’, the aviation novice got herself a map and started knocking on doors . Now, she is the most powerful woman in the airline.

**** Growth Area In Singapore ****
<http://www.theaustralian.com.au/travel/growth-area-in-singapore/story-e6frg8rf-1226298555012>
Jill Innamorati-Varley, The Australian

> So little is known of what is going on in the village of Kranji -- the antithesis of life on Orchard Road, Marina Bay or Sentosa Island -- that even the Singaporeans I speak to seem unaware of its existence.

**** Excuse Me, You Somebody Meh? ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2012/03/excuse-me-you-somebody-meh.html>
Singapore Notes

**** All 40Km Of NEL Inspected; No Abnormalities Detected ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1189564/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> SBS Transit said it completed the inspection checks of the remaining 17 kilometres of the track after train service hours early on Saturday.

> SBS Transit said it'll continue to monitor the system closely, following Thursday's service disruption between HarbourFront and Dhoby Ghaut stations.

**** Three Parks To Be Developed Into Destination Parks ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1189561/1/.html>
Saifulbahri Ismail, Channel NewsAsia

> Admiralty Park, East Coast Park and Jurong Lake Park will be developed into large regional parks, offering recreational features not usually found in public parks. They're expected to be developed within three to five years.

**** Foreign Worker Flow Choked ****
<http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2012/3/17/columnists/insightdownsouth/10928866&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

> Today with the strong reliance on “cheap foreigners”, it is becoming a lot harder to turn back to the original strategy of high-skilled services by using trained Singaporeans.

**** 44 Men To Make Or Break Your Life … And Your Country ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2012/03/44-men-to-make-or-break-your-life-and.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** Not Enough Improvement In Train Services ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_778297.html>
Lim Wan Keng, Straits Times

> The crowding has also not eased; rather it feels as if the trains are getting more crowded, especially with the opening of the Circle Line.

> The public should be told whether the Land Transport Authority is strictly monitoring all aspects of train service operations.

**** Restore Scrapped Bus Services ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_778306.html>
Varun Naidu, Straits Times

> The forced dependence on the MRT network has made Singaporeans unable to find bus routes to take them to their destinations, and this has caused overcrowding on trains, even with improved service frequencies.

LTA has promised routes parallel to the MRT lines will be introduced by the third quarter of this year. My fear? Too little too late.

**** Resilience Or Resignation? ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120317-0000066/Resilience-or-resignation?>
Tan Weizhen, Today

> Transport experts stressed there is no reason - given the age of the MRT system here, as compared to those in other countries - for Singaporeans to accept train service disruptions as part and parcel of life.

**** Works Would Have Affected Tree Stability ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120317-0000040/Works-would-have-affected-tree-stability>
Sim Cheng Hai, National Parks Board, Today

> While the tree referred to by Ms Chee was not likely to have been as old as 100 years, we had explored all ways to retain it. This included working with the architect on alternative design configurations and carrying out tests to assess the presence of major tree roots.

> Unfortunately, given the constraints of the site, one major anchoring root would have been affected by the construction. This would have an impact on the stability of the tree. Hence, we could not retain it.

Maybe the wasteful tearing-down-and-rebuilding works shouldn't have been approved.

**** How Yale's Singapore Venture Imperils Liberal Education ****
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-sleeper/how-yales-singapore-ventu_b_1352729.html>
Im Sleeper, Huffington Post