[MyAppleMenu] Mar 16, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Mar 16 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** How To Restore Data From Time Machine ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1165784/how_to_restore_data_from_time_machine.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Leah Yamshon, Macworld

> Now that you’ve been using Time Machine regularly to back up your computer, you should be fully prepared if your Mac crashes or if you need to move data from one Mac to another. Restoring data from Time Machine is just as easy as backing things up in the first place.

**** How To Get The Best Price Selling Your Used iPad ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1165906/how_to_get_the_best_price_selling_your_used_ipad.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

**** New Apple iPad Launch: Still Mania, But More Muted ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2012/03/16/new-apple-ipad-launch-still-mania-but-more-muted/>
Sarah Berlow, Wall Street Journal

> Beyond the lines, past Apple launches have been accompanied by a spectrum of Apple-related paraphernalia, including iPad headbands and themed costumes. Friday’s queue included the usual assortment of goofy attire. But the mania seems to have dissipated somewhat, with the crowd remarkably calm—professional even, as customers patiently waited in a neat double line.

**** The New iPad's Screen Under The Microscope ****
<http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2012/03/16/ipad_screen_microscope/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IgnoreTheCode+%28ignore+the+code%29>
Lukas Mathis, Ignore The Code

**** No Excitement As New iPad Launches In Singapore ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2012/03/16/no-excitement-as-new-ipad-launches-in-singapore/>
Matthew Allen and Shibani Mahtani, Wall Street Journal

> Over at Singtel’s flagship store near the busy shopping district of Orchard Road , a spokesman for the country’s largest telecommunications provider acknowledged the lack of queues. This had nothing to do with the popularity of the product, or the proliferation of iPad 2s across the country, but rather decentralized sales for spreading customers out and preventing large crowds at any one store, he said.

> In Singapore, where there is no official Apple store unlike those in New York, Hong Kong, Tokyo or Shanghai, customers are without one iconic place to get their iPads. For Singtel alone, about 24 of their stores and partner outlets were selling the new iPad. They also started selling the device online from midnight on Friday, using couriers to deliver the units at 3 a.m.

**** OS X FileVault Questions Answered ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57398382-263/os-x-filevault-questions-answered/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** For Apple, Pressure Builds Over App Store Fraud ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/16/technology/pressure-on-apple-builds-over-app-store-fraud.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Evelyn M. Rusli and Brian X. Chen, New York Times

> In a little over an hour, Ryan Matthew Pierson racked up $437.71 in iTunes charges for virtual currency that he could use to buy guns, nightclubs and cars in iMobster, a popular iPhone game. One problem: Mr. Pierson, a technology writer in Texas, has never played iMobster.

**** Choosing Between A New iPad And An iPad 2 ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1165902/choosing_between_a_new_ipad_and_an_ipad_2.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> The most important factor to weigh is what you’ll use your shiny new tablet for.

**** Anarchy In The App Store ****
<http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-03-15/anarchy-in-the-app-store>
Adam Satariano and Douglas MacMillan, Bloomberg

> Apple has been fighting infractions of its App Store rules on a case-by-case basis. Now it may be looking for more effective solutions.

**** Kindle 3.0 For iOS Released With New Library Design, Retina Text ****
<http://www.macstories.net/news/kindle-3-0-for-ios-released-with-new-library-design-retina-graphics/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

**** New iPad: A Million More Pixels Than HDTV ****
<http://allthingsd.com/20120314/new-ipad-a-million-more-pixels-than-hdtv/>
Walt Mossberg, AllThingsD

> Since it launched in 2010, the iPad has been the best tablet on the planet. With the new, third-generation model, it still holds that crown.

**** Microsoft Builds A Browser For Your Past ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/39917/?ref=rss>
Tom Simonite, Technology Review

> Mining personal data to discover what people care about has become big business for companies such as Facebook and Google. Now a project from Microsoft Research is trying to bring that kind of data mining back home to help people explore their own piles of personal digital data.

**** Authenticated Electricity: Sony Power Outlets Will Charge You For Charging ****
<http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/03/authenticated-electricity-sony-power-outlets-will-charge-you-for-charging.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jon Brodkin, Ars Technica

> Sony is building a new kind of power outlet that raises a not entirely pleasant prospect—in the future, plugging a phone into a public wall socket might require authentication and take a chunk out of your bank account. But the technology will have many important uses, Sony says, from managing payments for recharging electrical vehicles to avoiding blackouts by intelligently regulating the use of power.

**** Book Review: 'Stay Awake: Stories' By Dan Chaon ****
<http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-dan-chaon-20120318,0,5482090.story>
Chris Barton, Los Angeles Times

> An understated master of the form whose occasionally devastating debut story collection "Among the Missing" was a National Book Award finalist in 2001, Chaon has returned to the format with more quietly haunting stories of isolation and disconnection that stick with you like faded images from a disturbing dream.

**** Photographs Not Taken: What Makes A Photographer Freeze? ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/mar/15/photographs-not-taken-photographer-freeze>
Sean O'Hagan, The Guardian

> In his introduction, Steacy, a photographer himself, describes it as "a collection of essays by photographers about moments that never became a picture". He writes: "Here, the process of making a photograph has been reversed. Instead of looking out into the world through a camera lens, these essays look directly into the mind's eye to reveal where photographs come from in their barest and most primitive form – the original idea."

> The stories also show that there are many reasons not to take a photograph.

**** Expensive, Useless, Exploitative ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2012/03/the_encyclopedia_britannica_was_expensive_useless_and_exploitative_i_m_glad_it_s_gone_.html>
Farhad Manjoo, Slate

> My advice is to make the wiser, cheaper choice, one that will prove more helpful to your kids in the long run: Pay nothing to Britannica and teach your young ones to use Google and Wikipedia.

**** Singapore’s Drug Policy: I Don’t Think It Does What You Think It Does. ****
<http://kirstenhan.me/2012/03/16/singapores-drug-policy-i-dont-think-it-does-what-you-think-it-does/>
Kirsten Han, Funny Little World

> I’m not saying that I want Bohl or Laroussi to hang. Every time I hear of a capital charge reduced or dropped I am relieved that my country is going to kill one less person in my name. But if this is happening, if the only people we ever seem to be executing are the very people the mandatory death penalty was not intended for, then you’ve got to wonder, what’s the point? What are we really fixing?

**** Transport Minister, Is Pragmatism More Important Than Values? ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/03/transport-minister-is-pragmatism-more-important-than-values/>
Reena Rajesvari, CAN!, The Online Citizen

> By rejecting the requests by various Members of Parliament to give subsidy in public transport to people with disabilities, the Transport Minister has clearly sent out a signal that pragmatism is more important than values. That is quite regrettable.

**** Singapore Economic Prospects Brighter, Inflation Looms ****
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/16/singapore-economy-idUSL4E8EG1N220120316>
Kevin Lim, Reuters

> Singapore's exports recovered strongly in February, led by electronics and pharmaceuticals, providing an early sign the picture could brighten for Asia's trade-dependent economies.

> But the outlook for inflation in the city-state worsened, with economists now predicting it could hit the top end of the official 2.5 to 3.5 percent forecast for 2012, according to a survey released by the central bank on Friday.

**** "Singapore’s Defense Policy: Essential Or Excessive?" ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2012/03/singapores-defense-policy-essential-or.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

**** 新加坡这样说“官话” ****
<http://blog.ifeng.com/article/16803643.html>
邹振东, 南方周末

> 因为一无所有,所以,必须有所作为。新加坡官员的“官话”和普通民众的“套话”,没有媚上,没有矫情,也没有自矜,他们不断重复着对自己生存环境的清醒认识,他们忧患,所以进步!

**** Understanding Wealth Management In Singapore ****
<http://fcw.com/blogs/lectern/2012/03/singapore-wealth-management.aspx>
Steve Kelman, Fedearal Computer Week

> So there is no tax advantage for an American to put their money in Singapore, with its low taxes, because you still need to pay the U.S. tax rate back home. However, if Chinese investors put wealth in Singapore, they do not need to pay taxes in China on the income earned in Singapore, only Singapore taxes. So tax differences pay a huge role in attracting funds from wealthy people to a country.

**** Singapore As A Global City ****
<http://the-diplomat.com/asean-beat/2012/03/16/singapore-as-a-global-city/>
Yingyue Han, The Diplomat

> Despite Singapore lacking democratic legitimacy in the eyes of many, its market is one of the least susceptible to economic corruption due to its small size, booming and highly competitive industries, and close government surveillance.

> What is more, Singapore’s regional and global diplomatic ties ensure it possesses greater global appeal than the 12 Chinese cities also ranked in the EIU Index’s top 20.

**** No Abnormality Found So Far: SBS Transit ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1189357/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> It will continue to check on the other 17 kilometres of track on Friday night after train service hours, and expects to complete the inspection before the start of train service on Saturday morning.

> Giving an update on the inspection following a 10-hour disruption on the line between Dhoby Ghaut and HarbourFront stations on Thursday, SBS Transit said it found no abnormality on the North bound tunnel from HarbourFront to Woodleigh Stations, and the South bound tunnel from Punggol to Boon Keng Stations.

**** Improve Road And Rail Links To Airport ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_778074.html>
Wong Mong Guan, Straits Times

> Apart from the Tanah Merah-Changi Airport MRT line, we should invest in an express rail line direct from the city to the airport in anticipation of more visitors upon completion of Terminal 4.

**** Wages Up 6% Last Year But Struggle To Keep Up With Inflation ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_778189.html>
Rachel Chang, Straits Times

> After accounting for higher prices, real wages crept up by 0.7 per cent, less than the 2.7 per cent rise in 2010, said the Ministry of Manpower's (MOM) latest labour market report, released on Thursday.

Still a long way to go for the government's 2011 target to "raise incomes by 30% in real terms over this decade."

**** 公众不知道可免费搭所有沿线巴士 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120316_016.shtml>
李静仪 王舒杨 黄伟曼, 联合早报

> 新捷运昨天安排查票员到沿线的巴士站,通知抵站的巴士司机,所有上车的乘客都无需在阅卡器前扫描车资卡。最终这些乘客的巴士车费,将由发生地铁故障的公司买单。不过,令交通部长吕德耀感到有些遗憾的是,多数公众似乎并没有利用这项免费巴士服务。

Maybe we should declare public holiday whenever trains are down. Just like snow days.

**** The Right To Rights, In Debate Over Maids' Day Off ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Commentary/EDC120316-0000008/The-right-to-rights,-in-debate-over-maids-day-off>
Teo You Yenn and Vivienne Wee, Today

> In a letter to a newspaper, published online, the writer asks without irony: "Who will do the chores and look after the children and the elderly when the maids are enjoying their days off?"

> What does it take to pose this question? It takes a mindset that regards care of one's own offspring as tedious, beneath oneself and rightfully the responsibility of a hired woman. It misconstrues filial piety as a burden that has little to do with care as expressed in physical contact and everything to do with contracting out what one doesn't want to do.

**** Old Police Academy Site: URA Mindful Of Heritage ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120316-0000048/Old-Police-Academy-site--URA-mindful-of-heritage>
Tan See Nin, Urban Redevelopment Authority, Today

> The plans to develop housing around the Old Police Academy site are still at an early stage and hence we do not have any details which can be made available at this point in time. We would like to assure the writer that, in planning for the Old Police Academy site, we are mindful of the existing site conditions, including the heritage and greenery of the area.

Don't expect too much.

**** Why Are Polytechnic Students Required To Pay Adult Fares? ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120316-0000067/Why-are-polytechnic-students-required-to-pay-adult-fares?>
Muhammad Mu’tasim Bin Kassim, Today

> I am baffled by this ruling, especially since the students are genuinely in need of the discounted fares.

Subsidies are currently based on studies, not age. Why must polytechnic students be comparable to junior college students?
If we subsidy children based on age, should fifth-year N level student pay more than fourth-year O-level student? Should a university student who studied three years of polytechnic pay more than a university student who studied two years of A level?
(Note: Polytechnic students <i>are</i> provided with <a href="http://www.transitlink.com.sg/ps-ccard-tertiary.html#4">subsidies</a> and do not pay full adult fare.)

**** Cables Expected To 'Outlast' System ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120316-0000092/Cables-expected-to-outlast-system>
Amanda Lee, Today

> Commenting on the steel wires, SBS Transit executive vice-president (Rail) Wong Wai Keong said: "There was no corrosion or anything we could identify at the moment." He added that the steel wires were expected to outlast "most of the (power) system".

**** iPad 3rd Generation Singapore Launch At M1 Paragon ****
<http://macryu.com/ipad-3rd-generation-singapore-launch-at-m1-paragon>
MacRyu

> And an iPad Launch won’t be an iPad Launch without scalpers, with a big bunch of them gathering at Starbucks after purchase to get paid by the big boss.

Also: <a href="http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120316_015.shtml">今天零时01分:新iPad到手了!</a> (联合早报)

**** Brown Study ****
<http://www.economist.com/node/21550321>
The Economist