[MyAppleMenu] Jul 10, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 10 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Apple To Sell The iPad In China Starting July 20 ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/10/apple-to-sell-the-ipad-in-china-starting-july-20/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

**** Turn Your Old iPad Into A Dedicated E-reader ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167159/turn_your_old_ipad_into_a_dedicated_e_reader.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** NeatCloud Offers iOS-accessible Cloud Storage ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167608/neatcloud_offers_ios_accessible_cloud_storage.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

**** Hands On: Next Issue All-you-can-read Magazine iPad App ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167586/hands_on_next_issue_all_you_can_read_magazine_ipad_app.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

> In April, Next Issue Media launched with a similar idea for magazines. Pay a monthly fee and get access to a bunch of digital magazines from Conde Nast, Hearst, Meredith, News Corp., and Time Inc. The problem? It was only available for some Android tablets. As of Tuesday, iPad users get to join in the fun with a catalog of nearly 40 magazines, and the promise of more to come.

**** Apple Ships Final OS X Mountain Lion To Developers ****
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228949/Apple_ships_final_OS_X_Mountain_Lion_to_developers>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

> Its debut means that the on-sale date for Mountain Lion is probably between two and three weeks away.

**** Let’s Try To Think This iPad Mini Thing All The Way Through ****
<http://daringfireball.net/2012/07/this_ipad_mini_thing>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

**** Prevent Accidental App Closures With CommandQ ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167587/prevent_accidental_app_closures_with_commandq.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> CommandQ steps in to protect those of us with fat fingers. Its actions are simple: it blocks the Command-Q shortcut, displaying a bezel with a progress bar on screen.

**** Fine-tune Volume And Brightness In OS X ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167595/fine_tune_volume_and_brightness_in_os_x.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> In addition to using this Shift-Option combination to control the volume more finely, you can also use it when you adjust the brightness on your Mac.

**** Software Inventory ****
<http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2012/07/09.html>
Joel Spolsky, Joel On Software

**** Poem Of The Week: Departed By Grahame Davies ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jul/09/poem-week-departed-grahame-davies?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Carol Rumens, The Guardian

**** The Big Higgs Question ****
<http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2012/jul/09/big-higgs-question/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Steven Weinberg, New York Review Of Books

> It is often said that what was at stake in the search for the Higgs particle was the origin of mass. True enough, but this explanation needs some sharpening.

**** One Small Step At A Time ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/07/toc-editorial-one-small-step-at-a-time/>
The Online Citizen

> But this has to be just the beginning. It has to be just the start of a longer road ahead, towards at least abolishing the mandatory death penalty in totality. The truth is that the entire concept of a mandatory death penalty is flawed at its core. Even as we celebrate this positive news, we should not lose sight of the immense amount of work that remains to be done.

Also:
• <a href="http://chemgen.wordpress.com/2012/07/10/the-rethinking-on-the-mandatory-death-penalty/">The Rethinking on the Mandatory Death Penalty</a> (Chemical Generation Singapore)

**** Higher Public Policy Spending May Not Lead To More Babies: DPM Teo ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1212700/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

**** Govt Shares Some Blame For Dec's MRT Breakdowns: Lui ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1212698/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah, Channel NewsAsia

> The COI report had found shortcomings in train operator SMRT. But LTA, too, fell short, said Mr Lui. He said that as the regulator, it is the responsibility of the LTA to hold transport operators accountable for delivering a reliable system to commuters.

> He said while LTA's regulatory approach in the past was outcome-based, going forward, the regulatory framework would be enhanced to be more prescriptive and to exercise greater oversight on areas that affect reliability and commuter comfort.

Also:
• <a href="http://app.lta.gov.sg/corp_press_content.asp?start=57rwirse9exbeuncavhk7vb03w0c2hrq8xu51a5q346ow60598">LTA Will Strengthen Its Regulatory Framework</a> (Land Transport Authority, Singapore Government)

**** Foreigners Involved In Brawl Managed To Skip Bail Due To Officer's Lapse ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1212706/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** Govt Does Not Set Specific Targets For New Jobs For S'poreans ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1212705/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Second minister for trade and industry, S Iswaran, said the government does not set specific targets for new jobs for Singaporeans as doing so would be too prescriptive and inefficient.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1212704/1/.html">Govt open to set up task force to create more jobs for elderly</a> (Channel NewsAisa)
• <a href="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1212701/1/.html">Govt to focus on promoting flexible work arrangements</a> (Channel NewsAsia): The government also has a range of initiatives, including funding assistance schemes such as Worklife Works and the Fun and Flexi Works Scheme. Under these measures, employers receive government co-funding when they put in place flexible work arrangements.

**** Tighter Laws Against Cyberbullying? ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1212739/1/.html>
Sharon See, Channel NewsAsia

> Mr Teo [Chee Hean] said the government is reviewing other criminal legislation enacted before the Internet age to ensure that undesirable acts perpetrated via electronic means can similarly be punishable as criminal offences.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1212690/1/.html">Govt may consider tightening bail system & Criminal Procedure Code</a> (Channel NewsAs0a)

**** Talking About My Panic Attacks & Need For Space ****
<http://www.whiteasmilk.com/2012/07/10/talking-about-my-panic-attacks-need-for-space/>
White As Milk

> In Singapore there is the awful stigma when it comes to mental health. Horrible words are used to describe the mentally ill.

**** Singapore’s Obligations To The IMF And Our Role In International Finance ****
<http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7730>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

**** Details Need To Be Worked Out: Observers ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120710-0000049/Details-need-to-be-worked-out--Observers>
Amir Hussain, Today

> From a "small step in the right direction" to a "significant milestone", observers generally hailed the government's proposals to give judges the discretion not to impose the death sentence for certain drug trafficking offences.

Also:
• <a href="http://kirstenhan.me/2012/07/10/small-steps-away-from-the-death-penalty/">Small steps away from the death penalty</a> (Kirsten Han, Funny Little World): In the scheme of things, it’s a tiny step, a tiny chip off the brick wall. We still need to see more details, and have our initial concerns addressed. The work is far from done, and no one is giving up on our journey to a Singapore without the death penalty. But for now, it’s a little victory.