[MyAppleMenu] Jul 9, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jul 9 18:59:01 EDT 2012

**** How The iPad Helps Scientists Do Their Jobs ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167594/how_the_ipad_helps_scientists_do_their_jobs.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

> It wasn’t so long ago that Chris Grant would regularly take a whole laboratory’s worth of equipment with him into the wilderness. These days, he just takes an iPad.

**** Aperture 3.3 Embraces Retina Display And iPhoto ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167577/aperture_3_3_embraces_retina_display_and_iphoto.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Derrick Story, Macworld

> Other than the absence of a few sliders in Highlights & Shadows, there is nothing to lose and everything to gain by upgrading to Aperture 3.3.1 You’ll need Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 to do so, however. So if you’re still holding out with Snow Leopard, you’ll have to upgrade to run the latest Aperture.

> Photographers with the new MacBook Pro 15-inch Retina display are in for a special treat with Aperture 3.3.1 It is visually stunning on these machines.

**** Listen Different: Add Silence To Your iTunes And iPod Playlists ****
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/2012/07/09/listen-different-adding-silence-to-your-itunes-and-ipod-playlists/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> I’ve created a few tracks of silence that you can download and add to your iTunes music library. You can use them in any playlist, or copy them and add them to specific albums.

**** Coverage Of Significant Apple Moves ****
<http://kickingbear.com/blog/archives/323>
Guy English, Kickingbear

> This is a pretty big change of policy for Apple. It’s not huge from a consumer perspective but from the perspective of a dedicated company watcher it seems like something that’d light up the radar.

**** A Phone That Knows Where You're Going ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/news/428441/a-phone-that-knows-where-youre-going/>
David Talbot, Technology Review

> An algorithm can better predict your future movements by getting a little help from your friends.

**** More Demands On Cell Carriers In Surveillance ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/09/us/cell-carriers-see-uptick-in-requests-to-aid-surveillance.html?pagewanted=all>
Eric Lichtblau, New York Times

**** Is The Web Driving Us Mad? ****
<http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/07/08/is-the-internet-making-us-crazy-what-the-new-research-says.html>
Tony Dokoupil, Newsweek

> Tweets, texts, emails, posts. New research says the Internet can make us lonely and depressed—and may even create more extreme forms of mental illness.

**** Singapore To Relax, But Not Remove, Death Penalty: Deputy PM ****
<http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/07/09/uk-singapore-death-idUKBRE8680IN20120709>
John O'Callaghan And Kevin Lim, Reuters

> The government, reflecting changes in "our society's norms and expectations", will put forward a draft law by the end of this year to give judges more leeway to deal with certain drug and murder cases, deputy prime minister Teo Chee Hean told parliament.

> To avoid execution for drug trafficking, two specific conditions must be met, he said. First, the accused must have acted only as a courier, with no other part in the supply or distribution.

> "We also propose to give the courts the discretion to spare a drug courier from the death penalty if he has a mental disability which substantially impairs his appreciation of the gravity of the act, and instead sentence him to life imprisonment with caning," Teo said.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.mha.gov.sg/news_details.aspx?nid=MjUzMQ%3d%3d-2dhtRqCsPiA%3d">Executive Summary of Ministerial Statements</a> (Ministry of Home Affairs, Ministry of Law, Singapore Government)
• <a href="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1212485/1/.html">Singapore completes review of mandatory death penalty</a> (S Ramesh/Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia): Mr Shanmugam warned that offenders who intended to cause the death of their victims ought to be punished with the most severe penalty, and the law ought to provide the most powerful deterrent against such offences. However, he explained that other categories of murder could be committed with different degrees of intent and under a variety of situations that may not deserve the death penalty.
• <a href="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1212518/1/.html">Criminal lawyers, MARUAH welcome death penalty review</a> (Channel NewsAsia)
• <a href="http://unbrandedbreadnbutter.wordpress.com/2012/07/09/all-eyes-on-the-judges-death-penalty-no-longer-mandatory/">All Eyes on the Judges: Death Penalty no longer Mandatory</a> (Unbranded Bread)
• <a href="http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/677-the-scales-of-justice-supplant-a-weighing-scale">The Scales of Justice supplant a weighing scale</a> (Ng Jing Song, Publichouse.sg): The belief that the mandatory death sentence is an effective deterrence is highly controversial. Singapore now has its quasi-experiment on the deterrent effect of the mandatory death sentence.

**** S'pore, M'sia "Have No Interest" In Undermining Good Relations ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1212462/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

> Speaking in Parliament on Monday, Mr Shanmugam reiterated that the allegations are false. He said the Singapore officers were at the Bersih rally as impartial observers, just like diplomats from more than 10 other countries.

**** "No Immediate Need" For Measures To Cushion S'pore Economy ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1212481/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** MDA Has Provided S$470m In Public Service Broadcast Funding: Yaacob Ibrahim ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1212497/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> He said 9 in 10 TV viewers, or about 4.3 million people, watched a PSB funded programme in 2011. In addition, PSB content on MediaCorp's xinmsn online portal garnered a total of 4.4 million viewers.

I don't think we have an easy way to determine which television programme is funded by MDA.

**** Over 150,000 Voters Did Not Turn Up For 2011 General Election: DPM Teo ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1212504/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah, Channel NewsAsia

> The number is more than twice the number of the 72,881 non-voters at the 2006 elections.

> Mr Teo said non-voters can come forward to restore their names to the register at any time, and that the majority had a valid reason for not voting, like being overseas or on medical leave.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1212479/1/.html">DPM Teo on election laws for overseas voting</a> (Channel NewsAsia)

**** SBS Transit To Get 1,000 New Buses As Early As January ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1212508/1/.html>