[MyAppleMenu] Jul 3, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 3 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** iPhoto Auto-downloads Expired MobileMe Galleries ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/03/iphoto-auto-downloads-expired-mobileme-galleries/>
Michael Rose, TUAW

**** Apple May Get The Italian Boot, Has 30 Days To Push A 2-Year Warranty For Locals ****
<http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/03/apple-may-get-the-italian-boot-has-30-days-to-push-2-year-warranty/>
Jon Fingas, Engadget

**** iTunes Tip: Choose Which Types Of Content Display In The iTunes Source List ****
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/2012/07/03/itunes-tip-choose-which-types-of-content-display-in-the-itunes-source-list/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

**** The Power Of Two: Using Your iPad As A Second Monitor ****
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/07/the-power-of-two-using-your-tablet-as-a-second-monitor/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

**** Why Are We In Denial About The Flaws Of Tablets? ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/view/428397/why-are-we-in-denial-about-the-flaws-of-tablets/?ref=rss>
Christopher Mims, Technology Review

> We're going to get something vivid and dynamic and flexible and light enough to be a credible replacement for print, and at the same time it might also supplant even more of the tasks we currently perform on both our PCs and our smartphones. But especially when this magical device arrives, are users going to want to put up with the walled gardens of content apps? I think not.

Everybody who talks about Apple's walled-garden also ignores Safari, the first truly great web browser for mobile devices.

**** The iPhone And Disruption: Five Years In ****
<http://daringfireball.net/2012/07/iphone_disruption_five_years_in>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> The iPod’s success fooled almost everyone (including me) into thinking that Apple’s entry into the phone market would be similar. The iPod was the world’s best portable media player; the “iPhone”, thus, would likely be the world’s best cell phone.

> But that’s not what it was. It was the world’s best portable computer.

**** Deauthorizing The iTunes Account On An Old Computer ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1167523/deauthorizing_the_itunes_account_on_an_old_computer.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christpher Breen, Macworld

**** MobileMe Officially Shut Down; iWork.com Is Next ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/mobileme-officially-shut-down-iwork-com-is-next/>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

> Apple has begun reminding users once again that its online portal for iWork will go dark on July 31, 2012, pushing them to sign in and download any documents stored online before the end of the month.

**** Google's Hybrid Approach To Research ****
<http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2012/7/151226-googles-hybrid-approach-to-research/fulltext>
Alfred Spector, Peter Norvig, Stav Petrov, Communications of the ACM

**** Spray-On Batteries Could Reshape Energy Storage ****
<http://www.technologyreview.com/view/428390/spray-on-batteries-could-reshape-energy-storage/?ref=rss>
Martin Lamonica, Technology Review

> Rice University researchers make the components of batteries with paints. When combined with spray-on solar cells, the technique opens up a range of possibilities for energy producing and storing devices.

**** Marilyn Monroe And Truman Capote Dance ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/poem/2012/07/_marilyn_monroe_and_truman_capote_dance_by_patrick_ryan_frank_.html>
Patrick Ryan Frank, Slate

**** Canada By Richard Ford: Review ****
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/bookreviews/9362685/Canada-by-Richard-Ford-review.html>
Lucy Daniel, Telegraph

> Richard Ford’s magnificent, compassionate, strangely languorous new novel begins with a crafty come-on: “First, I’ll tell about the robbery our parents committed. Then about the murders, which happened later.” That’s quite some opener. What follows is not a Bonnie and Clyde-style adventure, but a far more ruminative affair about the imperceptible slide from normal to not normal, edging towards the point of no return. If that’s mildly disappointing, he more than makes up for it in the bitter fallout from physical actions.

**** The Same Old Song ****
<http://www.tnr.com/article/poetry/magazine/104200/the-same-old-song/freedom-to-marry>
Richard Howard, The New Republic

**** Karantina Massacre, 1976, East Beirut ****
<http://www.tnr.com/article/books-and-arts/magazine/104198/karantina-massacre-1976-east-beirut>
Ruth Awad, The New Republic

**** An Abduction ****
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2012/07/09/120709fi_fiction_hadley>
Tessa Hadley, New Yorker

**** Extreme Eccentrics: Modern Art And Its Collectors ****
<http://www.thenation.com/article/168581/extreme-eccentrics-modern-art-and-its-collectors>
Barry Schwabsky, The Nation

> The solution must have the doctor rolling in his grave. Having reopened this past May in a handsome new building (designed by Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects) just down the street from the Philadelphia Museum of Art—Barnes’s bête noir—the Barnes Foundation is now a museum like any other. Visitors don’t even need to make an appointment. Dilettantes may entertain themselves without fear of the doctor’s furious invective, and I suspect that tea parties and musicales may eventually transpire. Has Barnes’s egalitarian and exclusive vision of art finally been betrayed, or has it been preserved to the extent that history and circumstance allow?

**** Poem Of The Week: Of Many Worlds In This World By Margaret Lucas Cavendish ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jul/02/poem-many-worlds-margaret-cavendish?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Carol Rumens, The Guardian

**** “The ‘Busy’ Trap’s” Class Problem ****
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2012/07/02/the_busy_trap_tim_krieder_class_and_busyness_.html>
J. Bryan Lowder, Slate

> While both sound like lovely ways to relax and focus on writing, respectively, the likelihood that most readers will be able to join Krieder in his charmed indolence is low; so low, in fact, that his waxing romantic about the spontaneously chill life smacks of a kind of obnoxious classism which unfortunately undermines an otherwise provocative point.

**** Singapore Getting By, So Far ****
<http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/NG04Ae02.html>
Robert M Cutler, Asia Times

> Singapore's latest economic data permit some sense of relief but there is tough going ahead. The city state is one of the "canaries in the mineshaft" for Asian and indeed global economic growth because of its higher export dependence particularly with respect to developed market economies.

**** Negative Multiplier Effects Of Social Inequality ****
<http://singaporemind.blogspot.sg/2012/07/negative-multiplier-effects-of-social.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

> Small tweaks and reactive approaches means we are doing even less than the Hong Kong govt 10 years ago. We already know the outcome of doing too little, yet the PAP govt insists refuses to consider alternative ideas even those from the establishment and walks a path that is ideologically attractive to the PAP but leads to social outcomes that will become increasing unacceptable to Singaporeans.

**** There’s No Time Where Xenophobia Is Acceptable. At All. ****
<http://kirstenhan.me/2012/07/03/theres-no-time-where-xenophobia-is-acceptable-at-all/>
Kristen Han, Funny Little World

> Just because we maybe treated badly by our government, it doesn’t automatically follow that we become allowed to treat others badly. It makes no sense to vent our anger on the people who have no power to change things – we should direct this energy to those who do.

**** Pink Dot In Singapore Highlights Gay-Rights Debate ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2012/07/03/pink-dot-in-singapore-highlights-gay-rights-debate/>
Shibani Mahtani, Wall Street Journal

> A record turnout for the weekend’s Pink Dot gathering in Singapore offered the latest evidence that social attitudes toward gay residents are easing in the city-state, even though the government still criminalizes homosexuality.

**** Will SAF Follow US Move To Ditch Pixelised Uniforms? ****
<http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120703-356769.html>
Ethan Lou, My Paper

> What works for the United States, which has in recent years fought largely in desert conditions in the Middle East, might not work for Singapore, said Mr Ho Shu Huang, an associate research fellow at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS). "The SAF operates mainly in a jungle environment. As far as I can tell, there's no reason the SAF should go back (to non-pixelised uniforms)," said Mr Ho.

> Also, the financial investment and intensive research into the uniforms mean it would be impractical for the uniforms to be overhauled so soon.

Doesn't sound like any endorsement to the new uniform. :)

**** An “Enlightening ” Story Of Wages In Singapore? ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/07/an-enlightening-story-of-wages-in-singapore/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** Towards A Better NS Experience ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120703-0000031/Towards-a-better-NS-experience>
Galen Yeo, Today

> The SAF is the single biggest developer of people, hence the possibilities for development in areas of education and life training are enormous. It could potentially arm NS men with far more skills than their roles as soldiers.

> As an employer, I would like to get excited about hiring someone who has completed NS, instead of staring at the rift in his education and development.

**** Shell Should Reconsider Move To Remove Price Boards ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_817709.html>
Jolly Wee, Straits Times

> At a time when the Consumers Association of Singapore has been encouraging vendors to prominently display their prices, Shell's move seems like a direct snub to the consumer watchdog.

Previous:
• <a href="http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_815531.html"> Shell Stations To Take Down Price Boards</a> (Christopher Tan, Straits Times)