[MyAppleMenu] Jul 4, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jul 4 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** Get In Line: One Apple Store Per 216 Million Chinese ****
<http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/07/04/us-apple-china-idINBRE86309T20120704>
Melanie Lee, Reuters

> The shortage of retail stores and authorized re-sellers leaves ample room for unlicensed re-sellers to move in. Bad consumer experiences at these unauthorized shops are common and they run the risk of eventually eroding confidence in Apple's products, said David Wolf, chief executive of Beijing-based consultancy Wolf Group Asia.

> If Apple doesn't expand its network of stores and authorized re-sellers, it "loses not only near-term sales, it also endangers the sustainability of its success in China," he said.

> The pace of retail expansion may not be dictated entirely by Apple. Red tape often hampers foreign firms' expansion plans in China, and that may be holding back growth.

**** Why Thunderbolt Cables Will Be Expensive Until 2013 ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/why-thunderbolt-cables-will-be-expensive-until-2013/>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

> "Active cables need clock and data recovery chips on either end, even for optical cables," Mitchell said. "This makes Thunderbolt very robust—signal is cleaned up by the cable, even if a device is 'noisy.'"

> Combined with relatively high-quality copper cable, Thunderbolt quickly becomes rather expensive equipment.

**** Navigon For iOS Update Includes Google Street View ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/3/3134375/navigon-update-street-view-ios>
Louis Goddard, The Verge

**** Glenn Fleishman’s Writer Workflow ****
<http://www.macdrifter.com/2012/07/glenn-fleishmans-writer-workflow-2/>
Macdrifter

**** Tackling Launch Service Woes In OS X ****
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57466179-263/tackling-launch-service-woes-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** Apple Says Disagrees With Italy Antitrust Complaint ****
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/03/us-apple-italy-idUSBRE8620SB20120703>
Lisa Jucca, Reuters

> "We have appealed the recent decision of the (Italian) court as it was, in our view, based upon an incorrect interpretation of the law," Apple said in a statement emailed to Reuters.

> "We have introduced a number of measures to address the Italian competition authority concerns and we disagree with their latest complaint."

**** Apple MacBook Pro 13-Inch (Mid 2012) ****
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406670,00.asp>
Brian Westover, PC Magazine

> Apple has given the MacBook Pro 13-inch some real improvements, and the end result is a laptop that's worth buying—if you're due for a new one anyway.

**** Thinking Backwards ****
<http://brooksreview.net/2012/07/tablets-print/>
Ben Brooks, The Brooks Review

> Mims is missing the point when he says: “credible replacement for print”. That exact line of thinking is why magazines are not thriving on the iPad. So let me lay this out as clearly as I can:

> We do not need, and should not want, to replace print with digital.

**** Podcasts Review ****
<http://www.macworld.com/appguide/app.html?id=1224399&expand=true>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> People new to podcasts will find it useful and reasonably easy to operate. And the fact that Apple broke podcasts out of the confines of a busy store is a boon for fans (and soon-to-be-fans) of the spoken word. But with its occasionally quirky interface and lack of features such as iTunes and subscription syncing, it’s only a modestly capable first step. I’m hopeful that we’ll see some significant tweaks and improvements in the next iteration.

**** It’s Time To Build A Twitter-Free Twitter ****
<http://www.webmonkey.com/2012/07/its-time-build-a-twitter-free-twitter/>
Scott Gilbertson, Webmonkey

**** Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Review ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/3/3134347/android-4-1-jelly-bean-review>
Dieter Bohn, The Verge

**** My Fourth Of July ****
<http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2012/jul/03/my-fourth-july/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Charles Simic, New York Review Of Books

> Summer is the time when memories of other summers flood back. You lie on the beach, take a swim in the sea, or toss and turn at night unable to sleep because of the heat, and recall yourself doing the same in years past, or surprise yourself by remembering a half-forgotten, entirely different summer experience. The year is 1963. I’m on an army ship playing poker for high stakes in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. None of us has any money, but once we arrive in Brooklyn, get discharged and receive our pay, we’ll settle what we owe and collect what we have coming to us. I don’t believe this will happen, but I pretend I do and win and lose fortunes with the composure of a dissolute prince in a nineteenth-century Russian novel.

**** Khaw Defends NParks’ Purchase Of $2,200 Foldable Bicycle ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/07/khaw-defends-nparks-purchase-of-2200-foldable-bicycle/>
Cheong Yaoming, The Online Citizen

**** Release Of Report Of COI Into 15 And 17 December 2011 MRT Disruptions ****
<http://app.mot.gov.sg/News_Centre/Latest_News/NewsID/1FB5100022F93330/Release_of_Report_of_COI_into_15_and_17_December_2011_MRT_Disruptions.aspx>
Ministry Of Transport, Singapore Government

> The COI concludes that both the 15 and 17 December 2011 incidents were preventable, had adequate maintenance measures and checks been carried out.

> The recommendations pertaining to engineering and maintenance issues focus on prevention and detection of future problems related to the third rail system and the trains; and on improvements to the overall maintenance regime and regulatory framework. On incident management, the COI has called for greater clarity in the roles of, and for improved coordination between, the various stakeholders; improvements to various aspects of the incident management plan with emphasis on passenger well-being; and improvements in incident management readiness.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.smrt.com.sg/Portals/0/PDFs/About%20SMRT/Newsroom/2012/SMRT%20Media%20Statement%204%20July%202012.pdf">SMRT Statement On 4 July 2012</a> (SMRT): Since the December incidents, we have been implementing various initiatives to improve service reliability and incidence response. We have been doing this in collaboration with LTA. The improvements included many of the recommendations set out in the COI report. In some other areas, we have even gone beyond COI recommendations. We will review the COI recommendations to take in further enhancement measures as appropriate, in conjunction with LTA.
• <a href="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1211602/1/.html">Major train disruptions could have been prevented, says Committee of Inquiry</a> (Hetty Musfirah, Channel NewsAsia)
• <a href="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1211618/1/.html">COI report proposes 24 key recommendations</a> (Hetty Musfirah)

**** PAP Hougang Advisor Plans To Work With MP-elect Png ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1211566/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

> The People's Action Party's advisor to the Hougang grassroots organisations, Desmond Choo said he is working with the Hougang MP-elect to deliver the Lift Upgrading Programme for residents as soon as they can.

**** Progressive Wage Structure For Low-wage Transport & Logistic Workers ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1211533/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

> NTUC said the cluster aims to help at least 1,000 low-wage workers by the first quarter of next year.

> It will equip them with the skills to earn higher salaries and enhance their career opportunities.

"Career opportunities" seems like a very vague KPI.

**** Government Policies Are The Root Cause, Xenophobia Is Merely The Symptom ****
<http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7715>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

> The only way to address the issue of xenophobia is to implement policies and address the worries of Singaporeans competently and effectively. Otherwise, we would only be running around in circles looking for the tail that wags the dog.

**** An Eulogy ****
<http://singaporerebel.blogspot.sg/2012/07/eulogy.html>
Martyn See, Singapore Rebel

**** Dealing With Unemployment ****
<http://sumedhaj.blogspot.sg/2012/07/dealing-with-unemployment.html>
Bits Of Fluff

> And then, last month, I finally got a near-perfect job, something I really wanted, not something I was settling for, and my application for an employment visa in Singapore got rejected. The fact that I am contractually obligated to the Singapore government to work in the country for three years didn't help - I'm back to square one.

**** When More Is Less ****
<http://singaporedesk.blogspot.sg/2012/07/when-more-is-less.html>
Singapore Notes

**** NEA's Rental Hike Hurting Small Businesses ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/664-neas-rental-hike-hurting-small-businesses>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

> So, while new tenants enjoy lower rent, existing ones are being put out of business by the NEA raising rent after the initial lease period, and this is based on the valuation of a “private valuer” which the agency engages. As Mrs Chng told publichouse.sg previously, the method of evaluation of this “private valuer” is not transparent.

> This and the policy change have resulted in substantially different rental rates between the different stalls, although they are all mostly of the same size or space area. For example, the rent for the stall opposite Mrs Lai’s is S$168, while that of Mrs Lai’s is S$645.

NEA really screwed up with its rental-bidding policies, didn't it?

**** Think Singapore, Not The Country Of Origin ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_818160.html>
Lim Wan Keng, Straits Times

> Wouldn't it be more appropriate to use English phrases, or the title of the national anthem Majulah Singapura (Onward Singapore), rather than promote the athletes in a context that reminded the public more of their country of origin, instead of the country they have chosen to call home?

Hmmm…. Singaporeans cannot use Chinese language?

**** Preschool Education: Singapore Plays Catch-Up ****
<http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2012/07/04/preschool-education-singapore-plays-catch-up/>
Guanyinmao's Musings