[MyAppleMenu] Aug 9, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Aug 9 18:59:01 EDT 2012

**** Safari 6 A Slight But Sleek Upgrade For Apple's Browser ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168043/safari_6_a_slight_but_sleek_upgrade_for_apple_s_browser.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Nathan Alderman, Macworld

> I can’t recommend Safari 6 under Lion; its few interface improvements can’t outweigh its surly performance. Under Mountain Lion, it’s a blast to use, and its relatively few additions all prove worthwhile. Other browsers may give you more raw power in some respects, but Safari still delivers the most elegant and enjoyable Web experience.

I have to say this again: I simply love the two features in Safari that no other browsers (that I know of) have matched: smart zooming, and Reader.

**** Why You Really, Really, Really Need AppleCare On That Retina MacBook Pro ****
<http://gizmodo.com/5932881/why-you-really-really-really-need-applecare-on-that-retina-macbook-pro>
Brian Barrett, Gizmodo

> That Apple made the retina MacBook Pro a difficult nut to crack isn't a new revelation; iFixit already deemed it the "least repairable laptop" ever back in June. But now we know that if your fancy $2200+ does break, it's going to cost almost a new laptop's worth to fix it.

**** Backup ****
<http://shawnblanc.net/2012/08/backup-2/>
Shawn Blanc

**** How To Enable PHP In Mountain Lion ****
<http://lowendmac.com/crews/12lc/enable-php-mountain-lion.html>
Leaman Crews, Low End Mac

**** A Makeover Made In Google's Image ****
<http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10000872396390443517104577575420060344832-lMyQjAxMTAyMDAwODAwODg3Wj.html>
Amir Efrati, Wall Street Journal

**** Five Sites To Discover New Music ****
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2000268/five-sites-to-discover-new-music.html>
Carlos Rodela, TechHive

**** The Dinner By Herman Koch: Review ****
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/fictionreviews/9449356/The-Dinner-by-Herman-Koch-review.html>
David Annand, Telegraph

> Herman Koch's 'The Dinner' is a study of the repercussions of an act of violence.

**** Should A Wine List Educate Or Merely Flatter You? ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/dining/how-adventurous-should-a-wine-list-be.html?_r=1&ref=dining>
Eric Asimov, New York Times

> Are restaurants obliged to offer something for everybody? Or do they have the right to stay uncompromisingly true to a vision that may strike some as arcane?

**** Dueling Tunes Compete On Singapore’s National Day ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2012/08/09/dueling-tunes-compete-on-singapores-national-day/>
Shibani Mahtani, Wall Street Journal

> Fortunately for many Singaporeans, a number of other groups have been rushing forward to offer their own competing lyrical creations to sum up the Singapore spirit – an indication of Singapore’s increasingly creative landscape as the city-state embraces more feedoms online and with social media.

**** Banquet Foodcourt Chain Faces Cash Woes ****
<http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120809-364362.html>
AsiaOne

**** Mentos Singapore Wants You To Score On National Day ****
<http://www.fastcocreate.com/1681420/mentos-singapore-wants-you-to-score-on-national-day>
Co.Create

**** Singapore Startups Embrace Local Culture ****
<http://www.zdnet.com/singapore-startups-embrace-local-culture-7000002326/>
Ryan Huang, ZDNet

**** Singapore Trims Growth Forecast On Global Slowdown Risks ****
<http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-08/singapore-trims-growth-forecast-on-global-slowdown-risks>
Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

> Singapore cut the upper end of its economic growth forecast for 2012 as a global slowdown from Europe to China weighs on the island’s expansion.

**** My Home, My Nationality ****
<http://speakspokewritewrote.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/my-home-my-nationality/>
SpeakSpokeWriteWrote

> The Chinese saying is – you guo cai you jia (only if there is a nation can you have a home). I believe this is equally real – you jia cai you guo ( a nation can only exist if it is home)

**** Paradoxes Of Singapore ****
<http://www.terrificmentors.com/paradoxes-of-singapore/>
Sandy Oh, Terrific Mentors

> As we ponder our future for the next 50 years, I wish deeply for an expansion of our minds, behaviour and culture to achieve more well-rounded growth and maturity.

**** National Day And The Dilution Of Our Collective Story ****
<http://www.raviphilemon.net/2012/08/national-day-and-ilution-of-our.html>
Ravi Philemon

> I'd argue that the thing that makes us Singaporean is our belief in a common narrative - a narrative of equality, peace, progress, justice and democracy. And for this narrative to be passed down the generations, we need enough story-tellers. Without enough of them, what you'll get is only a very diluted narrative.

**** The Pledge ****
<http://article14.blogspot.sg/2012/08/the-pledge.html>
Article 14

> If we truly believe in the pledge that we take, we would be advocating a Constitutional amendment to impose a mandatory obligation on the PM to call for by elections whenever a seat falls vacant. If we truly believe in the pledge that we take, we would be advocating for an end to the GRC system. If we truly believe in the pledge that we take, we would oppose detention without trial. I can go on and on.

**** A Nation Looking For Itself ****
<http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/a-nation-looking-for-itself/>
Andrew Loh