[MyAppleMenu] Aug 8, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 8 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** More Evidence Apple Culture Is Changing: It 'Rickrolls' Developers ****
<http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-rick-roll-20120807,0,7915000.story>
Salvador Rodriguez, Los Angeles Times

> Apple was explaining the proper way to embed videos in iOS 6 and used the Rickroll as its example.

**** Tests Show Mountain Lion May Indeed Degrade Battery Life ****
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/08/tests-show-mountain-lion-may-indeed-degrade-battery-life/>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

> Some bit of software within Mountain Lion indeed appears to noticeably reduce battery life for Apple's portable Macs. Following on numerous reports lodged in Apple's support forums, we did some additional testing using our Retina MacBook Pro review unit, which seemed to lose approximately 38 percent of its previous 8-hour runtime after installing Mountain Lion. Apple support technicians are continuing to gather evidence from users reporting problems, though at least one user has been told that an update from the Mac App Store should address the issue.

**** Configure Destinations For Your Files With Dropzone ****
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1168059/configure_destinations_for_your_files_with_dropzone.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> However, the utility of Dropzone is multiplied by its extensibility. On the developer's site, you'll find an extensive list of additional actions created by users.

**** Repairing The Unrepairable: Macbook Pro With Retina Display Repair Guides ****
<http://ifixit.org/2983/repairing-the-unrepairable-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-repair-guides/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ifixit%2Fblog+%28iFixit%29>
IFixIt

**** Apple Posts New iPad Advert: “All On iPad” ****
<http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-posts-new-ipad-advert-all-on-ipad/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Graham Spencer, MacStories

**** Samsung’s 2010 Report Says Its Galaxy Would Be Better If It Were Just More Like The iPhone ****
<http://allthingsd.com/20120807/samsungs-2010-report-on-how-its-galaxy-would-be-better-if-it-were-more-like-the-iphone/>
John Paczkowski and Ina Fried, All Things D

**** After Epic Hack, Apple Suspends Over-the-Phone AppleID Password Resets ****
<http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-icloud-password-freeze/>
Nathan Olivarez-Giles And Mat Honan, Wired

> Apple on Tuesday ordered its support staff to immediately stop processing AppleID password changes requested over the phone, following the identity hacking of Wired reporter Mat Honan over the weekend, according to Apple employees.

> An Apple worker with knowledge of the situation, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Wired that the over-the-phone password freeze would last at least 24 hours. The employee speculated that the freeze was put in place to give Apple more time to determine what security policies needed to be changed, if any.

**** Mountain Lion Mail Perturbs Sending Behavior ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13189?rss>
Joe Kissell, TidBITS

> It turns out Mail in Mountain Lion does handle outgoing mail differently than before, and for some users, it can be frustratingly difficult to predict what account Mail will send messages from.

**** Apple Ads: A Disturbance In The Force ****
<http://kensegall.com/2012/08/apple-ads-a-disturbance-in-the-force/>
Ken Segall's Observatory

> What made her head spin was the fact that Apple has been telling people for decades that its products are easier to use than those of its competitors, and here they are saying that ordinary people need help.

**** The New Yorker Finally Goes iPhone ****
<http://www.macgasm.net/2012/08/07/the-new-yorker-finally-goes-iphone/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Joshua Schnell, Macgasm

**** Xcode 4.4.1 Released As Standalone App ****
<http://www.tuaw.com/2012/08/07/xcode-4-4-1-released-as-standalone-app/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

> Apple has finished smoothing out its Xcode releases with version 4.4.1, which finally brings Xcode out as a standalone app. Instead of just including the developer tools (such as legacy simulators and optional command-line tools), it now has sectioned those off into a separate downloads preference pane.

**** Caller ID In Messages Helps To Direct iMessages ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13186?rss>
Glenn Fleishman and Jeff Carlson, TidBITS

**** The Very Model Of A Modern Mountain Lion Document ****
<http://tidbits.com/article/13187>
Matt Neuburg, TidBITS

> What Mountain Lion brings to the Modern Document Model mix are two checkboxes, in the General system preference pane, affecting the behavior of applications when documents close, along with some new menu items.

**** Amazon Quietly Closes Security Hole After Journalist’s Devastating Hack ****
<http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/amazon-changes-policy-wont-add-new-credit-cards-to-accounts-over-the-phone/>
Nathan Olivarez-Giles, Wired

> Previously, Amazon allowed people to call in and change the email address associated with an Amazon account or add a credit card number to an Amazon account as long as the caller could identify him or herself by name, email address and mailing address — three bits of personal information that are easily found online.

> On Tuesday, Amazon handed down to its customer service department a policy change that no longer allows people to call in and change account settings, such as credit cards or email addresses associated with its user accounts.

**** How Not To Get Hacked ****
<http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2012/08/mat_honan_the_four_things_you_need_to_do_right_now_to_avoid_getting_hacked_.single.html>
Farhad Manjoo, Slate

> The four things you need to do right now to avoid the fate of tech writer Mat Honan.

**** Brave New World—medical Devices Use Biometrics To Prevent Hack Attacks ****
<http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/08/medical-device-hack-attacks/>
Dan Goodin, Ars Technica

> Computer scientists have proposed a wearable healthcare device that uses unique physiological signatures in a patient's heart rate or other physiological response to prevent tampering by malicious hackers.

**** Fifty Shades Of Grey Matter: The Psychology Of Sexual Arousal ****
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/brain-flapping/2012/aug/08/50-shades-grey-psychology-sexual-arousal>
Dean Burnett, The Guardian

> Whether it's obscenity trials or questionable literature, is it fair, or even possible, to dictate what someone is sexually aroused by?

**** Youths Stand Up For Singapore – On The MRT? ****
<http://sg.entertainment.yahoo.com/blogs/singapore-showbiz/youths-stand-singapore-mrt-081045873.html>
Elizabeth Soh, Yahoo!

**** Reshuffling The Deck ****
<http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/724-reshuffling-the-deck>
Publichouse.sg

**** Is This What We Really Want? ****
<http://politicalwritings.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/is-this-what-we-really-want/>
Political Writings

**** MOH Holdings Corporate Communications Director Resigns ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1218916/1/.html>
Sara Grosse / Vimita Mohandas, Channel NewsAsia

> Though there was no evidence of fraud or criminal wrong-doing, MOH Holdings decided to terminate Miss Chang's services, and met with her to communicate these matters. Miss Chang offered to resign instead.

**** Yahoo! Reaches Settlement On Counterclaim Against SPH ****
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/yahoo--reaches-settlement-on-counterclaim-against-sph.html>
Yahoo!

> In line with the settlement, Yahoo! has withdrawn its counterclaim, and each party will bear their own legal costs.

> SPH’s initial claims against Yahoo! are still pending.

**** National Day: MediShield Premiums Increase By Up To 511%? ****
<http://leongszehian.com/?p=1781>
Leong Sze Hian

**** SMRT Bus Drivers Appeal To Union Chief Lim Swee Say ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/08/smrt-bus-drivers-appeal-to-union-chief-lim-swee-say/>
The Online Citizen

**** Gimmicks ****
<http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.sg/2012/08/gimmicks.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

**** Why Chinese Officials Are In Love With The Singapore Model ****
<http://seekingalpha.com/article/785611-why-chinese-officials-are-in-love-with-the-singapore-model>
Kyle Spencer, Seeking Alpha

> "'The American, Japanese and Soviet systems, we have eaten them raw and skinned them alive, copying them entirely," writes central committee member General Liu Yuan. Unfortunately, Singapore's success is a product of things the CPC can't mimic by passing a few reforms: its geographical location, meritocracy, strict anti-corruption laws, international partnerships and multicultural identity are unique to Singapore. Investors may wish to consider Singapore's relative safety and historically excellent returns when adding Asian equities to their portfolio.

**** BTO Project Too Near Our Flats, Say Residents ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120808-0000042/BTO-project-too-near-our-flats,-say-residents>
Sumita Sreedharan, Today

**** HDB Estates May See On-demand Lighting ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120808-0000037/HDB-estates-may-see-on-demand-lighting>
Woo Sian Boon, Today

> As town councils' energy bills balloon, some common areas at public housing estates could be lit by light-emitting diode (LED) lights that dim automatically when there is no human activity.

Remember to swing your arms if you want to sit over there to read a newspaper.

**** Have They Solved The Homeless Sleeping In Public Places? ****
<http://gintai.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/they-solved-the-homeless-sleeping-in-public-places/>
Gintai_昇泰