[MyAppleMenu] Apr 9, 2012

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Apr 9 18:59:00 EDT 2012

**** More On The Thunderbolt Cable Availability Front ****
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/more-on-the-thunderbolt-cable-availability-front/12719?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%2FApple+%28ZDNet+The+Apple+Core%29>
David Morgenstern, ZDNet

**** When Apple Called Kentucky ****
<http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120408/BUSINESS/304080065/When-Apple-called-Kentucky?odyssey=nav%7Chead>
The Courier-Journal

> One of the most innovative gadgets in a generation — the Apple iPhone — would not have hit the market in 2007 were it not for a 60-year-old glass factory in this Central Kentucky town of 8,300 people.

**** The iPad As A Generic Name For Tablet? Here Comes The Cease-and-Desist Brigade ****
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikamorphy/2012/04/08/the-ipad-as-a-generic-name-for-tablet-here-comes-the-cease-and-desist-brigade/>
Erika Morphy, Forbes

> But that scenario is just not going to happen and not just because the iPad is so closely intertwined with Apple‘s identity. Without a doubt Apple will react to any signs of iPad replacing “tablet computer” by consumers and companies the way I would if I saw a rat scurrying about the kitchen: with revulsion, horror and an immediate call to the professionals with instructions to kill, kill, kill. Which is basically how Apple responded several years ago when “Pod” began to morph into generic use.

**** Push Notification And The Beginner’s Mind ****
<http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/08/push-notification-and-the-beginners-mind/>
Steve GIllmor, TechCrunch

**** One Laptop Per Child Program Not Improving Math Or Language Test Scores, According To Study ****
<http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/7/2932925/olpc-results-language-math-test-scores-idb>
Dante D'Orazio, The Verge

**** What’s The Big Idea? ****
<http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/1cc50e4c-7d81-11e1-81a5-00144feab49a.html#axzz1rYRjOKuX>
Jennie Erdal, Financial Times

> Dostoevsky tackled free will, Tolstoy the meaning of life – but is it still possible to write philosophical novels?

**** Counter Intelligence: A Marijuana-infused Meal? Well ... ****
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-0407-gold-essay-20120407,0,317270.story>
Jonathan Gold, Los Angeles Times

> The star of this meal is marijuana, but it's the aftermath of this secret dinner that might surprise you.

**** Book Review: 'Suddenly, A Knock On The Door' By Etgar Keret ****
<http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-etgar-keret-20120408,0,5905180.story>
Carolyn Kellogg, Los Angeles Times

> Keret writes short fiction — often, very short. It's astonishing what he can do in just two pages: go from funny to bizarre to touching to satiric to meta to surprising and surreal. There are 35 stories in this slender paperback, and sometimes they are just strange or sad or sweet enough to make you set the book down and walk away, to give them time to sink in.

**** “Darwin’s Devices”: Here Come The Robot Fish ****
<http://www.salon.com/2012/04/09/darwins_devices_here_come_the_robot_fish/>
Laura Miller, Salon

> Fish, without a doubt, gotta swim, but how do they do it? And how, over millenniums of evolution, did they get to be so good at it? These two questions have driven the career of John Long, a professor of biology and cognitive science at Vassar College. Long is so into fish that his primal scene of intellectual seduction involved a Ph.D. trying to get him to join her team by taking him out for coffee and asking, “Have you seen the vertebral column of a marlin?” Thus was Long launched into a course of study that would ultimately lead him to the improbable task of making robot fish.

**** Audiobooks: Are They Really The Same As Reading? ****
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/books/ct-prj-0408-audiobooks-20120406,0,7188279.story>
Jenni Laidman, Chicago Tribune

> Audiobooks are good. They're enjoyable. They're wonderfully efficient. But I wonder if the audiobook experience is quite as full and as nuanced as reading.

**** Faculty Vote Draws Attention In Singapore ****
<http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2012/apr/09/faculty-vote-draws-attention-in-singapore/>
Tapley Stephenson, Yale Daily News

> Though several Singaporean residents, National University of Singapore professors and NUS administrators interviewed said they do not expect the resolution to lead to major changes at Yale-NUS, the jointly run liberal arts college set to open in 2013, they said the resolution lacked a nuanced understanding of Singapore's political situation. Four NUS administrators expressed disappointment to see the resolution passed, and several added that they agreed with the viewpoint of University President Richard Levin, who said he did not support the resolution because it had a "sense of moral superiority."

**** Education Minister On Foreign Scholars Fulfilling Service Obligations ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1194048/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** Getting A Better Read On Asian Inflation ****
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/10/business/global/getting-a-better-read-on-asian-inflation.html>
Reuters

**** In A Liberal Direction ****
<http://kentridgecommon.com/?p=14601>
Bryan Cheang, The Kent Ridge Common

**** Minister: Singapore Very Concerned About Inflation ****
<http://www.cnbc.com/id/46990717>
Associated Press

> Singapore trade and industry minister Lim Hng Kiang says his country's central bank is "very concerned" that inflation has remained stubbornly high despite slowing economic growth.

Also: <a href="http://business.asiaone.com/Business/News/Story/A1Story20120409-338503.html">Singapore Expected To Keep Monetary Policy On Hold</a> (Reuters).

**** No Change To Water Rates This Year: Balakrishnan ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1194012/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

**** No Quota On Number Of Patients Polyclinics See Daily, Says Health Minister ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1194013/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> He said registration for patients may sometimes close before official consultation hours to allow time for registered patients to be seen by the doctors.

**** Transport Minister Lui On Management Of Bus Drivers ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1194011/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** Creating The Next Generation Of Tamil Storytellers ****
<http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2012/04/09/creating-the-next-generation-of-tamil-storytellers/>
Ramesh Chakrapani, Wall Street Journal

**** Govt To Minimise Major MRT Disruptions: Lui Tuck Yew ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_786869.html>
Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times

> The Government will try to minimise major disruptions of more than 30 minutes, Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew said on Monday, even as he warned that some disruptions and defects on the heavily-used MRT were 'unavoidable'.

Disruptions to be kept under 30 minutes… or else, what?

**** Lift Upgrading For All Eligible Flats By End-2014 ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1193999/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> Lee Yi Shyan said: "One of the reasons of course, compared to condominiums or new flats built on a greenfield site. The LUP work has essentially, to be constrained by existing site, tight site. And the hours of construction and so on has to be limited to minimise inconveniences and noise pollution to the residents. The other, the observation about whether we could, instead of treating the whole precinct as one work site, whether we can go block to block, HDB is studying that."

**** National Development Minister Khaw On Relevance Of Bomb Shelters ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1193997/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

> He was replying to a question in Parliament about whether bomb shelters were still relevant.

> Mr Khaw said all developers, including the HDB, are required to provide such shelters within their residential developments.

Am I reading this wrong, but did Mr Khaw say that bomb shelters are relevant because the law says so?

**** No Decision From Malaysia On Eastern Dispersal Link Toll Charges ****
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1193995/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

> "Our consistent practice is that we peg our tolls to match those set by Malaysia. This should apply to all vehicles using the Causeway or the second link regardless of whether they are Singapore-registered or foreign-registered," said Mr Lui.

> "Depending on the eventual details of Malaysia's proposal, we will then see how best we should apply this matching principle."

**** Disassembling GRC System Benefits PAP ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/04/disassembling-grc-benefits-pap-1/>
Shiwen Yap, The Online Citizen

**** The Judiciary Conundrum ****
<http://singaporerecalcitrant.blogspot.com/2012/04/judiciary-conundrum.html>
Singapore Recalcitrant

**** More Visiting A&E, Many For Mild Complaints ****
<http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120408-338324.html>
Koh Hui Theng, The New Paper

**** A Face That I Still See ****
<http://thelongnwindingroad.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/a-face-that-i-still-see/>
The Long And Winding Road

> One of my favourite roads to take a journey on in Singapore is a stretch of Mandai Road that has got to be one of the more gorgeous drives in Singapore. It is a stretch that takes you past an area that is reminiscent of an older world at its junction with Sembawang road, around a bend where the road starts to rise northwards to an area where a short stretch of it runs along a body of water that in reflecting the colours of the setting sun takes on the appearance of a magical world.

**** TCs And CCs Say No To Healthcare Town Hall Meetings ****
<http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/5210-tcs-and-ccs-say-no-to-healthcare-town-hall-meetings/>
Singaore Democratic Party

**** Safety Measures At Junctions ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_786701.html>
Helen Lim, Land Transport Authority, Straits Times

> The LTA constantly monitors the road network to ensure that existing measures are working for all road users, and determine if further infrastructural improvements are needed to improve safety. However, we will also require the cooperation and vigilance of all road users to exercise care when they are on the road, in order to keep our roads safe for all users.

Also: <a href="http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_786669.html">Pedestrians Have To Ensure Own Safety</a> (Michael Loh, Straits Times): Pedestrians must realise that each extra second they are on the road is a second more they are exposed to danger.

**** Doctors Crying Foul ****
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2012/04/doctors-crying-foul.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

> Inspection and certification of medical instruments are going to cost a bomb. And the doctors are unhappy and rightly so as the cost of medical services is already high and now adding more cost. This is the syndrome of creating jobs and income for doing more and more. Aren’t these equipment manufacturers subject to many international regulations and standards to ensure that their equipment is safe for use?

**** The Emporium Legend Lim Tow Yong (1925-2012) ****
<http://remembersingapore.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/the-emporium-legend-lim-tow-yong/>
Remember Singapore

**** Domestic Workers And Days Off: Faith And Flexibility, Not Micromanagement, Needed ****
<http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/domestic-workers-and-days-off-faith-and-flexibility-not-micromanagement-needed/>
Kwan Jin Yao, Guanyinmiao's Musings

**** The Infinite Wisdom Of The Taxi Driver ****
<http://alawstudentinsingapore.wordpress.com/2012/04/08/the-infinite-wisdom-of-the-taxi-driver/>
Elizabeth Garcia, A Law Student In Singapore

> And I always like to talk to the drivers, especially if I’m on my own, mostly they like to know where I’m from, what I’m doing in Singapore, what I like, as well as give a very earnest account of their life as a taxidriver in the Little Red Dot.

**** Are Singaporean Politicians Smarter Than Taiwanese Policy Makers? ****
<http://dotseng.wordpress.com/2012/04/08/are-singaporean-politicians-smarter-than-taiwanese-policy-makers/>
Dotseng

> If Tharman had just taken the trouble to do some simple math, he would have realized that Taiwan has one of the lowest inflation % rates in the whole world! Unlike Singapore where runaway inflation is the name of the game to deliberately spur the real estate boom. And unlike Singapore where the aged are left to fend for themselves – in Taiwan, workers have <i>real</i> not mickey mouse unions to protect their rights and interest.

**** We Deserve Red Card For Expat Package, Says StarHub ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_786813.html>
Jalelah Abu Baker & Kezia Toh, Straits Times

> StarHub on Sunday apologised for running an expatriates-only football promotion that offered gifts worth $50.

Also: <a href="http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/international/cable-channel-angers-singaporeans-with-expatriates-only-package/510146'>Cable Channel Angers Singaporeans With Expatriates-Only Package</a> (The Jakarta Globe).

**** Conflict At The Heart Of Yale-NUS ****
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/04/conflict-at-the-heart-of-yale-nus/>
Gordon Lee, The Online Citizen

**** 咖啡山研究者新发现 坟墓后人拥有契约 ****
<http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp120409_004.shtml>
陈能端, 联合早报

> 受道路工程影响的武吉布朗坟墓,部分租用契约仍未到期。据了解,目前有些人手上还握有这些租契,而他们至今还没有获得当局通知租约是否已经被终止。

**** Station Was 'Part Of Singapore Way Of Life': Rediffusion Listeners ****
<http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_786806.html>
Daryl Chin & Royston Sim, Straits Times

> Longtime listeners and radio veterans on Sunday described the impending closure of Rediffusion as a loss of what had been part of the Singapore way of life.

Also:
<ul>
</ul>

**** Protecting Our Shared Cultural Heritage Is Singapore’s Psychological Defence ****
<http://paradoxpapers.wordpress.com/2012/04/08/3-protecting-our-shared-cultural-heritage-is-singapores-psychological-defence/>
The ParadoX Files

> And I was asking myself, after all that NS, if ever war breaks out in Singapore, what should the soldiers of our country be defending? Vaults of gold in the IR?

**** We Must Choose Not To Become A Market Society ****
<http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120409-0000043/We-must-choose-not-to-become-a-market-society>
Soon Sze Meng, Today