[MyAppleMenu] Sep 29, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 29 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Smarts 1.0 For iTunes <http://www.macworld.com/article/162548/2011/09/smarts_for_itunes.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

For smart-playlist junkies, Smarts (Mac App Store, by Doug Adams of Doug’s AppleScripts for iTunes fame, is a handy (and free!) utility that works with iTunes to provide a few of the smart-playlist features many people have long wished iTunes itself offered.

**** Control Multiple Macs With Teleport <http://www.macstories.net/reviews/teleport-for-lion/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

Teleport is extremely simple in what it does, although it uses some advanced technology to accomplish it: once installed in System Preferences, Teleport allows you to move your cursor (and keyboard) between multiple Macs. Teleport recognizes Macs “shared” on the same network, and through a system similar to Apple’s “hot corners” and based on Bonjour, it lets you “teleport” the mouse across screens.

**** Apple Thunderbolt Display Teardown <http://www.ifixit.com/blog/blog/2011/09/28/apple-thunderbolt-display-teardown/>
iFixit

All in all, we were struck by the Thunderbolt Display’s ease of disassembly, and its 8 out of 10 repairability score reflects our admiration. But what did we find inside? Lots and lots of goodies that usually don’t come standard with an LCD monitor. Although monitors usually don’t cost as much as a laptop, either.

**** Daily Mac App: Soulver <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/09/28/daily-mac-app-soulver/>
Megan Lavey-Heaton, TUAW

Soulver, which has billed itself in the past as a "plain English" calculator, has been around for the past few years as a complex calculator with a simple interface.

**** Show Dates And Times In Mail's Message List <http://www.macworld.com/article/162477/2011/09/show_dates_and_times_in_mails_message_list.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** iTunes Music Store Goes Live In 12 New European Countries <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/28/itunes-music-store-goes-live-in-12-new-european-countries/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

**** How To Make iTunes Play Music On A Daily Schedule <http://mac360.com/2011/09/how-to-make-itunes-play-music-on-a-daily-schedule/>
Wil Gomez, Mac360

Daypart is a Mac app that does just that. It plays iTunes playlists on a schedule. It’s not a feature everyone needs, but if you need it, you know it.

**** Apple Offers Thunderbolt Display Flicker Issue Fix <http://fairerplatform.com/2011/09/apple-offers-thunderbolt-display-flicker-issue-fix/>
FairerPlatform

**** Amazon's Silk Web Browser Adds New Twist To Old Idea <http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/09/amazons-silk-web-browser-adds-new-twist-to-old-idea.ars>
Ryan Paul, Ars Technica

**** Mom’s A Drunk, Dad’s A Writer: A Recipe For Disaster And A Memoir <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/29/books/fiction-ruined-my-family-by-jeanne-darst-review.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Janet Maslin, New York Times

As its title indicates, “Fiction Ruined My Family” adds a literary aspect to these standard-issue ingredients.

**** Reading <http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/242614>
David Dominguez, Poetry Foundation

**** Time To Make Marry In Singapore! <http://thinkingbetterthinkingmeta.blogspot.com/2011/09/time-to-make-marry-in-singapore.html>
Sam Ho, Sam's Thoughts

If the government wants to have a holistic approach to policy, it should first take greater responsibility of its policies and genuinely accept that its decisions, past and present, create the means for a society to exhibit such tendencies. Don't blame globalisation and westernisation and any other phenomena you think doesn't involve you.

**** Why Import Graduates If There Is Oversupply? <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110929-0000383/Why-import-graduates-if-there-is-oversupply?>
John Chan Chi Yung, Today

I am a little confused about the fear that doing so may result in graduates being under-employed or unemployed. This is especially so when part of the requirement for S-Pass and Employment Pass holders is a university degree or equivalent.

For the government to allow these degree-holders into Singapore, it implies there is a need for them.

**** UN Review Is About Every Human's Right <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_717783.html>
Tim Mou Hui, Straits Times

Singapore has done well economically through the years, and has made baby steps towards political maturity.

Perhaps it is now time for the Republic to become a more moral nation as well, and demonstrate that we are more than just a soulless corporate-state.

**** Hear UN Out About Human Rights <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_717673.html>
Liang Kaicheng, Straits Times

**** 竞争局:Sistic扼杀竞争 应废除独家协定以重整售票业 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110929_008.shtml>
郑靖豫, 联合早报

新加坡竞争局认为应重整售票服务业,撤销所有的独家票务协定,让业者重新开始。

**** The Anti-ISA Circus Is In Town <http://singaporekopitok.blogspot.com/2011/09/anti-isa-circus-is-in-town.html>
Singapore Kopi Tok

**** s377A - Do Not Disturb? <http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/features/item/105-s377a-do-not-disturb?>
Lisa Li, Publichouse.sg

Even an unsuccessful constitutional challenge in court would openly address various civil liberty issues, and set the stage for future discussion. However, if a constitutional challenge is denied in spite of what the judges themselves describe as AGC's "slippery slope" argument and "circular logic", this would beg many more questions why - but for now, the jury is still out.

**** New Malware Threat To Internet Banking Applications <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1156206/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The Association of Banks in Singapore (ABS) has issued a warning against a new computer malware dubbed "SpyEye" that targets local Internet banking applications.

It said whenever the customer tries to access the bank's Internet banking application from an infected computer, the malware attempts to create a fraudulent third party beneficiary addition and funds transfer.

**** Slimming Company Defends Its Controversial Ad <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/slimming-company-defends-its-controversial-ad.html>
Liyana Low, Yahoo!

The slimming company that stirred public debate with its controversial weight-loss commercial said on Wednesday that their advertisement was not discriminatory and did not “breach any law”.

**** Abercrombie & Fitch Is Too Sexy For Singapore <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/shop/abercrombie-fitch-too-sexy-singapore-833818>
CNNGo

What's curious though is the timing of this suspension. The advertisement was, um, erected in June, and has already been seen (and talked about) by many Singaporeans.

**** No Review Into Detention Of ex-ISA Detainees: MHA <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1156285/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's home affairs ministry said it sees no reason to conduct a review into the detention of the 16 ex-ISA detainees via a Commission of Inquiry.

It said the detentions under the Internal Security Act (ISA) were made for valid security reasons and properly dealt with according to the law, and that every case was reviewed at that time by the Advisory Board chaired by a Supreme Court judge.