[MyAppleMenu] Sep 30, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 30 18:59:01 EDT 2011

**** Psystar Loses Appeal Against Apple <http://www.macgasm.net/2011/09/29/psystar-loses-appeal-apple/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Corey Tamas, Macgasm

You may remember Psystar from the news of 2008, when Apple filed a suit against them for copyright infringement. Since then, Psystar’s appeal against the 2010 ruling against them has been shot down and this may well be the end of their story.

**** Apple Tells Education: No More Boxed Software (Except Logic) <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/apple-tells-education-no-more-boxed-software-except-logic/11240>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

**** Widespread MobileMe Outage Affecting Mail, Me.com, And Find My iPhone <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/30/widespread-mobileme-outage-affecting-mail-me-com-and-find-my-iphone/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

A number of Apple's MobileMe services appear to have been down for several hours now, and Apple's system status page indicates that the company is experiencing issues with MobileMe Mail, me.com web apps, and Find My iPhone.

**** Apple Removes Click-wheel Games From iTunes As iPod Classic Lives Its Last Days <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/30/apple_removes_ipod_classic_click_wheel_games_from_itunes_store.html>
Neil Hughes, AppleInsider

As Apple is rumored to discontinue its aging hard-drive-based iPod classic, the company has removed a section from the iTunes Store devoted to click-wheel games.

**** Camera Plus Pro 4.0 Adds Live Filters And Shake-free Video Capture <http://www.macworld.com/article/162595/2011/09/camera_plus_pro_4_0_adds_live_filters_and_shake_free_video_capture.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Alexandra Chang, Macworld

**** iPhone 101: Using iOS Accessibility To Make Text Larger <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/09/30/iphone-101-using-ios-accessibility-to-make-text-larger/>
Matt Tinsley, TUAW

**** Apple TV To Launch In 7 New European Countries Next Tuesday <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/30/apple-tv-set-to-launch-in-7-new-european-countries-next-tuesday/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

**** Analog 1.0 <http://www.macworld.com/article/162582/2011/09/analog_1_0_gem.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** Use Automator To Label Files From The Keyboard <http://www.macworld.com/article/162512/2011/09/use_automator_to_label_files_from_the_keyboard.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Macworld

**** What Goes Around, Comes Around <http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/09/what_goes_around_comes_around.html>
Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

Maureen Dowd knew what she was doing. In quoting my own line against me, she wrote: "Karma's a Fury." Yes it is. Karma, the dictionary informs me, "refers to the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences." Yes it does.

**** The Importance Of Stupidity In Scientific Research <http://jcs.biologists.org/content/121/11/1771.full>
Martin A. Schwartz, Journal Of Cell Science

One of the beautiful things about science is that it allows us to bumble along, getting it wrong time after time, and feel perfectly fine as long as we learn something each time.

**** Electricity Tariffs To Fall <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110930-0000281/Electricity-tariffs-to-fall>
Ong Dai Lin, Today

After three quarterly rises in electricity tariffs in a row, households may find some relief as SP Services announced yesterday that it will lower the tariffs for the fourth quarter.

Between next month and December, electricity tariffs will decrease by an average of 1.2 per cent as "lower fuel oil prices resulted in lower power generation costs", SP Services said.

**** The Trouble With Doctors <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/09/trouble-with-doctors.html>
Singapore Notes

**** Overturning Lee Kuan Yew's Legacy In Singapore <http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/68307/amitav-acharya/overturning-lee-kuan-yews-legacy-in-singapore?page=show>
Amitav Acharya, Foreign Affairs

Singapore's recent election probably does not necessarily mark an irreversible turn toward genuine multiparty democracy.

**** 没O水准也可受训成婴幼儿保育师 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110930_005.shtml>
王润, 联合早报

为配合社青体部推出的“婴幼儿教育发展框架”提供人力资源,劳发局将推出三个崭新的资格认证和培训课程,让之前达不到学历要求者,加入学前教育行业。

**** Singapore Dollars And Gold Are The Only Safe Havens <http://www.financeasia.com/News/275237,singapore-dollars-and-gold-are-the-only-safe-havens.aspx>
Sameera Anand, FinanceAsia

**** CPF Special, Medisave & Retirement Accounts To Remain Unchanged At 4% <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_718363.html>
Straits Times

The Special, MediSave and Retirement Accounts (SMRA) will remain unchanged at four per cent for another year, the Central Provident Fund (CPF) Board revealed on Friday. This is because of the heightened uncertainty in the global economy and continued low interest rate environment, the CPF Board explained.

**** Leading Singaporean Supermarket Chain Says “No” To Shark Fin <http://wwf.panda.org/wwf_news/?201825/Leading-Singaporean-supermarket-chain-says-no-to-shark-fin>
WWF

Prominent Singapore-based supermarket chain Cold Storage has joined the WWF Singapore Sustainable Seafood Group and marked its commitment with an announcement that it will stop selling all shark fin and shark products in its 42 outlets across the country.

Cold Storage is the first supermarket in Singapore to implement a “no shark fins policy”. It is also the nation’s first retail food chain to source and offer a wide range of sustainable seafood recommended by WWF and offer Marine Stewardship Council (MSC)-certified seafood such as the hake fillet from South Africa.

**** M1's New Mobile Plans For The Deaf & Hard-of-hearing <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_718343.html>
Ernest Luis, Straits Times

M1 Limited (M1) announced on Friday, the launch of two new mobile service plans exclusively for clients and members of The Singapore Association for The Deaf (SADeaf).

**** Understanding Meritocracy <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/09/understanding-meritocracy/>
Elvin Ong, The Online Citizen

I propose five self-reflective questions that can help in understanding and clarifying the assumptions and consequences of meritocracy.

**** 新加坡人对待华语的扭曲心态 <http://sapiencecomm.wordpress.com/2011/09/29/%E6%96%B0%E5%8A%A0%E5%9D%A1%E4%BA%BA%E5%AF%B9%E5%BE%85%E5%8D%8E%E8%AF%AD%E7%9A%84%E6%89%AD%E6%9B%B2%E5%BF%83%E6%80%81/>
sapiencecomm

我们常说华语是我们的‘母语’,不得不去学习她,可是对于这个‘母亲’却又不太看得起。似乎这个母亲是不太能登大雅之堂的土包子,只能在非正式的场合用, 而且使用时还不能比英文大声。

**** New Parliament Seating Plan For MPs <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1156537/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong will be flanked by his two deputy prime ministers, Teo Chee Hean and Tharman Shanmugaratnam.

Sitting directly opposite the prime minister is the secretary general of the Workers' Party, Mr Low Thia Khiang.