[MyAppleMenu] Sep 28, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 28 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Apple Announces iPhone 5 Event For Oct. 4 <http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/09/27/apple-announces-iphone-5-event-for-oct-4/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

**** The Small Monitor Experiment <http://brooksreview.net/2011/09/smaller-not-better/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheBrooksReview+%28The+Brooks+Review%29>
Ben Brooks, The Brooks Review

I have always believed that you are far more likely to use, and be productive with, something that you love. I just didn’t even come close to liking this setup.

**** Disney’s “Appmates” Turns The iPad Into A Track For Toy Cars <http://www.macgasm.net/2011/09/27/disneys-appmates-turns-ipad-track-toy-cars/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Corey Tamas, Macgasm

Disney is launching a new line of toys based on the movie Cars 2 that turns the iPad into a neat little game board for you (er… I mean your kids) to play on. Disney calls the software “Appmates”, and it’s free to download but you can’t do much with it unless you’ve got one of Disney’s little toy car characters to push around on the screen.

**** Firefox 7 Improves Browsing Speed, Developer Tools <http://www.macworld.com/article/162539/2011/09/firefox_7_improves_browsing_speed_developer_tools.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Elizabeth Fish, Macworld

Mozilla has released its final version of Firefox 7, introducing subtle changes such as hidden URL prefixes, bug fixes and under-the-hood improvements. Rolled out six weeks after Mozilla shipped Firefox 6 to fix a number of bug issues, the latest update is the third edition of the developer’s rapid-ship cycle.

**** Mac OS X Lion Server <http://www.macworld.com/article/162381/2011/09/mac_os_x_lion_server.html#lsrc.rss_main>
John C. Welch, Macworld

Unlike previous versions of Mac OS X Server, Lion Server is not a simple upgrade. Regardless of the price of this server package, the massive changes at every level of Lion Server—including the removal of some features customers rely on—make this upgrade one you’ll want to think hard about, regardless of price. The documentation and fit-and-finish issues will also help sway your decision on whether to upgrade or not.

**** Easier Ways To Read Files On The Go <http://www.macworld.com/article/162423/2011/09/easier_ways_to_read_files_on_the_go.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** The Polynomial - Space Of The Music <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=1148>
David Allen, Inside Mac Games

In terms of value and replayability, I would say this modestly-priced game scores very high if you are the kind of person who loves playing around with game settings - there are really almost infinite possibilities in terms of the visuals you can generate, and how the visual artifacts you create respond to music.

The game is very simple. There's only one kind of enemy, and one thing to do: kill them! If you love tweaking and modding, you could have endless fun with this game. There are as many possibilities in this game as there are songs in the whole world!

**** Will Robots Steal Your Job? <http://www.slate.com/id/2304447/?from=rss>
Farhad Manjoo, Slate

We wrote a computer program that replicates Jason Kottke. How does Robottke compare to the Web's best link blogger?

**** The Dead Roads <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/sep/27/the-dead-roads-dw-wilson?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
DW Wilson, The Guardian

**** Flick Chicks <http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2011/10/03/111003sh_shouts_kaling?currentPage=all>
Mindy Kaling, The New Yorker

I am always surprised at what movie studios think people will want to see. I’m even more surprised at how often they are correct.

**** Chicken’s Attraction Is Truly Skin Deep <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/28/dining/chicken-skin-beguiles-chefs.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
SARAH DiGREGORIO, New York Times

Nate Gutierrez, the chef and owner of Nate’s Taco Truck and Nate’s Taco Truck Stop in Richmond, Va., could not stop snacking on the skin left over from his roast chickens. So about six months ago, he decided to make the skin crisp on the flattop and offer it in a taco. The chicken-skin tacos sell out whenever they are on the menu.

**** How To Hatch A Dinosaur <http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/09/ff_chickensaurus/all/1>
Thomas Hayden, Wired

What we’re trying to do is take our chicken, modify it, and make a chickensaurus.

**** Credit Card Rule Flexible, Says MAS <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_717416.html>
Angelina Fernandez, Monetary Authority Of Singapore, Straits Times

This is why we allow individuals above 55 years old to qualify for a credit card if they meet a minimum annual income requirement of $15,000, which is lower than the $30,000 minimum requirement that applies to other applicants.

**** Two Party System, Who Decides? <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/09/two-party-system-who-decides.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** When Will They Ever Learn <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/09/when-will-they-ever-learn.html>
Singapore Notes

The worrying aspect of this sorry saga is that while Leeson left only a black-eye on MAS, the UBS debacle is hurting us where it counts - our hard earned sovereign funds.

**** 新加坡人何去何从? <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110928_001.shtml>
林建南, 联合早报

有人说,新加坡国小民寡,不容易产生政治人才,要发掘优秀的政治领导人才,那就难上加难。难道我们真的如此悲观,相信我们就找不到政治优秀人才的宿命论吗?往深一层去思索,上述政治思想的变化,与在野党人才在选举中的良好表现,是否会让我们改变这种看法?

**** No Democracy Without Human Rights: Activists <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4973-no-democracy-without-human-rights-activists>
Singapore Democratic Party

**** In Singapore, It’s Save And Be Saved <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/commentary/neil-reynolds/in-singapore-its-save-and-be-saved/article2182024/>
Neil Reynolds, The Globe And Mail

Person for person, Singaporeans are the most diligent savers in the world – and among the least taxed. They are apparently quite content to keep it that way.

**** One Step Closer To The Abolition Of s377A In Singapore? <http://www.fridae.asia/newsfeatures/2011/09/27/11214.one-step-closer-to-the-abolition-of-s377a-in-singapore>
Ng Yi-Sheng, Fridae

**** Is Singapore Being Built On Stolen Ground? <http://grbusinessonline.com/wp/?p=492>
Ben Kritz, GR Business Online

How long the rest of Singapore’s Southeast Asian neighbors will continue to put up with its appetite for growth encouraging corruption and environmental damage in their own countries is up to them. For their part, leaders and planners in the Lion City seem to be hoping nobody notices just quite yet.

**** Singapore's Total Population Expands 2.1% <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1155998/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's total population stood at 5.18 million as at end June this year. According to latest statistics from the Population Trends 2011 report, there were 3.79 million Singapore residents.

Of which, 3.26 million are Singapore citizens and 530,000 are permanent residents.

**** Singapore Rewrites Funding Rules <http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/singapore-rewrites-funding-rules?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Film Business Asia

Singapore is to tear down its government film financing infrastructure and replace it with five simplified schemes that cross all aspects of media and entertainment.

**** The Ministry Of Home Affairs’ Non-reply To Charges Against The Internal Security Act <http://minimyna.wordpress.com/2011/09/28/the-ministry-of-home-affairs’-non-reply-to-charges-against-the-internal-security-act/>
Mini Myna

If MHA simply persists with its blinkered regurgitation of clichés, similarly, the course of history would be changed, for the credibility and public confidence in MHA and other governmental institutions would be undermined.

**** Take This Job And Shove It: 3 Out Of 4 Singaporeans Want To Start Their Own Business <http://sbr.com.sg/media-marketing/news/take-job-and-shove-it-3-out-4-singaporeans-want-start-their-own-business>
Singapore Business Review

The spirit of entrepreneurship is burning strong among Singaporeans, with almost 3 in 4 revealing that they had thought of starting their own business in the past.

**** S’pore Sees Extradition Treaty Renegotiation Unlikely With RI: Official <http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/09/28/s’pore-sees-extradition-treaty-renegotiation-unlikely-with-ri-official.html>
Hasyim Widhiarto, The Jakarta Post

The Singaporean government on Wednesday said it regarded its current extradition treaty with Indonesia, signed in 2007, as final, despite difficulties the latter had experienced in securing approval from the House of Representatives to ratify it.

Speaking to a group of visiting Indonesian journalists, Singapore’s state minister for foreign affairs Masagos Zulkifli said he fully respected the political response to the treaty in Indonesia, but quickly stressed that Singapore would never make it a subject of renegotiation since this would set a bad precedent for the country in front of the international community.

**** Abercrombie & Fitch Advertisement At Knightsbridge Suspended <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_717645.html>
Straits Times

The Advertising Standards Authority of Singapore has suspended Abercrombie & Fitch's (A&F) advertisement at Knightsbridge for breaching local guidelines on decency.

**** Leaks, Damaged Cable Cause Of 4-hour Delay On Circle Line <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_717665.html>
Maria Almenoar, Straits Times

All cables are now being checked to ensure this does not happen again, and leaks are being fixed to prevent future incidences, said train operator SMRT in a press conference on Wednesday.