[MyAppleMenu] Sep 25, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Sep 25 18:59:01 EDT 2011

**** Hong Kong's 1st Apple Store Mobbed On Opening Day <http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jQ5V7pLB5WwqyFctIG4H1J6atpnA?docId=007a574043e94792a44519f5c48e25ef>
Kelvin Chan, Associated Press

Some Apple enthusiasts had camped out for nearly two days to secure a place at the head of the line and be among the first to walk through the doors of the new store.

**** How The Yahoo! Homepage Predicts Your Clicks <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/23/yahoo_core_personalization/>
Cade Metz, The Register

**** The Night Circus By Erin Morgenstern - Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/sep/23/night-circus-erin-morgenstern-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Claire Messud, The Guardian

I am a reader who should have hated this novel; yet I found it enchanting, and affecting, too, in spite of its sentimental ending.

**** HDB Properties In Singapore: What Happens After The 99 Year Lease Is Up? <http://singaporeactually.com/2011/09/24/hdb-properties-in-singapore-what-happens-after-the-99-year-lease-is-up/>
Singapore Actually

Even if you do rent a place, what if one day you’re forced to retire and can’t pay the rent anymore. It’s all quite scary, especially in a country where costs are escalating and the future value of cash in your CPF savings seems to be falling.

**** Controversial Slimming Ad Sparks Debate <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/controversial-slimming-ad-sparks-debate.html>
Liyana Low, Yahoo!

A slimming advertisement depicting an overweight woman's life in a downward has sparked a debate over its appropriateness.

**** MHA Statement Tells Us Why We Should Abolish ISA.... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/09/mha-statement-talls-us-why-we-should.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

Why do we need such a law when all other developed countries can ensure the safety of its citizens without it? Do you feel insecure in Japan, Finland, Sweden or Australia?.....We spend far more on defense, intelligence and the police per capita than most of these countries. Many of them are bigger in geographical size than Singapore with a bigger population to look after yet they do not need such a draconian law.

**** WaterFire Goes Global, Illuminates Providence And Singapore <http://newsblog.projo.com/2011/09/dw-editing-singapore-waterfire.html>
Providence Journal

See Also: WaterFire Goes to Singapore [http://www.golocalprov.com/lifestyle/waterfire-goes-to-singapore/], by GoLocalProv.

**** Wrong Place To Release Fireflies? <http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20110922-300916.html>
Alvin Lim, The New Paper

The Wildlife Reserves Singapore (WRS) is facing allegations that the Moon Night event at Night Safari has undermined conservation efforts. A letter to The New Paper claimed that fireflies were released into a forested area in the zoo, which was the wrong habitat for this particular species.

**** Tan Jee Say To Form Alliance With Opposition Parties <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110925-0000765/Tan-Jee-Say-to-form-alliance-with-Opposition-parties>
Esther Ng, Today

Presidential candidate, Tan Jee Say, plans to build up a coalition of forces, reaching out to those dissatisfied with the ruling party. He did not give details as to which party he intends to join.

**** Dr Poh Soo Kai And MHA's Fiction Of His Involvement With The Injured Bomber (Part 1) <http://singaporerebel.blogspot.com/2011/09/dr-poh-soo-kai-and-mhas-fiction-of-his.html>
Singapore Rebel

**** Abolish The ISA Immediately <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/09/abolish-the-isa-immediately/>
The Online Citizen

The Online Citizen believes that the ISA in its current form is no longer relevant to or necessary in Singapore, and we therefore call for its abolition.

We believe that few Singaporeans today truly believe that the ISA in its current form remains necessary, and that our security needs cannot be better met by specific anti-terrorism and anti-espionage laws that do not overly curtail human rights.