[MyAppleMenu] Sep 26, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Sep 26 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** City Welcomes Apple Store <http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2011/sep/26/city-welcomes-apple-store/>
James Lu, Yale Daily News

Exhilarated New Haven residents and Yalies gathered en masse for the opening of New Haven’s first Apple store on Broadway Saturday morning.

The 10 a.m. opening drew a line that took over an hour to clear, snaking around the block to Payne Whitney Gymnasium. With security and other media personnel watching, customers in groups of five were allowed to run inside to the cheers of blue-clad Apple employees. Though only seven of 40 people interviewed at the event said they intended to make a purchase — eager only to try out the new products on display — nearby business proprietors and local politicians said the tech giant’s arrival in the Elm City will be a boon for the downtown economy.

**** Apply Finder Labels From The Keyboard <http://www.macworld.com/article/162427/2011/09/apply_finder_labels_from_the_keyboard.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** Netnewswire Lite <http://eggfreckles.net/notes/netnewswire-lite/>
Egg Freckles

NetNewsWire Lite is an almost perfect app. It does one thing, and one thing well, deliver RSS.

**** The Tyranny Of Modern Time <http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2011/09/23/140718434/time-crisis-why-you-don-t-care-about-today-s-equinox>
Adam Frank, NPR

The baseline crisis we must understand and confront is not one of economics, climate change, resource depletion or alternate-reality Republicans. Below them all is a crisis in time. Until we recognize it for what it is, we will be powerless to address the challenges surrounding us, hounding us.

**** Less Opacity On Road To Preserve Green Heritage <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_716696.html>
Sharon Siddique, Straits Times

But is a compromise possible? Shouldn't those interested in the preservation of our heritage - from individuals to the Singapore Heritage Society, Nature Society and the National Heritage Board - explore other possibilities?

Can the PIE be banked or a retaining wall built? How about creative planting to maximise the cover on the sliver of remaining verge? If indeed LTA and NParks have such plans in mind, interested Singaporeans should be informed.

**** More Hawker Centres In The Works? <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110926-0000058/More-hawker-centres-in-the-works?>
Esther Ng, Today

The hawker centres have become a landscape icon as well as a social institution where Singaporeans, regardless of socio-economic status, can mingle. Today, more than a quarter of a century since the last hawker centre was built, some Singaporeans - especially those living in young estates built after 1985 - are clamouring for more of these centres.

And Today understands the authorities are looking into the possibility of building more hawker centres, 26 years after the last one was built. This is understood to be the hawker centre at Block 505, Jurong West Street 52.

**** Prepare For A Broad-based non-PAP Government <http://www.tanjeesay.com/2011/09/prepare-for-a-broad-based-non-pap-government/>
Tan Jee Say

**** 新加坡‧李光耀:中國人對獅城態度改變‧“華人回祖國痴心幻想” <http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/220833?tid=2>
星洲日報

新加坡前內閣資政李光耀說,中國人對新加坡的態度已隨著日益強大而有所改變,而新加坡華人那種一廂情願要回到中國祖國懷抱的浪漫情懷,是痴心幻想。

“他們口口聲聲對我們說,國家不分大小,人人平等,說他們‘不稱霸’。但只要我們做不合他們心意的事,他們就會說‘看吧,你們讓13億人不高興’。要是反過來,他們讓我們不高興了呢?我們也只不過‘百萬’,讓幾百萬人不高興而已。所以,請弄清楚自己的定位。”

**** Job Axe Swings Across Asia Banking Sector; More To Come <http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/23/asia-jobs-banks-idUSL3E7KN1XH20110923>
Michael Flaherty And Sumeet Chatterjee, Reuters

Job losses are piling up in major cities like Hong Kong and Singapore.

**** Sexy Hostesses In Boat Quay Soliciting Openly <http://news.insing.com/tabloid/sexy-hostesses-in-boat-quay-soliciting-openly/id-babe3e00>
Lianhe Wanbao

Circular Road at Boat Quay is fast becoming a red-light district. In a short span of one year, 15 new nightclubs with names like Kriselle and Mambo 5 have opened in the area.

**** Singapore's Leaky Drugs Enforcement <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3789&Itemid=195>
Asia Sentinel

All told, Singapore’s hard line on drugs has almost certainly kept usage below rates in equivalent societies such as Hong Kong. But such success in suppressing occasional recreational use of party drugs has come at a high cost in human lives without necessarily making Singapore any less free of addiction than its peers.

**** Resorts World Sentosa Responds On Sourcing Of Fishes For Marine Life Park <http://wildshores.blogspot.com/2011/09/resorts-world-sentosa-responds-on.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WildShoresOfSingapore+%28wild+shores+of+singapore%29>
Wild Shores Of Singapore

"As the person in charge of the aquarium, I can tell you one of my highest priorities is ensuring the proper and legal acquisition of organisms. The long-term health of the animals, the humane methods in which they are raised or collected and the potential environmental implications are of prime consideration to me."

**** OA Refuses To Let Chee Attend IBA Conference <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4969-oa-refuses-to-let-chee-attend-iba-conference>
Singapore Democratic Party

The OA has turned down every one of the nearly 30 applications Dr Chee has made to attend overseas conferences since he was declared bankrupt by the courts in 2006. This is despite all the organisers undertaking to pay for all of Dr Chee's expenses.

**** Are Singapore's Reserves Too Exposed To Public Equities? <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110926-0000914/Are-Singapores-reserves-too-exposed-to-public-equities?>
Chua Soo Kiat, Today

**** Bookstore Chain Borders Closes Last Remaining Outlet In Singapore <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_716920.html>
Jennani Durai, Straits Times

The branch at Parkway Parade closed its shutters for the last time at 9pm after hundreds of shoppers made a mad dash for its remaining merchandise in its final hours of operation.

**** Four Fallacies About The Singapore Welfare State <http://www.social-dimension.com/2011/09/four-fallacies-about-the-singapore-welfare-state.html>
Ng Kok Hoe, Social Dimension Online