[MyAppleMenu] Sep 24, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 24 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Keep Your Mac Safe From Web Security Flaws <http://www.macworld.com/article/162472/2011/09/keep_your_mac_safe_from_web_security_flaws.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

So what can you do prevent your Mac from being the subject of a man-in-the-middle snooping attack? Plenty.

**** First Hong Kong Apple Store Draws Massive Crowd On Opening Day <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/24/first_hong_kong_apple_store_draws_massive_crowd_on_opening_day.html>
Josh Ong, AppleInsider

Apple on Saturday opened its first retail store in Hong Kong to a crowd of hundreds of customers as part of an effort to continue its storied revenue growth in the Greater China region.

**** Apple Opens Its First Store In Hong Kong As Retail Spending Surges In City <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-24/apple-opens-first-store-in-hong-kong-as-retail-spending-surges.html?>
Mark Lee And Jasmine Wang, Bloomberg

Apple Inc. opened its first store in Hong Kong today, paring reliance on sales agents to market its iPhones and iPads as Chinese tourists drive a retail boom in the city. Some customers queued two nights for the event.

**** 7 Ways To Automate Your Life With Ifttt <http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/23/7-ways-to-automate-your-life-with-ifttt/?partner=rss&emc=rss#&wtoeid=growl1_r1_v5>
Jenna Wortham, New York Times

A nifty new Web service called ifttt (pronounced “lift” but minus the l) offers a way to automate tasks involving a bevy of services like Instagram, Craiglist, Dropbox and Instapaper, among others.

**** The Etiquette Of Autographs <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/25/books/review/the-etiquette-of-autographs.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Geoff Dyer, New York Times

A nice side effect of being invited to speak at literary festivals as a writer is that you enjoy privileged access as a reader. Writing, if you like, is the Trojan horse of reading. At the Jaipur Literature Festival in India last year, I met Steve Coll (“Ghost Wars”) and Lawrence Wright (“The Looming Tower”). What struck me — and I mean this as a compliment — was the speed with which Lawrence (to you) went from being the author of a stonking great masterpiece to just “Larry,” a guy I was hanging out with. Ditto Bobby (Roberto) Calasso. Well, that’s not quite true. I didn’t exactly hang out with Calasso and I never called him “Bobby,” but I did meet him, several times. I’d love to say I can prove it, but I can’t. That is, I didn’t get any books signed.

**** When A Dictionary Could Outrage <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/25/books/review/when-a-dictionary-could-outrage.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Geoffrey Nunberg, New York Times

“A passel of double-domes at the G. & C. Merriam Company joint in Springfield, Mass., have been confabbing and yakking for 27 years — which is not intended to infer that they have not been doing plenty work.” Thus began an editorial that appeared in The New York Times on Oct. 12, 1961, excoriating the recently published Webster’s Third New International Dictionary.

**** His Morning – II <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/sep/23/alan-brownjohn-his-morning-poem?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Alan Brownjohn, The Guardian

**** The Roger Ebert Show <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/25/books/review/life-itself-a-memoir-by-roger-ebert-book-review.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all>
Maureen Dowd, New York Times

Roger Ebert could be a cocksure prat.

**** MAS Rule Unfair To Seniors <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_716044.html>
Raymond Koh Bock Swi, Straits Times

My regular 'income' is no longer derived from a salary, but from rental income, dividends, interest income, capital gains from share investments, director's fees and so on.

Such retirees are excellent credit risk for banks, so why are banks and MAS not customising their risk profiling of these older people differently, instead of applying the traditional debt servicing criteria?

**** The Role Of Peaceful Protests In Society... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/09/role-of-peaceful-protests-in-society.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

The right for people to assemble to support each other for a worthy cause brings about a more cohesive society, motivate govts to put the interests of ordinary above everything else and accelerate the positive changes to society.

**** $1,400 Cleaner Jobs Shunned By Locals <http://news.insing.com/tabloid/1-400-cleaner-jobs-shunned-by-locals/id-0fbc3e00>
Lianhe Wanbao

It is difficult to attract local hires to fill cleaning positions in the cleaning industry even if the monthly salary is as high as $1,400 per month.

Employers have no alternative but to employ foreign workers at a much steeper labour cost of $3,000.

The obvious question is, of course, why aren't locals hired at S2,000 or more?

**** Rising Level Of Divisiveness <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2011/9/24/columnists/insightdownsouth/9563617&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

More conflicts once private are moving into the public domain, with participants – including early teens – being able to get their messages across to the masses.

If this current political divide turned into constant bickering, Lee warned last week, Singapore would become “another ordinary country”.