[MyAppleMenu] Sep 18, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Sep 18 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** iTeacherBook Helps Teachers Get Organized <http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/09/iteacherbook-helps-teachers-get-organized>
Karen Freeman, AppAdvice

**** Cracking OS X Lion Passwords <http://www.defenceindepth.net/2011/09/cracking-os-x-lion-passwords.html>
Patrick Dunstan, Defence In Depth

Why crack hashes when you can just change the password directly!

**** The Catch In “Catch-22” <http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/09/04/joseph-heller-catch-22-50th-anniversary-how-the-novel-changed-america.html>
Morris Dickstein, The Daily Beast

As the sixties wore on this morality seemed ahead of its time. It was as if Heller had anticipated the carnage and miscalculations of the Vietnam War, the stealth and deceit with which the war was escalated.

**** Wildlife Reserves Singapore Says Sorry For Event Cancellation <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110918-0000424/Wildlife-Reserves-Singapore-says-sorry-for-event-cancellation>
Today

In a Facebook post, Ms Loh also said she had not intended to link the comments of President Tony Tan to WRS' decision to cancel Halloween Horrors, an annual event held at the Night Safari. "I know that the decision to cancel Halloween Horrors was sudden, and I am very sorry for all the upset it has caused," she wrote.

"In particular, I would like to reiterate my apology to the Singapore Polytechnic students. I have spoken with their Principal and I plan to meet them personally to discuss this matter early next week.

**** Singapore Under Pressure To Abolish Security Law <http://news.ph.msn.com/regional/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5284183>
AFP

Samydorai said the results of parliamentary elections in May and the presidential poll in August, when the ruling People's Action Party (PAP) recorded its worst-ever showings, showed that Singaporeans, especially the young, want greater political freedom.

"Governments in Asia are realising that young people cannot tolerate non-democratic practices anymore," he said.

**** President Tony Tan Said The ISA Is A Blunt Instrument <http://thetwophilo.wordpress.com/2011/09/18/president-tony-tan-said-the-isa-is-a-blunt-instrument/>
Thetwophilo's Blog

It is the reason for pulling the trigger and not the presence or possession of the gun per se that is at the heart of the issue.

**** 80% Increase In HDB Price Between Sale Launches? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/09/80-increase-in-hdb-price-between-sale-launches/>
The Online Citizen

At the first sale launch during SERS (2006/07), a 4-room flat cost an average of $250k (inclusive of compensation). At the 2nd sale launch during the Balance of Sale balloting exercise (2009), a 4-room flat was going at an average of $450k. The 3-room flats also had an 80% raise in price.

**** While Malaysia’s Government Is Forced To Embrace Change, Our Government Still Resists Change <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7135>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

These are excuses and obfuscations unworthy of a government that has the temerity to call itself a first world government.

Singapore’s ruling PAP still insists on resisting change and on continuing to parade its old and tired propaganda about the ISA because unlike Malaysia’s ruling BN coalition, it is not yet on the verge of losing power. The only way of getting the PAP to repeal oppressive laws is to bring it to that precipice.