[MyAppleMenu] Sep 19, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Sep 19 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Apple Is Aware Of iMac Graphic Anomalies, But No Fix Is Available Yet <http://www.cultofmac.com/114446/apple-is-aware-of-imac-graphic-anomalies-but-no-fix-is-available-yet/>
David W. Martin, Cult Of Mac

**** Grand Opening Of Apple's Massive New Hong Kong Store Confirmed For This Saturday <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/19/grand-opening-of-apples-massive-new-hong-kong-store-confirmed-for-this-saturday/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

That opening date has now been confirmed, as evidenced by a small new sign placed on a stand in front of an entrance to the store. The sign confirms that the store will open this Saturday, September 24th, at 9:00 AM.

**** Browser Breakup <http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2011/09/18/Safari>
Tim Bray

For some years, Safari has been my default browser. I generally prefer its choices in framing and ergonomics and shortcuts over all others. But I’ve had to stop using it.

**** Chat History <http://www.good.is/post/chat-history/>
Rebecca Armendariz, Good

Clark and I met on the Thursday before Labor Day, August 30, 2007. I don’t know exactly when we first said I love you, but the first email exchange containing the phrase, which he casually includes before signing off, is dated October 3 of that year.

**** GIC Should Disclose Details Of UBS Position <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110919-0000288/GIC-should-disclose-details-of-UBS-position>
Chua Soo Kiat, Today

In view of the erosion of the value of Singapore's investments in Western banks such as UBS, it will be increasingly challenging to expect Singaporeans to accept GIC's position of non-disclosure.

After all, Singaporeans are generally prudent with money and have, in the two recent elections, rejected candidates with campaign promises of more spending. It is only fair that they are kept updated on the value of GIC's holdings, the last piece of the reserves puzzle.

**** Reinventing The PAP? A Hard Truth <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/09/19/reinventing-the-pap-a-hard-truth/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

Chanting the old mantras or Hard Truths do not help persuade.

**** Poor Justification For Costly Decision <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_714353.html>
Bay Wee Wen, Straits Times

To call it off after 90 per cent completion, when the costs for holding this large-scale event had already been incurred, seems illogical as it would yield zero returns on investments and negative publicity for WRS. It is shocking that WRS has made such a costly decision without consulting all the stakeholders.

As an organisation that claims to be big on corporate social responsibility, what kind of message is WRS sending to the youth? Is it telling them that a powerful organisation can make any decision based on its whim and fancy, with little regard for other people who may be affected?

**** Night Safari Staff Split Over Decision To Cancel Halloween Event <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_714453.html>
Amanda Tan, Straits Times

Sources familiar with Wildlife Reserves Singapore (WRS), the parent company of the Night Safari, told The Straits Times that some staff were already uncomfortable with the style of new chief executive Isabella Loh, who came on board in July.

**** Number Of Lawyers In Singapore Could Hit A Record 4,000 This Year <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_714450.html>
K. C. Vijayan, Straits Times

Industry players said the market can absorb the increase because there has been a shortage of lawyers for many years relative to demand for them.

**** Koh Says Malaysian Democracy More Open That Singapore's <http://www.thesundaily.my/news/148086>
Aaron Ngui, The Sun

Malaysia's democratic system is more mature and amenable compared with Singapore's, as evinced by the government’s move to repeal the Internal Security Act 1960 (ISA).

Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon said this today when asked about the repeal announcement on the eve of Malaysia Day by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak. Koh however stressed that Singapore is now also beginning to open up, and that the proposed repeal of the ISA here has found an echo among the people there.

**** Malaysia’s Reforms Shine Light On Singapore <http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2011/09/19/malaysias-reforms-shine-light-on-singapore/>
Shibani Mahtani, Wall Street Journal

Activists in Singapore say they still aren’t convinced the threat of terrorism justifies the existence of the ISA.

“Singapore’s ISA goes way beyond specific terrorism laws, offering little protection for detainees,” said Siew Kum Hong, vice president for the Singapore-based nongovernmental organization Maruah, which campaigns to protect human rights in Singapore.

**** The Truth About The Newspaper And Printing Presses Act <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4964-the-truth-about-the-newspaper-and-printing-presses-act>
Singapore Democratic Party

This is PAP-speak for ensuring that the media promote the party and its policies while censoring the news of the opposition and civil society. It comes in the wake of Malaysia announcing plans to reform its media laws to allow greater freedom of the press.

**** Will Singapore Bow To Pressure To Put An End To ISA? <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v5/newsindex.php?id=614288>
Tengku Noor Shamsiah Tengku Abdullah, Bernama

Will Singapore bow to the aspirations of interested parties to abolish its Internal Security Act (ISA), following Malaysia's move to put an end to the preventive detention law? Currently, this is a hotly debated issue among Singapore netizens, academicians, opposition, analysts and individuals, alike.

**** Baey To The Rescue: Cancelled Halloween Event May Get New Life At PAP Constituency <http://newnation.sg/2011/09/baey-to-the-rescue-cancelled-halloween-event-may-get-new-life-at-his-constituency/>
Terence Lee, New Nation

Guess who’s the White Knight who came to the rescue? PAP Member-of-Parliament Baey Yam Keng, who is now trying to bring the cancelled event to Tampines, the constituency he’s in charge of.

**** GIC Responds <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110919-0001019/GIC-responds>
Jennifer Lewis, GIC, Today

GIC's investment objective, as set out by the Government, is to achieve good long-term returns over a 20-year investment horizon. Our performance is assessed based on our overall portfolio and not on individual investments. As of Mar 31, 2011, the 20-year annualised real rate of return, in excess of global inflation, was 3.9 per cent.

While we publish the asset mix and geographical distribution of our portfolio, we do not disclose strategies or details of specific investments so as to preserve our competitive edge.

**** Cold, Dim Room Sheds Light On Singapore History <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jtDJwOYQOhG0u495xnDeBzAVrPSw?docId=CNG.c1e4780ed4e3dbec72ec2612a8201a49.1a1>
Philip Lim, AFP

In flowing script dated June 9, 1819, Singapore's colonial founder Stamford Raffles described the island's formative days as a regional trading port in the Malay archipelago, and it turned out to be prophetic.

The letter, as well as some 7,000 other items in the room, form the Rare Materials Collection (RMC) of Singapore's National Library, offering a more intimate look into the past of what is now one of the world's busiest ports.

**** Abolish Singapore’s Internal Security Act <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/09/abolish-singapore%E2%80%99s-internal-security-act/>
Dr Lim Hock Siew, Dr Poh Soo Kai, Said Zahari, Lee Tee Tong, Loh Miaw Gong, Chng Min Oh @ Chuang Men-Hu, Tan Sin Alias Tan Seng Hin, Toh Ching Kee, Koh Kay Yew, Vincent Cheng Kim Chuan, Teo Soh Lung, Yap Hon Ngian, Tan Tee Seng, Low Yit Leng, Wong Souk Yee, Tang Fong Har, The Online Citizen

The protection accorded by the Advisory Board is spurious, if not a farce. Several of us have appeared before such a board and can confirm that the board did not examine witnesses and evidence against the detainee. In 1987, appearances before the board lasted not more than a few minutes each. Furthermore, detainees were discouraged from appearing before the board by ISD officers. Many were advised that appearing before the board would jeopardise their chances of early release.

In 1991, then deputy prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said, “Singapore will seriously consider abolishing the Internal Security Act if Malaysia were to do so”. He made this response to seven Malaysian journalists in his office when asked why the ISA was still needed in Singapore even though the Communist Party of Malaya no longer posed a threat. (ST 3.2.1991.) Now that Malaysia is repealing the ISA, we call upon PM Lee Hsien Loong to translate his 1991 statement into reality and keep in step with the aspirations of our people for a mature and functioning democracy. Indefinite detention without trial is an affront to the human rights of citizens and an assault on our justice system.