[MyAppleMenu] Sep 17, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 17 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Mac App Store Now Warns Before You Re-buy Installed Apps <http://www.macworld.com/article/162356/2011/09/mac_app_store_now_warns_before_you_re_buy_installed_apps.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

Though this doesn’t really reduce the pain of having to pay a second time for the same app, it does at least give less savvy users a heads-up before they accidentally buy a program all over again.

**** Apple Details Thunderbolt Display Connection Options <http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-details-thunderbolt-display-connection-options/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

**** Apple Now Shipping Thunderbolt Displays <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/09/16/apple-now-shipping-thunderbolt-displays/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

**** Locating Lion's Zoom Feature <http://www.macworld.com/article/162360/2011/09/lion_zoom.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Chrome 14 Arrives With Improved Lion Support And NaCl <http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2011/09/chrome-14-arrives-with-improved-lion-support-and-nacl.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Ryan Paul, Ars Technica

Several key enhancements for Lion have been introduced in Chrome 14 on Mac OS X. Lion's new scrollbar style, which is fully supported in the new version, nicely complements Chrome's minimalist design. Chrome has also gained compatibility with Lion's full-creen functionality. It also offers a separate "presentation mode" that mimics the legacy fullscreen style.

**** First Look: Apple Thunderbolt Display <http://www.macworld.com/article/162365/2011/09/first_look_apple_thunderbolt_display.html#lsrc.rss_main>
James Galbraith, Macworld

**** The Mac Is A Great Dev Box <http://wekeroad.com/2011/09/14/fanboy-mac-post>
Rob Conery, WekeRoad

They're both decent operating systems. OSX is pretty, Windows 7 is too - it just so happens I can do a lot more with an OSX box than I can with Windows. Fanboy or not - this much is true: if you're a dev - even a strict .NET dev - a Mac is a great choice for a dev box.

**** Apple 101: 13 Ways To Protect Your Data On iOS And Mac OS X <http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/09/17/apple-101-13-ways-to-protect-your-data-on-ios-and-mac-os-x/>
The Next Web

In recent memory, Apple has shown great commitment towards making sure that the OS, along with both its bundled and third-party apps, takes on the responsibility of protecting the user’s data. In this article, we take a look at thirteen ways in which Apple provides such protection. Once you know all the options available to you, you will hopefully be better prepared to take advantage of them to safeguard your own data.

**** The Children’s Authors Who Broke The Rules <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/books/review/the-childrens-authors-who-broke-the-rules.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Pamela Paul, Nw York Times

The stylistic eccentricities of Maurice Sendak, Shel Silverstein and Theodor Geisel, a k a Dr. Seuss, are so much a part of the childhood vernacular today that it’s hard to imagine their books were once considered by some to be wholly inappropriate for children.

Yet these three authors — who each have a new book coming out this month in what can only be described as a Seussian coincidence (“But, see! We are as good as you. Look! Now we have new books, too!”) — challenged the conception of what a children’s book should be. And children’s literature, happily, has never been the same.

**** Denis Johnson’s Tragedy-in-the-Woods Novella <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/books/review/train-dreams-by-denis-johnson-book-review.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Anthony Doerr, New York Times

It’s a love story, a hermit’s story and a refashioning of age-old wolf-based folklore like “Little Red Cap.” It’s also a small masterpiece. You look up from the thing dazed, slightly changed.

**** Translation: An Impossible Art? <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/sep/16/david-bellos-author-author?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
David Bellos, The Guardian

When you learn French at school, two of the first words you learn are tu and vous. In English both have the same translation – "you". This may well be the first time you are made aware that a word in one language has more than one translation in another.

**** Words With Strangers <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/fashion/sheltered-by-online-scrabbles-anonymity.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Meg Wolitzer, New York Times

Playing Scrabble with a stranger — and having brief, somewhat human exchanges along the way — lets you acknowledge the greatness of this shared game, the beauty of words, and the skill it takes to see them and place them on the board (n1!). But it also lets you keep control of your time and your privacy, and satisfies that inscrutable desire for a kind of aloneness that isn’t really aloneness at all.

It’s 2 a.m. in New York City now, and I want the buzz and fizz of a quick game before sleep. In Ghana, it’s already morning, and my sometime opponent is also online and feeling better.

**** 买不起,还是不甘心? <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110917_012.shtml>
杨永欣, 联合早报

政府帮助夹心层固然是好,但调高顶限是为了应对政治压力,还是实际需要?

**** Abolish ISA In S'pore <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_713706.html>
Tan Si An, Straits Times

New anti-terror and anti-espionage legislation would be more adapted to deal with the varied security challenges of today and tomorrow.

**** Take A Hard Look At Long-serving Laws <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_713585.html>
Mano Sabnani, Straits Times

The gush of fresh air that such reforms will bring into the political environment will yield positive results for the People's Action Party in the 2016 General Election.

**** Slowing The Paper Chase <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2011/9/17/columnists/insightdownsouth/9512493&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

Future university planning would unlikely be a numbers game alone, but respond to the needs of the economy. Many of the newly created jobs today are in services which do not require formal higher education.

**** 废除内安法本地反应 反对党纷呼吁政府仿效 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110917_019.shtml>
林慧慧, 联合早报

马来西亚将废除内部安全法的消息在本地引起涟漪,本地多个反对党纷纷发出要政府效仿这个做法的呼声。而作为新一届国会中最大反对党的工人党虽然认为政府应该废除内安法,不过它认为有必要同时改而制定一套防恐法来对付恐怖分子。

**** Mica Stands By Newspaper And Printing Presses Act <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_713856.html>
Teo Wan Gek, Straits Times

The Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts (Mica) stands by the law which regulates newspapers, saying it ensures the media operating here play a responsible role and that publishers are accountable for the content they print.

**** Downtown Line Likely To Bust $12 Billion Budget <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_713854.html>
Christopher Tan, Straits Times

With more contracts to be awarded, such as for other electrical and mechanical systems, an overrun of the forecast budget of $12 billion for the 42km line looks almost certain. It is, however, not clear at this stage what the amount of the overrun will be.

**** Creating Thinkers And Pioneers <http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/features/item/74-creating-thinkers-and-pioneers>
Sophia Tsang, Publichouse.sg

I am not saying good results are unimportant. They are important because they are the tangible fruit that all can see. The process of getting good results however is even more critical. It is this process that will produce thinkers and pioneers instead of mere workers and followers.

**** ISA, Why Are You Still Here? <http://kirstenhan.me/2011/09/17/isa-why-are-you-still-here/>
Funny Little World

The ISA doesn’t need to be used to be oppressive. It just needs to be dangled over our heads.

**** Singapore Takeout (New York): Feeding The Homesick <http://atigerinthekitchen.com/2011/09/singapore-takeout-new-york-feeding-the-homesick/>
Cheryl Lu-Tien Tan, A Tiger In The Kitchen

There was one taste that confused me at first, though — the cheesy flavor of a parmesan crisp Lee had added to the mix, saying it is similar to dried shrimp in a way. The Western addition worked, however — in fact, I wouldn’t mind it if this trend started to catch on among Singaporean hawkers.

**** 新加坡‧李光耀:不信會成伊斯蘭國家‧“加入馬來西亞是錯的” <http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/219824?tid=2>
星洲日報

過去幾十年來,李光耀統治新加坡,打敗對手,贏得了高度的褒揚的同時也遭到嚴厲的批判。回顧他的政治生涯,李光耀承認他做錯了一些事,而加入馬來西亞就是其中一件。

他說,在當時,他不相信馬來西亞會成為一個以馬來人為主的伊斯蘭國家。雖然他原本就預計到東姑會恢復蘇丹體制和舊皇俗,卻沒料到這麼做是為了維護馬來人至高無上的政治地位。

**** No Need To Abolish ISA <http://thinkhappiness.blogspot.com/2011/09/no-need-to-abolish-isa.html>
Think Happiness

The Board does not compromise a majority of judges, who I have no doubt are independent. Rogue ministers or power hungry political leaders could easily fill the majority of the ISA Advisory Board with their own lackeys and tilt the recommendation of the Board in their favour.

**** Let ICJ Decide On Development Charges In KTM Land Swap Issue, Says Envoy <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v5/newsgeneral.php?id=614013>
Tengku Noor Shamsiah Tengku Abdullah, Bernama

The best way to deal with the issue related to the quantum of development charges for the Keretapi Tanah Melayu land swap is to let the International Court of Justice decide, Malaysian High Commissioner to Singapore Datuk Md Hussin Nayan said.

This is what Malaysia have agreed to, he added. "If the two sides cannot decide, then a third party will have to decide," he told reporters at Malaysia's 54th National Day reception here last night.