[MyAppleMenu] Sep 15, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 15 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Daily Mac App: GeekTool <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/09/14/daily-mac-app-geektool/>
Megan Lavey-Heaton, TUAW

**** Apple Provides Firmware Updates For MacBook Pros, Mac Minis <http://www.macworld.com/article/162321/2011/09/apple_provides_firmware_updates_for_macbook_pros_mac_minis.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

The patch for the MacBook Pro, EFI Firmware Update 2.2, provides similar Thunderbolt fixes, though unlike its newer cousins, the MacBook Pro does not ship with Internet Recovery; as such, this update appears to actually enable the use of Internet Recovery on a MacBook Pro.

**** KCRW Launches Music Mine “Discovery App” For iPad <http://boingboing.net/2011/09/14/kcrw-launches-music-mine-music-discovery-app-for-ipad.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boingboing%2FiBag+%28Boing+Boing%29>
Xeni Jardin, Boing Boing

**** How To Moom App Windows On Your Mac’s Screen <http://noodlemac.com/2011/09/how-to-moom-app-windows-on-your-macs-screen/>
NoodleMac

Moom is a relatively inexpensive Mac utility, an app that minimizes the window management effort. The controls set up a grid on your Mac’s screen, making it easy to put app windows where you know they’ll be.

**** Printing Off The Paper <http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/3d-printing-0914.html>
David L. Chandler, MIT News

Imagine being able to “print” an entire house. Or a four-course dinner. Or a complete mechanical device such as a cuckoo clock, fully assembled and ready to run. Or a printer capable of printing … yet another printer?

**** Instapaper’s (Anti-)social Network <http://www.marco.org/2011/09/14/instapapers-antisocial-network>
Marco Arment

**** In-Car Algorithm Could Rapidly Dissolve Traffic Jams <http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/27166/?ref=rss>
Technology Review

If cars broadcast their speeds to other vehicles, a simple in-car algorithm could help dissolve traffic jams as soon as they occur, say computer scientists.

**** What If The Secret To Success Is Failure? <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/magazine/what-if-the-secret-to-success-is-failure.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&pagewanted=all>
Paul Tough, New York Times

The most critical missing piece, Randolph explained as we sat in his office last fall, is character — those essential traits of mind and habit that were drilled into him at boarding school in England and that also have deep roots in American history. “Whether it’s the pioneer in the Conestoga wagon or someone coming here in the 1920s from southern Italy, there was this idea in America that if you worked hard and you showed real grit, that you could be successful,” he said. “Strangely, we’ve now forgotten that. People who have an easy time of things, who get 800s on their SAT’s, I worry that those people get feedback that everything they’re doing is great. And I think as a result, we are actually setting them up for long-term failure. When that person suddenly has to face up to a difficult moment, then I think they’re screwed, to be honest. I don’t think they’ve grown the capacities to be able to handle that.”

**** April Bloomfield's First Trip To France <http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/april-bloomfields-first-trip-to-france>
Lauren Collins, Food And Wine

Chef April Bloomfield always thought of French food as emotionless. Then she traveled to Lyon and learned that truffle soup can make you cry.

**** Cod <http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/240146>
Cheryl Savageau, Poetry Foundation

**** 'Stop At Two Policy Nothing To Do With Low Fertility' <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/-stop-at-two-policy-nothing-to-do-with-low-fertility-.html>
Faris Mokhtar, Yahoo!

“Stopping at two has nothing to do with what’s happened. It has happened throughout the developed world, once you have women educated with equal job opportunities, they do not see their future just bearers of children,” replied Lee who was also speaking for the first time as a "distinguished fellow" of the graduate school.

He pointed out that the answer in tackling the population challenge remains in bringing in foreigners.

**** Two-party System Not Good For Singapore, Says Lee Kuan Yew <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110915-0000398/Two-party-system-not-good-for-Singapore,-says-Lee-Kuan-Yew>
Ong Dai Lin, Today

The opposition should remain "competitive" in Singapore's political landscape but former minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew doubts if the country will be able to sustain a two-party political system.

"Amongst other reasons, I don't believe Singapore can produce two top class teams. We haven't got the talent to produce two top class teams," he said.

**** 1 In 3 S'poreans Are 'Cynics' <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110915-0000410/1-in-3-Sporeans-are-cynics>
Imelda Saad Aziz, Today

A new study has found that about a third of Singaporeans are "cynics" - deemed as those who do not trust politicians. The survey, conducted by the Institute of Policy Studies (IPS), covered 1,092 Singaporeans, aged 21 and above, and was conducted about nine months before May's General Election.

Liberals are seen to be more cynical, but the study also found that there is no significant relation between a cynic and his income or education levels. It says the difference is not a socio-economic one but a political one, which means cynics in Singapore cut across the entire section of the community.

**** Govt Declines Singapore Help On Haze <http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/nvironment/govt-declines-singapore-help-on-haze/465495>
Fidelis E. Satriastanti, The Jakarta Globe

Singapore, which falls victim to Indonesia’s annual haze problem, has offered to help put out forest fires. However, the deputy minister for environmental damage control and climate change, Arif Yuwono, said the government was capable of resolving the matter on its own.

Arif added that accepting help from foreign countries was complicated because the president needed to declare a natural disaster emergency and approve any aid from other countries.

**** “怕输” <http://stringrain.com/2011/09/14/“怕输”/>
紫雨风弦

“怕输”一词新加坡人喜欢用福建话念来,发音极似“将输”,怕输怕输,将输将输,这看似平凡的二字,却暗藏了多少笑讽人生的哲理呢?

**** Careful Consideration Needed In Expanding University Places <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1153357/1/.html>
Mustafa Shafawi, Channel NewsAsia

Minister of state for education Lawrence Wong has said the approach adopted in expanding the university sector will have broad implications, not only for those contemplating higher education options but also for society at large.

He said some of the factors to consider include the capacity of the economy to generate sufficient degree-level jobs in the future and how to maintain the quality of university education as the intake is expanded.

**** We, The Onternauts Of Singapore <http://everythingalsocomplain.wordpress.com/2011/09/15/we-the-onternauts-of-singapore/>
Everything Also Complain

**** In Singapore, Bookstores Off The Beaten Path <http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2011/09/15/in-singapore-bookstores-off-the-beaten-path/>
Shibani Mahtani, Wall Street Journal

In a city filled with chains and superstores, there are a surprising number of independent, locally owned bookstores. Here’s a sampling of some of the noteworthy ones.

**** 新加坡投资移民前景仍被看好 <http://news.ifeng.com/gundong/detail_2011_09/15/9205137_0.shtml>
深圳商报

澳德华移民公司总裁谢炎武表示,着力于打造“富人天堂”的新加坡政府提高移民门槛,意味着该国投资移民的萌芽期和蜜月期已过,现在已进入成熟稳定的阶段。新政的实施更加明确表明了新加坡着力吸引国际一流精英投资者的决心和信心。从表面上看,涨价是费用的调整,事实上是对申请人各方面条件的要求越来越精细。