[MyAppleMenu] Sep 14, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 14 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Promising Prospect: Yoink 1.0 <http://www.macworld.com/article/162287/2011/09/promising_prospect_yoink.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Game That Critiques Apple Vanishes From App Store <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/13/game-that-critiques-apple-vanishes-from-app-store/>
Jenna Wortham, New York Times

The game, called Phone Story, followed the life cycle of a smartphone, from the mining of metals in Africa that are needed for the chips in the phones, to factories in China, where the devices are manufactured. BLN, a business blog, posted screenshots from the app, one of which indicates that in part of the game the objective was to catch factory workers who are attempting to commit suicide.

**** How The iPad Is Disrupting The Inflight Entertainment Business, Or, Using A Mac And Keynote At A Powerpoint-dominated Aviation Convention <http://lesposen.wordpress.com/2011/09/13/ife/>
Les Posen's Presentation Magic

**** Microsoft Releases Office For Mac Security And Performance Updates <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/14/microsoft-releases-office-for-mac-security-and-performance-updates/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

Microsoft today released a series of updates for users of its Office for Mac productivity suites, bringing security, performance, and stability improvements to Office 2011, 2008, and 2004, as well as a pair of ancillary updates.

**** Want Apple To Make Changes? Send Feedback <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20105535-263/want-apple-to-make-changes-send-feedback/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** Your Heartbeat On An iPhone <http://www.technologyreview.com/business/38480/?ref=rss>
Antonio Regalado, Technology Review

An innovator delivers a cheap, instant, and mobile way to monitor heart problems.

**** How To Get Your Medical Device Into The Apple Store <http://www.technologyreview.com/business/38571/?ref=rss>
Antonio Regalado, Technology Review

For any innovator with a clever medical hack, a place in the Apple retail store would mean success. But how to get there? Technology Review interviewed several companies who already have health gadgets in Apple stores, or are in negotiations with the Cupertino computer giant to see what it takes to get on Apple's shelves.

**** VMware Fusion 4 Adds More Than 90 New Features <http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/09/14/vmware-fusion-4-adds-more-than-90-new-features/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

Fusion 4 is a 64-bit Cocoa application, built with Apple’s new OS X Lion in mind. You can add Windows applications to LaunchPad, experience them in Mission Control, view them in full screen or switch between them using Mac gestures.

VMware said Fusion is also optimized for today’s multi-core Macs and delivers 3D graphics up to 2.5-times faster than previous versions.

**** Creating A Cloud-based Backup For Your Image Library <http://www.macworld.com/article/162113/2011/09/creating_a_cloud_based_backup_for_your_image_library.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Derrick Story, Macworld

Creating your own cloud storage system doesn’t require a degree in computer science. But it does help to choose the right equipment. A number of companies are offering network-capable hard drives that work nicely for photo backup and remote access. These network appliances typically house a couple of drives, basic server software, and an Ethernet connector. And since you don’t have to wire these units directly to a computer, they can be housed anywhere you have power and a connection to the Internet.

**** From Brainstorm To Outline: Why I Use OPML <http://www.macworld.com/article/162266/2011/09/from_brainstorm_to_outline_why_i_use_opml.html#lsrc.rss_main>
David Sparks, Macworld

OPML is so ingrained into my workflow that every business writing project, contract, presentation, and proposal I work on starts life as an OPML file on my iPad. Here is how I do it.

**** Masochist Me? An Ars Writer's iPad-only Workday <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/09/doable-or-not-my-experience-with-working-for-ars-on-the-ipad.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

The initial proposition seemed crazy. I was sure it was not possible to work this way. My job as a writer and editor here at Ars depends on (too much) serious multitasking with multiple open windows. I wasn't sure I'd even be able to successfully write full articles with proper formatting, links, images, and HTML using only iPad apps. And let's not even talk about the Ars CMS—many of us at Ars have attempted to use it from our iPhones in the past; it has always ended in tears.

So imagine my surprise when a day on the iPad actually worked.

**** How To Create A Looping Slideshow <http://www.macworld.com/article/162306/2011/09/create_looping_slideshow.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Apple Launches Twitter Account For U.S. iBookstore <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/14/apple-launches-twitter-account-for-u-s-ibookstore/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

Apple today stepped up promotion of its iBookstore by launching a new Twitter account to keep followers updated on new releases, special offers, and other details from the store, as noted in the account's debut Tweet.

**** APPlied Logic <http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2011/09/traffic-management>
The Economist

Creating such a smooth passage means adjusting a vehicle’s speed so that it always arrives at the lights when they are green. That is theoretically possible, but practically hard. Roadside signs wired to traffic lights can help get the message across a couple hundred metres from a junction, but such signs are expensive, and have not been widely deployed. Margaret Martonosi and Emmanouil Koukoumidis at Princeton University, and Li-Shiuan Peh at the Massachussets Institute of Technology, however, have an idea that could make the process cheaper and more effective. Instead of a hardwired network of signs, they propose to use mobile-phone apps.

**** The Future Of Light Is The LED <http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/08/ff_lightbulbs/all/1>
Dan Koeppel, Wired

**** Predators And Robots At War <http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/sep/29/predators-and-robots-war/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Christian Caryl, The New York Review Of Books

Even as his body occupies a seat in a control room in Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada, his mind is far removed, following a suspicious SUV down a desert road in Iraq or tailing Taliban fighters along a mountain ridge in Afghanistan. “I was already starting to refer to the Predator and myself as ‘I,’ even though the airplane was thousands of miles away,” Martin notes ruefully.

**** Government Proves Virgin's Wingman On Singapore Alliance Strategy <http://www.smh.com.au/business/government-proves-virgins-wingman-on-singapore-alliance-strategy-20110913-1k7q7.html>
Matt O'Sullivan, Sydney Morning Herald

The federal government has again thrown its support behind Virgin Australia as the airline attempts to win regulatory approval for a strategic alliance with Singapore Airlines.

**** Singapore Domainer Gets Jail For .XXX Domain Registration <http://domaingang.com/domain-news/singapore-domainer-gets-jail-for-xxx-domain-registration/>
DomainGang

Ethics in far away tech haven Singapore are strict. So strict , that Jiaming Sim found out it’s not easy to defend his own trademark.

**** Singapore Campus Political Associations: Big Talkers, Little Doers? <http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2011/09/14/singapore-campus-political-associations-big-talkers-little-doers/>
Guanyinmiao's Musings

Unless the student groups are willing to take a leap of faith and be more adventurous in organising useful vis-à-vis sessions to produce tangible results, not much will change in the years to come.

**** Incestuous Links <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/09/incestuous-links.html>
Singapore Notes

Defending his ministerial pay policy, Lee Kuan Yew says of his generously compensated ministers, "If they're quality people, they have no trouble going out." Astute observers will note that Wong is staying very much within the incestuous nest of government related organisations. If the headhunters know the quality of every outstanding person, as Lee maintains in his book, how is it that private sector firms have not beat a path to their doors? The same awkward question may be asked of George Yeo, Mah Bow Tan and Raymond Lim. Either they are too complacent or too shy to send out their resumes, or the rejection rate was just too embarrassing to endure.

**** Can Singapore Engineer Creativity? <http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/09/13/singapore-startups/?section=magazines_fortune>
Katherine Ryder, Fortune

Generous funding is important to fledgling companies. But ideas may matter even more. As Singapore's startup project matures, many wonder if such support will actually translate into truly original ideas.

**** Income Ceiling Raised To S$12,000 For All ECs <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110914-0001020/Income-ceiling-raised-to-S$12,000-for-all-ECs>
Today

**** 3 Young S'poreans Take On The Death Penalty <http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/features/item/73-3-young-sporeans-take-on-the-death-penalty>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

You won’t hear many Singaporeans speak so boldly, especially on an issue which the majority of the public are not too interested in. They are the words of primarily three young Singaporeans – Kirsten Han, 22; Priscilla Chia, 19; and Damien Chng, 20. They helm the campaign group, We Believe In Second Chances (WBSC), which includes several other volunteers as well.

**** PA Should Be Reformed To Be More Inclusive <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/09/pa-should-be-reformed-to-be-more-inclusive/>
Ghui With Ravi Philemon, The Online Citizen

If the PA is indeed impartial and is just working on behalf of the government; and if the government feels that opposition MPs cannot support of promote its programmes, wouldn’t it then be better for a civil servant to be appointed as grassroots advisers in opposition-held constituencies?

**** 新加坡人才立国显奇效 <http://news.ifeng.com/gundong/detail_2011_09/14/9156136_0.shtml>
暨佩娟, 人民日报

如果问一位新加坡人:新加坡有什么?你多半会听到这样的回答:新加坡什么都没有,只有人才。在全球最具竞争力的国家行列中,新加坡稳居前三名。从最早的向外输出制造业产品,到后来输出高科技,到作为亚洲的金融中心向外输出金融,再到现在向外输出战略思想,被称为东盟“大脑”和“军师”的新加坡不动声色地完成着从低端产品输出到高端思想输出的蜕变。人才立国就是“弹丸之地”新加坡之所以能够创造这一系列奇迹的秘诀所在。

**** MAS 'Likely To Ease Stance On Singdollar': Economists <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_712757.html>
Aaron Low, Straits Times

Economists believe the increasing risk of a recession may prompt the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) to ease its exchange rate policy when it meets next month.

**** Why Official Secrets Act Offender Cannot Be Named <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_712752.html>
K. C. Vijayan, Straits Times

The Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC) on Tuesday said details of cases relating to the Official Secrets Act (OSA) are at times withheld because disclosure could compromise the very interests protected by the Act.

**** Flower Totems On Orchard Road To Be Moved To Sentosa <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_712785.html>
Lin Wenjian, Straits Times

The flower totems, which added colour and vibrancy to the greenery along Orchard Road, were introduced in 2009 as part of the Orchard Road Mall Enhancement Works.

However, maintaining the plants proved to be difficult. In July 2009, the initial orchid blooms were replaced by bromeliads, but it still did not solve the problem.

**** Elections Are Over. What Now? <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4957-elections-are-over-what-now->
Singapore Democratic Party

The PAP's system of securing the vote and then suppressing everything else thereafter is archaic and not the way forward for a modern society. We need a change in the way politics is run in Singapore if we are going to remain viable as a nation in the years ahead.

**** Social Inequality In Singapore <http://yeejj.wordpress.com/2011/09/14/social-inequality/>
Yee Jenn Jong

We need to occasionally pause to review our model of pursuing growth at all cost to see what effects it has had on society. We need to also do a more comprehensive study and debate on minimum wage to see if it can be one of the tools to help deal with social inequality.

**** Cycling Must Be A Key Part Of Singapore’s Future <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/09/14/cycling-must-be-a-key-part-of-singapores-future/>
Yawning Bread

**** Former PM Lee Says Singapore Won’t Buy European Bonds, Monetary Union Can’t Be Saved <http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/former-pm-lee-says-singapore-wont-buy-european-bonds-monetary-union-cant-be-saved/2011/09/14/gIQAFe6ZRK_story.html>
Associated Press

Singapore has no plans to buy bonds from European countries facing a debt crisis, former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew said Wednesday.

Europe’s monetary union will eventually break apart into two or three separate tiers because of economic differences among the member states, Lee said.