[MyAppleMenu] Sep 13, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Sep 13 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Mac OS X Lion Knows You! <http://brajeshwar.com/2011/mac-os-x-lion-understands-you-more-better/>
Brajeshwar

Another one of the many finer little details that makes the Mac OS X stand apart from everything else. I was tweaking my screensaver when I noticed that the places mentioned in my iPhoto Album are marked with the right icons.

**** MacBook Air Gets EFI Update As Thunderbolt Displays Get Ready For Shipment <http://www.macgasm.net/2011/09/12/macbook-air-efi-update-thunderbolt-display-ready-shipment/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Joshua Schnell, Macgasm

Apple has just rolled out a MacBook Air EFI Firmware update in preparation for all of those sexy Thunderbolt Displays hitting the market in the coming weeks.

**** Waiting For Thunderbolt--one Port To Rule Them All <http://news.cnet.com/8301-33200_3-20104881-290/waiting-for-thunderbolt-one-port-to-rule-them-all/>
Harry McCracken, CNET

I'm hoping for good news in 2012, but I fret that Thunderbolt--even more than FireWire--will end up being "that connector that's a hit on Macs but an underutilized oddity on PCs." I keep meeting with companies in the PC hardware business and expressing my enthusiasm for it--and getting various combinations of skepticism, caution, and fear in return.

**** The Best Disk Cloning App For Mac OS X <http://lifehacker.com/5839185/the-best-disk-cloning-app-for-mac-os-x>
Adam Dachis, Lifehacker

Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) is great because it's easy to configure, it gets the job done quickly, and you can pretty much set it and forget it.

**** Identity Finder 5.1 Helps Keep Your Personal Data Secure <http://www.macworld.com/article/162101/2011/09/identity_finder_5_1_helps_keep_your_personal_data_secure.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

This scanning program is dedicated to rooting out personal information cached without encryption anywhere on your computer's internal and attached disks. It can also securely delete, encrypt, or move files with troubling personal details.

**** 500 Days With The iPad <http://www.splatf.com/2011/09/ipad-fivehundred/>
Dan Frommer, SplatF

**** For Apple, China Looms Large <http://allthingsd.com/20110913/for-apple-china-looms-large/>
John Paczkowski, AllThingsD

**** Writing Machines — Their Uses And Meaning <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/12/writing-machines-their-uses-and-meaning/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Steve Lohr, New York Times

**** Writers Who Don't Read <http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2011/09/12/writing_reading_imprint/index.html>
Buzz Poole, Salon

More and more aspiring authors aren't hitting the books. What does that say about our culture?

**** City Aubade <http://www.slate.com/id/2303646/?from=rss>
Vanesha Pravin, Slate

**** HDB SERS: Family Loses Flat Of 16 Years Over Technicality <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/09/hdb-sers-family-loses-flat-of-16-years-over-technicality/>
Leong Sze Hian, Lee Mei Hwee And Alex Lew, The Online Citizen

If you take a person’s flat away and give him/her a new replacement, is it fair to impose this new condition, which would not be there had he/she continued to own the flat, if not for being “forced” to En-Bloc?

**** Poor Work-life Balance Causing IT Shortfall? <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110913-0000305/Poor-work-life-balance-causing-IT-shortfall?>
Tan Weizhen, Today

As the IT industry in Singapore grapples with a shortfall in professionals, a survey has found that half of the IT professionals polled reported that they face more problems with work-life balance in their profession, compared to those in other occupations.

**** Split Opinions Need Not Make Us Less United <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110913-0000290/Split-opinions-need-not-make-us-less-united>
Tan Jen Lee, Today

If there is no avenue for one political party to challenge another, how can we be sure that we are choosing the best leaders for our nation? Political stagnation can be as damaging as "constant bickering".

**** Monday Morning At A Police Station Reporting Another Scam <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/09/13/monday-morning-at-a-police-station-reporting-another-scam/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

**** Chinese Major Buyer Of Singapore Luxury Apartments <http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2011-09/12/content_13669052.htm>
Xinhua

Foreigners are buying about 60 percent of the luxury apartments with a price tag of more than 5 million Singapore dollars (US$4.1 million) in the first half of the year, local daily Straits Times reported on Monday.

**** Elections 2011 Show How Far We Are Away From Change <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4895-elections-2011-show-how-far-we-are-away-from-change>
Singapore Democratic Party

But there are pitfalls ahead and the Singapore Demiocrats need to warn Singaporeans that we cannot afford to think that from here on out we just have to rely on elections once every five or six years to bring about democratic change. If that is all we do, we will fail and change will not come.

**** PKMS President Stripped Of Membership Following Arrest <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110913-0000953/PKMS-president-stripped-of-membership-following-arrest>
Today

In a statement it released today, it said its supreme executive council (SEC) came to the decision after an emergency meeting on Sunday night.

This follows his arrest on Saturday morning after a raid by Singapore Customs for contraband cigarettes, which were stored in the PKMS building along Changi Road.

**** Covering A Changing Political Landscape: The Challenge For National Media <http://journalism.sg/2011/09/13/reporting-elections/>
Cherian George, Journalism.sg

In Singapore, no matter how credible the blueprints of the opposition are, we should not be surprised if journalists exercising independent news judgment conclude that any statement from finance minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam is more newsworthy than Tan Jee Say’s alternative economic plan. Tan may move hearts, but Tharman moves markets and affects the economic decisions that households and firms make tomorrow.

But what are the implications of this fairly universal approach to journalism in a country with a hegemonic, dominant party? By treating alternatives as less newsworthy because there is so little chance of these alternatives becoming reality, is there not a danger of journalism being biased for the status quo and contributing to a self-fulfilling prophecy?

**** How People Can Just Fall Into Policy Black Holes.... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/09/how-people-can-just-fall-into-policy.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

There are very few things worse than falling into a policy blackhole in the PAP system. You can get into a really unexpected painful situation....and the PAP govt is not going to help you.