[MyAppleMenu] Sep 12, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Sep 12 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** <http://www.myapplemenu.com/2011/09/12/IM004515591/>
Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu

**** Seeking A Keyboard That Enhances The iPad <http://www.statesman.com/business/technology/seeking-a-keyboard-that-enhances-the-ipad-1843946.html>
Rachel Metz, Associated Press

**** How To Make Lion's iCal Less Annoying <http://www.macworld.com/article/162218/2011/09/how_to_make_lions_ical_less_annoying.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

We asked a number of Macworld editors what their gripes were, and set out to find solutions. Here are the top iCal annoyances with Lion.

**** Customize Lion's Text Navigation <http://www.macworld.com/article/162231/2011/09/customize_lions_text_navigation.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** YouTube Founders Revamping A Site For Link Sharing <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/12/technology/youtube-founders-aim-to-revamp-delicious.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Jenna Wortham, New York Times

The men are trying to inject new life into Delicious, a social bookmarking service that, in its time, was popular among the technorati, but failed to catch on with a broader audience.

“What we plan to do,” Mr. Hurley said in an interview here last week, “is try to introduce Delicious to the rest of the world.”

**** The Biographer’s New Best Friend <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/opinion/sunday/the-biographers-new-best-friend.html>
Stephen Mihm, New York Times

For generations, biographers have used the same methods to conduct research: they waded through the paper trail left by their subject, piecing together a life from epistolary fragments. Based on what they found, they might troll through newspapers from specific dates in the hope of finding coverage of their subject. There were no new-fangled technologies that promised to transform their research, no way of harnessing machines to reveal new layers of historical truth.

That’s all starting to change. Several campaigns to digitize newspapers — Readex’s “American Historical Newspapers” available by subscription at research universities, or the free “Chronicling America” collection available at the Library of Congress — have the potential to revolutionize biographical research. Newspapers are often described as the “first draft of history,” and thanks to these new tools, biographers can tap them in ways that an earlier generation of scholars could only have dreamed of.

**** Pass The Populism <http://www.utne.com/Mind-Body/Pass-The-Populism-Farewell-Potlucks.aspx>
Ana Maria Spagna, Utne Reader

A potluck dinner at the edge of the civilized world.

**** Evildoers And Us <http://chronicle.com/article/EvildoersUs/128910/>
Alan Wolfe, The Chronicle Of Higher Education

The problem of evil is one of our oldest intellectual conundrums. Volumes have been written attempting to define evil, to catalog its horrors, to account for its persistence, to explain its appeal, to confront its consequences. The moment we begin to ask questions about the nature of evil, however, we begin to understand how difficult it is to answer them. One way to start the discussion is to narrow the focus.

**** How Wrong We Were! <http://politicalwritings.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/how-wrong-we-were/>
Political Writings

Something is wrong if after 50 years of existence, we still need a People’s Association to explain government policy.

Million-dollar ministers should do it themselves, and their enthusiastic PAP MP’s who vote to ramrod such such policies down our throats should do it themselves.

**** People’s Association: Searching For A Way Forward <http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/people’s-association-searching-for-a-way-forward/>
Guanyinmiao's Musings

The idea to have the President’s Office oversee the PA is highly plausible and well-intentioned; though the composition of the Board would have to be reworked, and some might find it uncomfortable to entrust the Head of State with such an undertaking. However, if managed appropriately, and the President is prepared adequately for the tasks involved, it would be a great way to bring about the apolitical nature of the organisation.

**** Reef Safeguard Sacrificed Secretly For US, Singapore <http://www.watoday.com.au/environment/conservation/reef-safeguard-sacrificed-secretly-for-us-singapore-20110911-1k48j.html>
Philip Dorling, WA Today

The federal government has secretly wound back a critical environmental protection for the Great Barrier Reef against shipping accidents in order to avoid a diplomatic stoush with the United States and Singapore.

Leaked US embassy cables published by WikiLeaks have revealed that the government has "weakened" the compulsory pilotage regime for large vessels, including oil tankers, chemical tankers and liquefied gas carriers, sailing through the sensitive maritime environment of the Torres Strait.

**** It's Called 'Framing The Issue' <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4950-its-called-framing-the-issue>
Singapore Democratic Party

The PAP's strategy is such that if it can get Singaporeans to accept that confrontational politics is bad, then the opposition will shy away from such an approach. It discourages the opposition from taking positions diametrically opposite that of the ruling party's and to find effective ways of communicating these to the public. It thus controls the political narrative in this country.

But do we stop to think that with all that the PAP is doing, is confronting the government necessarily bad? If the opposition does not confront, then what should it do to change policy? And if the opposition should confront the PAP, how should it be done?

**** PM Lee Defends PAP Involvement In PA <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/pm-lee-defends-pap-involvement-in-pa.html>
Ewen Boey, Yahoo!

**** PAP Must Depoliticise The People’s Association For Their Own Good <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/09/pap-must-depoliticise-the-peoples-association-for-their-own-good/>
Eric Tan Heng Chong, The Online Citizen

The PAP should depoliticise the PA for their own good as they will be getting invaluable feedback from the public. The danger of having a PAP grassroots adviser is that you get to hear what you want to hear – group think.

**** IT Workers Looking To Pull Plug On Careers: S'pore Computer Society <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110912-0000690/IT-workers-looking-to-pull-plug-on-careers--Spore-Computer-Society>
Tan Weizhen, Today

It is estimated that about 23 per cent of IT professionals in Singapore intend to leave the profession for a completely new career path.

**** Wong Kan Seng Appointed Special Advisor For Economic Co-operation <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_712140.html>
Teo Wan Gek, Straits Times

Mr Wong's primary role is to advise the prime minister on Singapore's economic co-operation programmes with China and other Asian countries.

**** Singapore Says Three Held For Links To Militant Groups <http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/09/12/idINIndia-59292320110912>
Kevin Lim, Reuters

Singapore has detained three men suspected of involvement in "terrorism-related activities", the government said on Monday, a day after the United States marked the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.