[MyAppleMenu] Sep 3, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 3 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Parallels Desktop 7 Adds Lion Virtualization, More <http://www.macworld.com/article/162108/2011/09/parallels_desktop_7_adds_lion_virtualization_more.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

Perhaps the most important of these new features is the ability to create virtual machines that run the client version of Lion itself, thanks to a change in the end-user license agreement of the desktop operating system’s latest release.

**** Bugs & Fixes: Microsoft Outlook Annoyances <http://www.macworld.com/article/162123/2011/09/outlook_annoyances.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Ted Landau, Macworld

**** Lidpop 1.0.2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/162128/2011/09/lidpop_gem.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

Lidpop does two very simple things: It plays a sound of your choosing when you close your laptop’s lid (or, more precisely, when your computer—laptop or desktop—goes to sleep), and it plays another sound of your choosing when you open your laptop’s lid (when your computer wakes up).

**** The Part Of Xcode 4 That Tires Me Out <http://inessential.com/2011/09/02/the_part_of_xcode_4_that_tires_me_out>
Brent Simmons, Inessential

I get it that Xcode 4 probably needs one-big-window as its suggested and primary interface. And I also realize that it’s possible to open multiple windows.

But I do wish I could make it work more like Xcode 3. A separate window for debugging, for build results, for laying-out UI. These tasks are all different enough that using a single window becomes an exercise in pane (I’m tempted to write “pain”) management. And my time and yours is too valuable for that.

**** Lion Provides First Steps Toward Power Savings <http://tidbits.com/article/12422?rss>
Marco Tabini, TidBITS

Many of the under-the-hood changes that have been introduced in Lion are meant to shift the control of apps from the user to the operating system. Thanks to features like Automatic Termination, Auto Save, and Resume, Lion is increasingly the arbiter of when and how an app gets to run.

We are certainly not there yet, but it’s possible to imagine a future in which all these technologies work together to provide users with notably improved battery life. For example, if Mac OS X detects that an application is simply idling, it could cause it to save all its data automatically, transparently terminate it, and then conveniently bring everything back when requested. That works in iOS today, and could work in Mac OS X soon.

**** Why Good Writers Aren’t Good Talkers <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/04/books/review/except-when-i-write-by-arthur-krystal-book-review.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Mary Jo Murphy, New York Times

But in some ways Krystal is most revelatory when he writes about himself — or more particularly, about what he is not. Krystal is not a great talker. He is not a novelist. He is not a night watchman, although he once played one in a shabby Upper West Side hotel. In the two fine essays that bookend the collection, he unblinkingly examines these wouldas that were never truly couldas.

**** Corsican Summer <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/sep/02/saturday-poem-corsican-summer-linda-chase?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Linda Chase, The Guardian

**** The God Clause And The Reinsurance Industry <http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/the-god-clause-and-the-reinsurance-industry-09012011.html>
Brendan Greeley, BusinessWeek

The risk business can tell us a lot about catastrophes. Why don't we listen?

**** PA Responds On Advisers <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110903-0000306/PA-responds-on-advisers>
Ooi Hui Mei, People's Association, Today

It is not possible to appoint Opposition MPs as advisers, because we cannot ask Opposition MPs to help the government to connect better with the people. Nor can we reasonably expect them to help the government explain, implement or improve its policies. This is especially true of policies which they oppose, such as restructuring our tax system when we introduced the GST, and relying on ComCare instead of unconditional welfare.

However, the government does involve the MP, whether PAP or Opposition, when he has a role to play, such as on town council matters and HDB upgrading projects, where the MP has substantial and important responsibilities.

**** Israeli Diplomat Slams Singapore’s Counter-Terrorism Efforts <http://rot.blogsome.com/2011/09/02/israeli-diplomat-slams-singapores-counter-terrorism-efforts/>
The Rot Within

**** Wikileaks: PAP Ensures Positive Press Coverage <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4946-wikileaks-pap-ensures-positive-press-coverage>
Singapore Democratic Party

**** 维基泄密指政府对新闻管制 令本地记者感到苦恼 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110903_021.shtml>
联合早报

其中一份电文,是美国官员同三名《海峡时报》的年轻记者谈话后在2009年做的报告。报告指出新加坡记者为报道本地新闻的自由空间受限感到苦恼,政治领导人为确保《海峡》的报道符合政府的立场而不时向报社施压。

《海峡》总编辑韩福光接受本报询问时说:“我们不会对这个故事置评,因为我们不对泄密或谣言做回应。”

**** Demystifying The President’s Office Will Add Prestige To It <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/09/demystify-president-office-add-prestige/>
Ghui, The Online Citizen

All public offices need to be transparent, open, responsible and accountable. To imply otherwise would be a contradiction in terms. As a first step in office, Dr Tan should publicly distance himself from Mr Nathan’s comments and seek to be as candid and as guileless as possible.

**** Elite-grassroots Split In PAP <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/9/3/focus/9412909&sec=focus>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

Currently, one clear cause of the split within the PAP, as well as between the government and the public, is the widening gap between rich and poor.

Another strong debate raging now is: how far the party leadership should act to address public unhappiness or meet demands for policy changes.

**** The Last Of The non-Chinese Presidents <http://everythingalsocomplain.wordpress.com/2011/09/03/the-last-of-the-non-chinese-presidents/>
Everything Also Complain

**** Latest WikiLeaks Cables Include 700 From Singapore <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_709042.html>
Zakir Hussain, Straits Times

**** Abdul Ghani: I Do Not See Any Problem Until Expiry Of Agreement <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/9/2/nation/9411873&sec=nation>
Nelson Benjamin And Hamdan Raja Abdullah, The Star

Johor has assured Singapore that it is fully committed to fulfilling its obligations to supply water to the island for the next 50 years.